Immersion heater going cold

269sky

Featured Posts

Can anyone shed some light on a problem please?

I am currently connected to shore line and have been heating the hot water via the immersion switch which up to a few days ago had been working fine. The last couple of days I have noticed that the water isn't staying hot for long and whereas you could easily have two showers and wash up we are only managing one shower before it goes cold.

It is a Surecal 55lt calorifier which is under the bed horizontally (have read some negative comments on these types).

I switched on the Eberspacher this morning which heated it up after about an hour and was fine and seems to work but again has gone cold quickly.

How long do you need to keep the immersion switched on to heat the water up?

Should you keep it on permanently or just switch on when needed?

How long should the water keep warm for?

Could I have a problem with the thermostat?

Thanks

My calorifier is about half the size of yours. I have a home energy monitor connected to my incoming shorepower feed, which shows amps being used at any given time, and so can see that the immersion heater takes about 40 mins to heat it up fully before switching itself off. I guess yours will take longer. If I was to power it down completely it would probably stay warm (but not really hot) overnight. In practise though I keep it switched on all the time I'm on the boat, as it cuts in and out as needed to keep up the temperature.

You may have air in the calorifier and therefore not have as much hot water as you thought.

How long do you need to keep the immersion switched on to heat the water up?

Should you keep it on permanently or just switch on when needed?

How long should the water keep warm for?

As long as it takes, depends on heater size and tank size

Your choice but if you are on shoreline i would leave it on 24..7

If you do not use any water over 24 hours but the more you use (add cold) the shorter the time.

Normally the hot feed from the tank is at the top of the tank and unless the pipework dips down from there, just opening a tap allows any air out. If there is a dip just cracking a joint by the tank and then re-tightening it when all the air is gone will do it.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the comments and suggestions I will try and see if there is any trapped air in the tank - does it matter if it is cold or hot when I do it? Also, the water pump has now started to cut in as if using it even though I'm not (Jabsco) - it happens about two/three times a night. I find if I swivel the mixer tap in one direction it doesn't seem to do it but does in the other direction towards the cold setting. Do you think this is all related?

Hi everyone

Thanks for the comments and suggestions I will try and see if there is any trapped air in the tank - does it matter if it is cold or hot when I do it? Also, the water pump has now started to cut in as if using it even though I'm not (Jabsco) - it happens about two/three times a night. I find if I swivel the mixer tap in one direction it doesn't seem to do it but does in the other direction towards the cold setting. Do you think this is all related?

That sounds like a dripping tap and no accumulator

No I don't have an accumulator but have I think a non return valve and filter etc...someone did say the tap a mixer type would cause this and suggested I removed the filter in it which I did. No taps seem to be dripping but wondered if it is these taps which you just lift up for on and down for off not really being able to be tightened properly like the old fashioned taps with washers?

When on a shoreline I leave my immersion hetaer on 24/7 365. At moment not plugged in so heat tank each night turning engine off at or before 8pm and still very hot water for 2 showers plus 12 hours later. Ours is a bog standard upright calorifier situated in airing cupboard inside the boat. If we had a cold tank then I reckon it prob takes 6 plus hours to heat the tank.

Tim

Thanks for this...maybe I am not leaving it on long enough. Lovely being situated under the bed in the winter but can be a bit hot this time of year plus and minuses I suppose.

Thanks for this...maybe I am not leaving it on long enough. Lovely being situated under the bed in the winter but can be a bit hot this time of year plus and minuses I suppose.

The connecting pipes to the calorifer can lose a surprising amount of heat, so it's well worth properly insulating them for some distance with the silvery gray foam pipe lagging stuff. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete