Blackburn locks - everything working is this a first ?

jonathanA

Featured Posts

Went down Blackburn locks today, all paddle gear operable ....

Have I slipped into a parallel universe or have CRT discovered some budget to spend on the L&L....

Mind you also made 3 trips down weed hatch to remove lots of plastic etc from the prop....

Left Pennington Flash n Sunday morning and we are now a few miles short of Burnley. All the locks have been fine and must give a big thank you to CRT volunteer Peter, who aided us up the entire Wigan flight, in company with N.B Twizzle.

The only blight was Rishton, were the canal is a disgrace, with rubbish strewn both on the bank and in the cut.

Did the same trip last month.

You want to see Rochdale! It makes the Walsall Canal really inviting

James

I have to agree. However they have a better class of drinkers. The bunch of people gathered at lock 50 with carrier bags of cans are really friendly and helpful - one of them even offered to nip along to the corner shop for me, and their knowledge of the peculiarities of the lock is second to none, as they seem to be permanently stationed there.

Strange. We moved our community narrow boat from Huncoat to Rosegrove and back last week to empty the toilet and fill up with water and we commented on how little rubbish there was. There are regular canal clean-ups around here now but unfortunately we can't seem to educate the local residents that the canal is not the best place to dump unwanted furniture and rubbish.

Janet

Went through last year and locks were ok, although plenty of rubbish in the canal. There were two CRT guys forking it out at the by washes into large heaps. I also saw a group of volunteers litter picking on the towpath so thumbs up to that good work.

It is good to see that the Barrowford Flight on the Leeds Liverpool is getting a spruce up after years of neglect with lock gate and fence painting and litter picking etc by CRT staff. I think the staff are also there to assist boaters through the flight too, which is welcome after some serious incidents last season.

Came through Wigan, Blackburn and Burnley. You would think you were going through a rubbish tip. It doesn't improve till you go through the Foulridge Tunnel

I will certainly second that! Not until we cleared Foulridge did the rubbish in the canal diminish. Strange, Wigan was fine, but from Rishton onwards it was truly dire.

Anyway mines bigger than yours, 30ft of builders grade clingfilm as used to hold bricks on pallets, round my prop, in Blackburn. I missed the holes.