Barney Boats

Woodontop

Featured Posts

• 2 months later...

Hello Barney boaters,

A practical question. In the ongoing work on Barney boat #26 I want/need to repaint the engine hole. I am quite small, but am struggling to reach bits of the floor that need scraping before de-greasing/ painting. I am not removing the engine, so any suggestions?! 

Also, pls humour me, a before and after pic of #26. Formerly Gwithian now Pea Green. 

Screenshot_2017-08-31-21-39-59.png

IMG_20170924_123953.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering if anyone knows of what happened to "Angel of Islington", a 70' Barney boat which was originally operated as a community boat by the Islington Narrowboat Association.   She was built I think in 1976 and was eventually replaced by a new boat in 2000, when she was sold into private  ownership.  My interest is sentimental, based on having been the full time skipper from 1978 to 1980.

AOI.jpg.b8324b3983dfdfe7023778e4bd498072.jpg

51 minutes ago, Carl Ryan said:

Does anyone know what happened to the lady before you. Cannot remember her name.

Carl

Kate Janes I think her name was.   I have no idea what happened to her after.   She actually took over from me, I got the dates wrong in my previous post, from an old CV I see that I did the 1976 and 1977 seasons. Meaning Angel may have been built as early as 1974, as I took over from the first skipper who also did 2 years.

Edited by malp
Amend incorrect information

5 hours ago, Pluto said:

Fed at Astley circa 1972. Andy Millward later bought her for the Gardner engine for Monarch, and she was then sold engineless.

This was a 1943 Gardner 2L2 (engine serial number available), and when removed from MONARCH it was fitted into another F.M.C. Ltd. motor - ALDER :captain:

17 hours ago, Paul H said:

According to a quick google, her name was Kate Jayne.

Paul

Correct - Kate Jayne :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

2 hours ago, rupertbear said:

If my semi-functional memory is correct, the late Joe Jones's boat 'Will Crooks' was a Barney Boat. It had a single cylinder Sabb. Does anyone know what happened to it after his death? I hope that it is still in use and that the current owners know of Joe.

Joe's widow often posts on Face Book

• 1 year later...
On 29/01/2018 at 12:04, rupertbear said:

Thanks, Brian. I don't do Facebook, maybe someone might ask her about Will Crooks?

Last I heard the boat was moved onto the Bridgewater, I don't think Jackie kept up with what happened after.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 07/03/2019 at 03:10, Angry Sheep said:

Barney boat Lil' Fin for sale at Great Haywood:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional/597862

barney.jpg.6f53a36fa6461647e07cfb3c81d1f5fa.jpg

My family were the first owners of this Barney Boat when it was called Bandit. Later named Goshawk and Rainbow, before Lil'Fin. Would love to track down boat or current owners