Before I tighten up the banjo fitting on my Amal pump!

jenevers

Featured Posts

I presume that this fitting will be some obscure Whitworth part that is difficult to replace.

So before I try to tighten it up to stop a slight fuel weep,I thought I'd ask the Gardner collective for their knowledge of availability just in case something goes "prang"!!!!

Also, as a matter of interest, would it be possible to bypass the Amal pump and rely on the fuel pump with the levers on, to pump enough fuel through to the injectors??

Edited by jenevers

I presume that this fitting will be some obscure Whitworth part that is difficult to replace.

So before I try to tighten it up to stop a slight fuel weep,I thought I'd ask the Gardner collective for their knowledge of availability just in case something goes "prang"!!!!

Also, as a matter of interest, would it be possible to bypass the Amal pump and rely on the fuel pump with the levers on, to pump enough fuel through to the injectors??

They will tolerate being pretty tight, but of course there is a limit...

It's possible that Amal have stocks of the part, but it won't be cheap. Having failed to get any reply from them over another part, I decided to make one as I was building up a complete spare pump. See:-

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70676&page=2, Post No21

I made it with extra thread length and a deeper brass cap nut, just to reduce the risk of stripping the thread.

Be aware that these fittings came in different sizes for different engines, but I should think all the LWs have the same fitting.

Don't overtighten it. Replace the copper washers with Dowty washers and your leaks will be gone.

MP.

The banjo on mine has a bigger hole in the inner face, a Dowty washer would be no use on that. No idea why, but it's not the only one that I've seen like that.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

• 2 weeks later...

They will tolerate being pretty tight, but of course there is a limit...

It's possible that Amal have stocks of the part, but it won't be cheap. Having failed to get any reply from them over another part, I decided to make one as I was building up a complete spare pump. See:-

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70676&page=2, Post No21

I made it with extra thread length and a deeper brass cap nut, just to reduce the risk of stripping the thread.

Be aware that these fittings came in different sizes for different engines, but I should think all the LWs have the same fitting.

The banjo on mine has a bigger hole in the inner face, a Dowty washer would be no use on that. No idea why, but it's not the only one that I've seen like that.

Tim

Other alternative is to remove and anneal the copper washers. Have done this a few times on motorcycle applications.

Always remembering...Tight is tight & Broke is broke.