Strange Dutch Barge

Titus

Featured Posts

Can't see any mention of RCD. Can't sell it until it's 5 years old

Good point...

On the other hand they clearly can. Just that they'll be in breach of some arcane regulation or other.

I one bought a boat with no RCD when it should have had one. I then sold it with no RCD when it should have had one. There were no consequences.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Apart from a sleepless night tonight as your conscious gets the better of you.... wink.png

No, I made it perfectly clear to the buyer it should have an RCD but didn't.

He was all like 'Yeah but I LIKE this boat and this is the one I want. I don't care about stoopid EEC paperwork when I'm buying an obviously sound boat."

To flesh it out a bit more, it is a rather nondescript narrow boat with a couple of mismatched windows - one squarish and one shaped like a letter D on its face. It is unfinished and the doors are held closed by a couple of bricks as someone mentioned. I've probably seen worse. But the most bizarre bit is the bow. It's like someone has taken a fairly standard fore end shape and grafted a pointed extension on which appears slightly concave and not faired into the curve of the rest of the boat in any way. This has a stem raked forward at about 30 degrees and taken above deck level by perhaps 18-24". There are then bulwarks with large oval hawse holes in it. It adds perhaps 2' to the length, but has no function I can imagine. If it is said to be designed then it was designed to take lock gates off when travelling uphill.

I would say to EASTERNEUROPEANLADY that her friend should look more carefully at existing canal boats - the other one they have for sale look perfectly reasonable. Obviously the price is absurd (and they might look at that too), but if someone did buy it I think this fore end is certainly a feature that requires modification.

Tam

Thanks again Tam for this additional information, now I'm even happy that I couldn't see the pictures as it would have been a good reason for a sleepless night or at least a night with nightmares of weird looking boats falling out of the sky, after having been designed by someone that surely was very far from knowing how to design a boat.

Peter.

Thanks again Tam for this additional information, now I'm even happy that I couldn't see the pictures as it would have been a good reason for a sleepless night or at least a night with nightmares of weird looking boats falling out of the sky, after having been designed by someone that surely was very far from knowing how to design a boat.

Peter.

8NUjlCD.jpg

8NUjlCD.jpg

Thanks for posting this photo of the ufo, I'm glad I only discovered it this morning, so my sleepless night wasn't because of having seen it.

Now I'll have all day to forget what I just saw, and won't be bothered by it this night (I hope).

Peter.

This boat is quirky, to say the least, what can be done to improve its chances of sale. It has been fabricated, as best can be seen from the photo, by someone that can weld. The windows have got to go and so too has that bow pseudo-Dutch barge arrangement. It looks out of place and it's weak at the front end - don't think it will stand much of a clout. Good paint job needed, too.

This boat is quirky, to say the least, what can be done to improve its chances of sale. It has been fabricated, as best can be seen from the photo, by someone that can weld. The windows have got to go and so too has that bow pseudo-Dutch barge arrangement. It looks out of place and it's weak at the front end - don't think it will stand much of a clout. Good paint job needed, too.

Halve the price?

The thing that makes me smile is the "Jealous competotors are not welcome, who copy our ideas".

I know of at least one Polish firm who measured up and directly ripped off a G&J Reeves shell, but I don't think we need to have the debate as to to whether any features of this shell design are worth copying....

• Greenie 1

Two names for the same thing. I think you're both right, although I've only ever heard mollycroft used to refer to this type of roofline on showmans wagons.

I thought that the clerestory was the raised section of roof incorporating side windows, as seen in churches and on some vintage railway carriages, whereas a mollycroft was the actual vehicle (a fairground caravan) which may have incorporated that feature.

I thought that the clerestory was the raised section of roof incorporating side windows, as seen in churches and on some vintage railway carriages, whereas a mollycroft was the actual vehicle (a fairground caravan) which may have incorporated that feature.

Years ago I was friends with some fairground folk (actually dated one for a little while until warned/chased off by her brother), they used to identify their van as "the blue one with the mollycroft roof". I'm not saying you're wrong, It may well be that the entire van style is referred to as a mollycroft elsewhere, I can only speak for what I've experienced.

Years ago I was friends with some fairground folk (actually dated one for a little while until warned/chased off by her brother), they used to identify their van as "the blue one with the mollycroft roof". I'm not saying you're wrong, It may well be that the entire van style is referred to as a mollycroft elsewhere, I can only speak for what I've experienced.

sunlit_cs_gallery_preview.jpg

http://www.canopyandstars.co.uk/britain/england/yorkshire/the-mollycroft/the-mollycroft

"The Mollycroft is a lovingly restored 1940s showman’s living van, as eccentric as the people who once toured in it. A combination of dark wood and bright yellow and green decor, creates a lively but homely feel. There are sofas in both the living room and the bunk room, which doubles as the kitchen, so you have plenty of space for lazy loafing in this tumbling, spacious wagon."

Edited by Ray T

which just goes to show; the Internet doesn't really reproduce folk lore tradition - whereas the mollycroft seen here could be seen as a bastard son of the true clerestory, which is a defined architectural term but serves much the same purpose, it is in fact a mollycroft roof. The etymology is obscure but your trailor is named after the roof and not the other way around.