Which Car Hire Company?

Featured Posts

We are planning an extended cruise this summer away from our home mooring, and will need to get back to our car whilst the boat is moored in a marina many miles away. Having reserarched the rail timetables, both the journey times and costs are horrendous, so hiring a car seems a more convenient (and hopefully cheaper) alternative.

Some while ago a member (possibly NickNorman or Cotswoldsman) referred to a Car Hire Company which they sometimes used, which was competively priced and would deliver and collect the car to and from their mooring.

I have tried to search the relevant topic, but the search brings up every post containg either "car" or "hire" which number in their thousands!! Can anyone who remembers the thread, or knows the name of the car hire company please let me know.

We are planning an extended cruise this summer away from our home mooring, and will need to get back to our car whilst the boat is moored in a marina many miles away. Having reserarched the rail timetables, both the journey times and costs are horrendous, so hiring a car seems a more convenient (and hopefully cheaper) alternative.

Some while ago a member (possibly NickNorman or Cotswoldsman) referred to a Car Hire Company which they sometimes used, which was competively priced and would deliver and collect the car to and from their mooring.

I have tried to search the relevant topic, but the search brings up every post containg either "car" or "hire" which number in their thousands!! Can anyone who remembers the thread, or knows the name of the car hire company please let me know.

Yes it was a Enterprise. Their advert tag-line is "we pick you up" ie they will bring the car to your house or, presumably, your boat if it is in an accessible location. I mostly use them from Birmingham airport where they seem very cheap and yet the most courteous and efficient. They also have a sensible policy regarding minor scratches and dents etc. I have only used the "we pick you up" service once, when hiring a van in Aberdeen on a Saturday morning, but it was not successful since they phoned to say they had 2 staff off sick and could I get in to the depot myself? Hopefully I was just unlucky. They were apologetic and gave me an upgrade to a bigger van.

I've a feeling that the non-airport depots are closed on Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

I've a feeling that the non-airport depots are closed on Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

The latter point is an important one. We have just priced them for a summer hire for a seven seater and although they are cheaper the fact we can't return the car to closest depot in Middlesbrough until Monday does add to the cost.

If you are only doing a one way hire, ie from your boat to your car then check the local Private Hire companies as well. It can work out just as cheap. Also make sure you take the prof of identity they require with you.

Another vote for Enterprise from here as well. It is worth checking their prices closer to the day that you want to hire the car (but not too close!) as the prices tend to vary depending upon when you book. Also there is quite a difference between depots even when they are quite close together (as I found in Birmingham). The pick up procedure I found rather curious when I recently hired from Chester since the depot in Chester itself wouldn't pick up from Tattenhall Marina however the Ellesmere Port one (a fair bit further away) would. They told me that it was easier to get from Ellesmere Port to Tattenhall than it was from Chesterunsure.png

Thanks for the information. I have been onto their website, and it is as clear as mud. No where do they mention cars being delivered or collected, but they add a substantial charge called "drop charge", without any explanation as to what it is for. The basic fee is quite reasonabe, but after all the additional costs, plus fuel, it works out quite expensive. If they also add a fee for delivery and collection, rail/bus will be significantly cheaper, and that is for a tiny handbag car!!

I think I may pop into their Bath depot to get more information, but at the moment it is not looking like an economic choice.

Edited by David Schweizer

Theve never charged us for collecting or dropping off...either vans or cars....and you can take out your own insurance for the CDW if you hire a lot from third party companies. Are you not getting it confused with a one way hire?

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks for the information. I have been onto their website, and it is as clear as mud. No where do they mention cars being delivered or collected, but they add a substantial charge called "drop charge", without any explanation as to what it is for. The basic fee is quite reasonabe, but after all the additional costs, plus fuel, it works out quite expensive. If they also add a fee for delivery and collection, rail/bus will be significantly cheaper, and that is for a tiny handbag car!!

I think I may pop into their Bath depot to get more information, but at the moment it is not looking like an economic choice.

AS I said, don't discount Private Hire if you are talking about less than 70 miles one way

Theve never charged us for collecting or dropping off...either vans or cars....and you can take out your own insurance for the CDW if you hire a lot from third party companies. Are you not getting it confused with a one way hire?

Cheers

Gareth

That is one thing I did find on their website CDW is included in the hire charge.

We actually want one way hire., so no confusion.

AS I said, don't discount Private Hire if you are talking about less than 70 miles one way

Our journey is close to 100 miles, and based on similar journeys by private hire (to Heathrow) the cost will be even more.

Ahhh ok....that's going to be expensive from any car hire company I'm afraid. A train may well be cheaper in that case.

Cheers

Gareth

Yes I am beginning to realise that, but other people in the past said it was quite cheap.

Another vote for Enterprise from here as well. It is worth checking their prices closer to the day that you want to hire the car (but not too close!) as the prices tend to vary depending upon when you book. Also there is quite a difference between depots even when they are quite close together (as I found in Birmingham). The pick up procedure I found rather curious when I recently hired from Chester since the depot in Chester itself wouldn't pick up from Tattenhall Marina however the Ellesmere Port one (a fair bit further away) would. They told me that it was easier to get from Ellesmere Port to Tattenhall than it was from Chesterunsure.png

When I used Enterprise from Tattenhall Marina they picked me up from their Wrexham depot. On the second occasion when I took a car back I dropped it off in Chester and then they drove me back to Tattenhall without any complaints.

Edited by Rob-M

Yes it is but we do not do one way hire.

i did it once for a van and the extra charge was £100 but that was five years ago.

Edit: answer to post #16

Edited by bottle

Yes I am beginning to realise that, but other people in the past said it was quite cheap.

The hires I've done from Enterprise have been one way and does have an extra charges for being one way but it was less than multiple train tickets. I've done Tettenhall to Bristol, then a few weeks later Bristol to Chester. Each time I've used the pick up\drop off service as well. Will be using them again in a few weeks.

Edit to correct details.

Edited by Rob-M

When I used Enterprise from Tattenhall Marina they picked me up from their Wrexham depot. On the second occasion when I took a car back I dropped it off in Chester and then they drove me back to Tattenhall without any complaints.

I must have just been unlucky then. When I booked the car I got the confirmatory phone call from the depot and when I asked about being picked up he told me that for that I'd have to book the car from Ellesmere Port. I checked that again when I picked the car up and the guy in the office said the same, although he did then give me the option of returning the car to Ellesmere Port but I didn't want to be searching around for the depot when returning the car so opted to take it back to Chester. It was only £2.70 from Tattenhall on the bus and I got the opportunity to do a bit of shopping in Chester.

That is one thing I did find on their website CDW is included in the hire charge.

Our journey is close to 100 miles, and based on similar journeys by private hire (to Heathrow) the cost will be even more.

CDW might be included but you will be resonsible for the £600 excess which is why folk are saying take out separate insurance.

Enterprise charge £11.99 per day from memory but you still have excess of £100.

Go in to depot and get the details first before you get a shock. Ins to cover excess is available on line for £2 a day or cheaper for yearly policy.

CDW might be included but you will be resonsible for the £600 excess which is why folk are saying take out separate insurance.

Enterprise charge £11.99 per day from memory but you still have excess of £100.

Go in to depot and get the details first before you get a shock. Ins to cover excess is available on line for £2 a day or cheaper for yearly policy.

I think you'll find that Enterprise's excess is now £1000, and yes I would advise taking out the separate insurance!

one way hire is dearer because they need to get car back to depot.If you have access to car at other end of journey work out whether it is cost/time effective to go back to hire depot to return car. Anything that includes Sat. or Sun. is cheaper because they do not want unused cars sat in depot over a weekend

Why did I immediately think of something other than collision damage waiver? unsure.png