Turning Via Backing and Filling

mark99

Featured Posts

Anyone tried to pivot your N/B boat in a tight circle using the yachting technique above?

EG to turn right.

Say prop walk, in reverse, kicks the stern to the left.

Tiller hard over to left, burst of forward, then burst of reverse leaving tiller still over to left - repeat burst of forward, repeat burst of reverse.

I suppose it's not great for winding holes as prop walk does not change so every winding hole needs to be on the "correct side" or your stern will have to go in the shallow bit of the winding hole.

Anyone tried to pivot your N/B boat in a tight circle using the yachting technique above?

EG to turn right.

Tiller hard over to left, burst of forward, then burst of reverse leaving tiller still over to left - repeat burst of forward, repeat burst of reverse.

I suppose it's not great for winding holes as prop walk does not change so every winding hole needs to be on the "correct side" or your stern will have to go in the shallow bit of the winding hole.

Yes... Most of the time.

EG to turn right.

Yes, I use it on the trip boat I steer- hydraulic wheel steering means it's hard to swing the rudder over, and the effect of the prop walk is greater than the flow over the rudder in reverse. We do always try and turn around the same way every time, though.

On the narrowboat, however, I always bring the tiller over the other way- once it's gone slack as the water changes direction. This can make quite a lot of difference to turning.

I do it sometimes .... I always take into account prop walk, wind, current, depth and then decide which way to spin, but it is always easier if you have prop walk helping you!

Turning Short around is a very useful technique and have used it on all size vessels from a 14ft inboard engine launch to a Panamax oil tanker, with different results. On Honeystreet however, and other NBs I have hired, I have noticed that the actual prop walk is not such a huge factor, however having the tiller in the correct direction during the engine going ahead and astern makes a big difference, as well as making use of the wind!

Turning Short around is a very useful technique and have used it on all size vessels from a 14ft inboard engine launch to a Panamax oil tanker, with different results. On Honeystreet however, and other NBs I have hired, I have noticed that the actual prop walk is not such a huge factor, however having the tiller in the correct direction during the engine going ahead and astern makes a big difference, as well as making use of the wind!

It's also useful to watch the prop wash and adjust the rudder angle to suit. It is often the case that with the tiller hard over against the stops the rudder stalls with part of the prop wash going the wrong side of the rudder. By easing the tiller back towards amidships slightly the prop wash is directed across the correct side of the rudder and the turning effect can often be increased.

The transverse thrust/prop walk is often reduced because of the stronger influence resulting from a very small underkeel clearance, and at times even bank effect can be a factor.

Howard

Howard

Edited by howardang

• 3 months later...