Strange Dutch Barge

Titus

Featured Posts

No-one has mentioned the truly original prospect that the owner of this boat will be able to sell the energy produced by the solar panels. I wonder how this will work?

I seen that, is there solar panels on the charge Points along the river, or electricity from the virtual panels onboard?

Edited by Dalslandia

Instead of booking a flight to England to see a boat there, you can reduce your expenses quite a lot by visiting a local optician.

Peter.

Opticians... I went to Specsavers the other day, and guess who I bumped into?

Everyone!

• Greenie 1

I did not say EEL (slippery lass?) was Polish, merely stated that her phone number given put into Google comes up with stuff in Polish which in itself suggests a Polish connection. Especially as she refers to herself as East Europe Lady and Poland for starters is in East Europe (or Russia, really).

By Jeeves the Fuzz are slow to contact me. Perhaps her lawyers will let me know where the boat is...?

Is it still for sale on Ebay?

(Athy - Sair Inn ??? It's NOT Wetherspoons! Have u been there?)

Is she really going to sue me because I bid 50p for it?

It's there as a Buy It Now for £100,000 :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45ft-Luxury-Electric-Solar-Canal-Narrow-Boat-Designed-as-Dutch-Barge-Build-2015/121706725509?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D4dc392bd5c5442ada97ca64a57efe899%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D121657335886

Form an orderly queue!

EEL probably would be Polish, as the ad states:

The boat was build in UK by Polish Boat Builders, who have great experience build ocean-going boats in Gdansk, Poland.

Now you do not need go to Poland to buy a narrow boat.

Poland will come to you.

Has anyone ever been to Poland to buy a narrow boat? Does anyone there make them? I'd have thought they only build wider boats, aren't most canals on the continent wide?

It wouldn't surprise me if Gdansk, a place well known for shipbuilding (think Lech Walensa) has a few shipbuilders who fancy applying their skills elsewhere, but they'll need to adapt their design; there are probably reasons why most of our narrowboats don't have a bow like that.

the telephone number mentioned in the listing brings up a polish language advert which when translated reads......

Google Translate

THE LORD TO HELP THE FAMILY BUSINESS Accept .
It offers accommodation and meals .
ENGLISH NOT REQUIRED .
It is located in the center of Birmingham .
Greedy and greedy for money , PLEASE DO NOT CALL .
TEL 074 ** *** ***
CV please send to :
a******@gmx.com

Bing Translate

TO HELP IN THE FAMILY BUSINESS TO THIS DIRECTORY.
OFFERS ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS.
ENGLISH IS NOT REQUIRED.
WE ARE LOCATED IN THE CENTRE OF BIRMINGHAM.
GREEDY AND THEY GOT GREEDY FOR MONEY PLEASE DO NOT CALL.
TEL 074 ** *** ***
CV PLEASE SEND TO:

a*******@gmx.com
I wonder if this advert is the source of the Polish Boat Builders

Has anyone ever been to Poland to buy a narrow boat? Does anyone there make them? I'd have thought they only build wider boats, aren't most canals on the continent wide?

I have heard anecdotally of some people have had narrow boats built in Poland and shipped to the UK as labour and materials are cheaper and the workmanship is just as good. They may not know a lot about the heritage and traditions of different hull shapes or the UK waterways but if you send them the plans they can build it just as well.

I have heard anecdotally of some people have had narrow boats built in Poland and shipped to the UK as labour and materials are cheaper and the workmanship is just as good. They may not know a lot about the heritage and traditions of different hull shapes or the UK waterways but if you send them the plans they can build it just as well.

This sounds like a half-decent idea, so long as the plans are in metric and you make clear that the exact beam is important. Getting the boat home could be fun; I think there are canals all the way across from Poland to Calais, which would be an interesting trip, then you just need a lorry to haul from there to the Thames.

I am sure their is a lot of skill in Poland, but it just seems too much of a risk to take.

I would rather see a Boat being built during the stages and not trust online Email photo's which can be gotten off the internet.

No offence to any country that makes boats out of the uk.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gdansk, a place well known for shipbuilding (think Lech Walensa) has a few shipbuilders who fancy applying their skills elsewhere, but they'll need to adapt their design;

It shouldn't surprise you. At least one established builder, Aqualine, had their boats built in Gdansk for years, and I think that other companies have done so too.

Has anyone looked at the eBay feed back?

No feedback as a seller but 6 good feedback as a buyer

They've bought a narrowboat and a narrowboat engine, and tested it in the past

Positive feedback rating Great Buyer. A+++++++++++++++ enjoy many years of happiness on your narrow boat. russell_ba1216 ( 52Blue star icon for Feedback score between 50 to 99) During past year

-- --

Positive feedback rating Excellent person to deal with, rapid payment, great communication, RATE AAA+++ volvo940 ( 1690Red star icon for Feedback score between 1,000 to 4,999) More than a year ago

-- --

Positive feedback rating Honest buyer, pleasant to deal with. Hope you enjoy the boat! robinhillier ( 103Teal star icon for Feedback score between 100 to 499) More than a year ago

-- -- Private

Positive feedback rating THANKS for TESTING,BUYING my ENGINE &PAYMENT. I'm Glad you Like it,Happy Boating aircraftdiecast ( 4579Red star icon for Feedback score between 1,000 to 4,999) More than a year ago

-- -- Private

Positive feedback rating Fast payment and good communication, excellent ebayer. Thank you for your custom nandjinkjet ( 121933Red shooting star icon for Feedback score between 100,000 to 499,999) More than a year ago

-- --

Page 1of 1

Edited by bigcol

Could be very amusing if someone were to register a new ebay username and just click on buy it now.

THEN EEL might respond to the questions about where it is, etc!

Not that I'm suggesting anyone does anything that could be construed as fraudulent. Oh no, definitely not...

I think one or more old FMC Joshers have been shipped to Poland for refurbishment then shipped back to the UK.

By someone in Alvecote called bargeeboy if my memory is working correctly.

Edit

Edited by magnetman

Almost certain we passed the boat in the OP on the GU coming out of Birmingham a couple of weeks ago. It was moored at what looked like some sort of small unit.

Almost certain we passed the boat in the OP on the GU coming out of Birmingham a couple of weeks ago. It was moored at what looked like some sort of small unit.

Was it a secure unit? Housing the designer of the vessel by any chance :lol:

Was it a secure unit? Housing the designer of the vessel by any chance laugh.png

Dunno mate :)

I do remember some people waving to me, who appeared to be friendly. In fact they were among the few people or boats we saw along that ghost canal! Never thoguht I'd find a canal that was too quiet!

Wish I'd taken a pic now, but I hadn't taken much notice of this thread. Pretty certain it was the same boat with the unusual bow.

There was another "interesting" boat advertised a while ago that was spotted being built/sold on the GU in the Tyseley area.

I suspect this might be the same.

Dunno mate smile.png

I do remember some people waving to me, who appeared to be friendly. In fact they were among the few people or boats we saw along that ghost canal! Never thoguht I'd find a canal that was too quiet!

If they was waving, they might wanted to be picked up, or they was waving you away, to not steal or copy the design, that seems so secret that they won't put it in the selling ad.

Maybe they wanted a tow because it was cloudy

that might suit them if they are obfuscation

the absence of motor, batteries and solar panels might require a tow

Edited by Dalslandia

EEL 5 posts so far. I do wonder why she is apparently still hanging around this forum. And why 17,000 has come off the price. Why has no-one bought this luxury skip yet?

Nothing from her lawyers yet, but them penguins may have nicked the summons. As I am in Antarctica today.

Wish I'd taken a pic now, but I hadn't taken much notice of this thread. Pretty certain it was the same boat with the unusual bow.

Go back and take several photos, then! Edited by Emerald Fox

EEL 5 posts so far. I do wonder why she is apparently still hanging around this forum. And why 17,000 has come off the price. Why has no-one bought this luxury skip yet?

Nothing from her lawyers yet, but them penguins may have nicked thr summons. As I am in Antarctica today.

Go back and take several photos, then!

Too far away now :)