Beginning or end of season oil change

jenevers

Featured Posts

I asked this question recently and Martyn 1 answered it.....but I can't find it anywhere on the forum anymore!!!!????

Anyway , just thought I'd put it here for others to read.

I've always thought it best practice to renew the engine oil at the END of the season , so that the engine was sitting in lovely new oil with no acids or other undesirable combustion chemicals. But Martyn 1 pointed out that condensation could collect in the engine over the winter months and that this could be removed by changing the oil at the BEGINNING of the cruising season.

I asked Castrol for their opinion and they agreed with Martyn 1 ........change the oil at the BEGINNING of the season.

Nice one Martyn.

Hmm...... Wonder what other habits we might practice, assuming they're the "best" way to do it!

Example ......... It isn't necessarily a good thing to have your extinguisher immediately at the point where the fire will be. If it all goes up, you can't get to the extinguisher to use it! ( statement from Furnessvale, yesterday)

I'm moving my fire blanket from next to the cooker, next job!

Edited by jenevers

I spoke with Beta technical and they say change at the end of the season. That is what I do and never had a problem.

The Beta manual is quite specific and says to change at the END of the season.

Well there you go!

Did you ask them "Why?" And did you mention about winter time condensation?

Edited by jenevers

I'll say it.

What season.laugh.png

Seriously it just proves that there is no correct time,other than number of hours runtime even then it is just what you or the experts believe, at this moment in time.rolleyes.gif

I change the oil when an oil change is due, which is hardly ever at either end of "the season". Over the years I have heard all sorts of reasons why the engine oil should be changed at particulr time in the year, but none of them have seemed to be based upon ant realistic technical evidence.

I suspect that some people just like to make things more complicated than they need to be, and the oil companies have a vested interest in us all changeing our oil as frequently as possible.

I was in the end of season oil change club until recently. With only 340 hours last season out of recommended 450 hour oil change interval, and keen to get moving this March, I decided on three weeks cruising before oil change. Admit to feeling a little guilty until I read the opinions here.

I don't keep a log of the number of hours that my engine runs, so I have no idea when I "should" have the engine serviced. In fact this usually happens mid-season because it's convenient for us. Last year we had it done at Springwood Haven en route to Alvecote in August, and they did a good job (as always) so we'll probably do the same again this year.

I just used to change ours around Feb/March time, just because it was easier to remember. It didn't usually co-incide with any sort of 'season' though as last winter aside we continued boating through the winter. It probably was changed more than was strictly necessary particularly the last one in March this year but better that than not frequently enough.

Our Lister LPWS4 requires oil changes every 100 hours - that's about every 3 weeks during the 'Summer Cruising Season'

Off to Llangollen this weekend - total trip will be in excess of 168 hours (Canal planner) so will be changing the oil twice in the trip.

Edit : -

Actually 177 hours + lock times + (maybe) odd hours on non-moving days

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Quite simply there is no season, boating is 24/7 365 thats why the licence runs for 12 months if you so wish to buy one of that duration. Oil is changed at the recomended intervals irespective of the time of year.

Tim

But Martyn 1 pointed out that condensation could collect in the engine over the winter months and that this could be removed by changing the oil at the BEGINNING of the cruising season.

This would be a convincing argument if oil absorbed water, but it doesn't. It IS a good argument for running the engine up to temperature before changing oil though, if you perceive the amount of water to gather in the engine as significant (which I don't - thinking about it its a function of day-night temperature difference and number of days not running in between being run up to temperature. Maybe its significant for boats left long periods without being used?)

Any, small amount of condensation will descend to the bottom of the sump where it will do no harm, drained by an oil change or evaporated by running the engine to working temperature. Maybe the majority of boats only require an annual oil change? I have never understood why oil, dormant in a sump, even for a year must be replaced in a boat or vehicle engine.

Alan

Even small amounts of moisture will emulsify with the oil as it is pumped around the engine. This will reduce the effectiveness of the lubrication and can lead to premature wear. We have seen some badly worn bearing and liner surfaces causes by water contamination.Not all engines behave the same way with regard to condensation. Currently I have three Gardners , a Dorman and a Lister JP in the workshop. At 0730 this morning the Gardners and the Dorman had bone dry blocks. The JP was running in condensation. You pays your money and takes your choice I suppose.Engine oil should always be changed in accordance with the manufacturers lubrication schedule with the correct grade of oil at the appropriate service interval. Generally amounts of water collecting through naturally occurring condensation are small in comparison to what gets in there from internal leaks and the like. However moisture gets in your crankcase it should not be there and changing the oil at the start of the season gets rid of the risk. Simples!