thanks to bedfordshire fire servive

waggers

Featured Posts

this Tuesday at my marina there was a fire tender and a few hours after getting to my boat a couple of the fire officers came along the pontoons. had a chat and they asked if they could check my boat out, which was fine by me. he came on and my monoxide detector at the front was good (only fitted it last year) and the dual smoke alarm/monoxide detector in the bedroom was 7 years old. so he fitted a smoke alarm good for 10 years and gave me a fireangel monoxide detector as well to replace the dual unit in the bedroom.

great, but then asked my girlfriend and I about our houses and our smoke alarms, both ours were past there best by dates so they gave us both 2 smoke alarms for our houses as well.

how good is that

Should we be relying on the fire service to supply these things for us, what next extinguishers. Maybe they should offer them at cost. I could buy half a dozen for the money I spent of diesel for the boat today.

I did not ask for the fire service here in Bedfordshire to take a couple of days at our marina, i'm sure that the crews liked the change away from there station.

they asked if they could inspect my boat, I did not ask them. I did not ask for replacement smoke detectors or monoxide detector replacement. I would have paid them for replacements, there were just given and fitted. after all I had already bought and fitted what I needed.

they also asked about exit from my boat in the event of a fire while on board and were happy that I could exit either at the front or back.

I think it is excellent service and very thoughtful of them, part of my nearly £3000 contribution to my council taxes in Bedfordshire and my marina fees which are more.

so ditchcrawler wind your b neck in please

Edited by waggers
  • Greenie 2

• 3 weeks later...

Should we be relying on the fire service to supply these things for us, what next extinguishers. Maybe they should offer them at cost. I could buy half a dozen for the money I spent of diesel for the boat today.

It's a sum gain argument. Too many people see alarms as round-toits. Thus if fire personnel are able to tackle the issue at the critical point in the conversation, and in some cases fix in the alarm, then the alarm is more likely to be used.

When fire or CO occurs at a time when people are asleep, then alarms are very likely to activate and give enough warning for the person to exit safely. i.e. more people are likely to survive such incidents. At a Fire Kills event I attended about five years ago, figures presented estimated fatal fires as costing around £1.3m.

So the budget for an annul giveaway of bulk purchased alarms can be saved by those alarms prevent one or two deaths by fire - not counting the human cost of everyone affected by, or involved with such events.

Well I just got scammed for Co2 detectors..I pointed out had some but got charged for more during work on horror house then found out had paid for empty boxes. So used my own, gets to point that just had enough.

Hi,

Just want to give a thank you to our local fire service in West Glasgow who came down to our moorings at Bowling and gave everyone an inspection and handed out free fire alarms. Most people had enough but a few were needing some and so the free ones were gratefully appreciated.

strummerjoe