Strange Dutch Barge

Titus

Featured Posts

Ok, forget the poorly written advert and or the grammar & spelling - gawd knows I make enough mistakes not to tease someone else about their's

BUT

£114,000 for a 45 ft narrow boat with no engine, nor any way of providing power for all the electrical equipment listed in the advert

besides the white goods don't match - who would have a red & black stove with a white dishwasher and white fridge!! sheeesh frusty.gifbanned.gif

Edited by Bettie Boo

£114,000 for a 45 ft narrow boat with no engine, nor any way of providing power for all the electrical equipment listed in the advert

I do agree that appears a bit adrift from what I have seen of boat prices.

Daniel

Haven't we been here before?

I'm sure EastEuropeanLady has posted a similarly poorly worded ad. on Ebay previously which has been discussed on here.

I think the thread ended up being deleted (and I cant locate it now), or is my recollection incorrect.

I'm sure EastEuropeanLady has posted a similarly poorly worded ad. on Ebay previously which has been discussed on here.

We have.

And EEL jumped straight in playing her 'racist' card immediately last time too IIRC, just as she has this time. Which was, IIRC, why the last thread went downhill.

It's nothing to do with racism and everything to do with flagging up scams, but it suits EEL very nicely to claim otherwise.

I think the thread ended up being deleted (and I cant locate it now), or is my recollection incorrect.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I have the same recollection, because I think I started the thread in question, which if my memory is correct was also a boat in Birmingham with a similar use of language in the ad.

On the other hand, thinking this afternoon, could these boats be genuine sales? Built by a hard working Polish person. If he has spent 3 years building the one for 117 Grand, materials costs 27 Grand - that's 30 Grand/year wages. It's possible.

Now, as Birmingham is not a million miles from... er... Birmingham, has anyone called round to have a look at these boats and to check the 'seller' is the real seller?

Benefit of doubt and all that. I don't want people calling me a racist.

I found the Polish text from typing in the phone number into Google - is the mere mention of Poland/Polish racist?

It is worth chasing up all the way to the bitter happy end... interested to hear results.

"How many languages do you speak?"

Three. English, Finnish and German (don't mention the War!). Learned French for 5 years (forced to, English schools I'm afraid).

"Did you build in your life any boat?"

Nope but I have painted two.

"Please show me your boat."

What - so you can post it on Ebay and try to flog it?

"Regards"

Regards who?

There should be a basic set of welding and fabricating standards for construction of steel inland waterways boats. And some one who can inspect and certify them.( Most current Surveyors are not qualified for that.)

Yes it would cost for the inspection and certification , but then we would all know where we stand, and exclude the cowboys out of the market.

I saw a new narrow boat last year that was condemned, after it had been fully fitted out, even the bottom plates were not fully welded, just a weld run over the top of two closed butted plates, with no edge prep. I feel sorry for the people that get ripped off like this.

Peter, I can see the picture - it is labelled 45 ft Luxury Canal Narrow Boat Designed as Dutch Barge New Build 2015 House Boat. Unfortunately there are several words and phrases there that leave the advertiser liable to claims of misrepresentation, not least "luxury" and "Dutch Barge". I'm not sure that 'designed' stands up to scrutiny either. I assume the poster EAST EUROPEAN LADY has something to do with it, but I'm afraid it suffers rather more than just not speaking very good English.

Tam

Thank you very much Tam, after your discription I don't think that I've missed much by not having been able to see this unidentified floating object.

Peter.

Thank you very much Tam, after your discription I don't think that I've missed much by not having been able to see this unidentified floating object.

Peter.

To flesh it out a bit more, it is a rather nondescript narrow boat with a couple of mismatched windows - one squarish and one shaped like a letter D on its face. It is unfinished and the doors are held closed by a couple of bricks as someone mentioned. I've probably seen worse. But the most bizarre bit is the bow. It's like someone has taken a fairly standard fore end shape and grafted a pointed extension on which appears slightly concave and not faired into the curve of the rest of the boat in any way. This has a stem raked forward at about 30 degrees and taken above deck level by perhaps 18-24". There are then bulwarks with large oval hawse holes in it. It adds perhaps 2' to the length, but has no function I can imagine. If it is said to be designed then it was designed to take lock gates off when travelling uphill.

I would say to EASTERNEUROPEANLADY that her friend should look more carefully at existing canal boats - the other one they have for sale look perfectly reasonable. Obviously the price is absurd (and they might look at that too), but if someone did buy it I think this fore end is certainly a feature that requires modification.

Tam

• Greenie 1

Just checked, still for sale. Perhaps it is a genuine sale... as for the bow, great for cutting through ice? From Ebay:

The following revisions have been made:

Date Time Revised Information 21-May-15 08:33:20 BST

Description

21-May-15 20:36:47 BST

Description