Sausage Curry???????

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

I do like a good curry and do, in fact, like making them.

I have suddenly got a hankering for a curry tonight.

The problem is, I haven’t got any meat thawed to make one.

I do however have some sausages that need to be used before

they reach their exploding date. So I’ll give it a go.

Has anyone tried sausage curry ???

Rob….

I think that some fish & chip shops offer curry sauce with which to anoint their chips, sausages etc., so it has been done. The more I think about it, the more sausage curry begins to sound like the ultimate "comfort food". Yep, give it a try, and if you don't manage to eat it all yourself, you know where I live.

On a more serious note, perhaps remove the sausage meat from the skins so that you have something akin to seasoned pork mince to put in your curry. There are authentic mince curries, though not pork - keema, I think they're called.

Gosh, I'm feeling hungry now.

I do like a good curry and do, in fact, like making them.

I have suddenly got a hankering for a curry tonight.

The problem is, I haven’t got any meat thawed to make one.

I do however have some sausages that need to be used before

they reach their exploding date. So I’ll give it a go.

Has anyone tried sausage curry ???

Rob….

Hmm, never tried sausage curry, but I must confess to cutting a pack into 1" chunks, threading them on to a skewer with bits of onion and pepper separating them then grilling them.

I must also confess that, served on a bed of lettuce with some chilli sauce and a bit of garlic mayo they were delicious! A really good impro shish kebab!

Yes, I have, it will be fine. The sausages will be there more for texture than for taste and so long as they aren't at the point where they are crawling out of the fridge on their own, then an hour or two simmering away in a curry will render them perfectly safe to eat. Something I keep on the boat is Zurek, a Polish sour soup which is about £1 for a 1-litre carton from the Polski Sklep, out-of-date sausages and other meats/ vegetables work really well in that.

2436-zurek.png

I regularly make sausage curry...for some strange reason it always seems to taste better when I use the cheapest value sausages so it makes a very cheap meal. I simply snip the sausages into pieces with scissors and bung them in. A handful of fresh coriander gives it a lovely taste, and a dash of cream finishes it off perfectly.

Janet

Good result then Rob. Did you pre cook them?

Janet, the cheapos take flavour quickly. Not a bad thing if you need a quick fix! Posh ones need time.

I often have a curry base, pre cooked in the freezer.

While/whilest waiting for that to thaw a bit, I cut up the sausages (skins on) and stir fried them

before putting them in the sauce to finish off.

When ready, a small pinch of garam masala on top and Robert's your mother's brother.

Rob....

I seem to remember that at one time Heinz made tins of curried beans and sausage. I might have dreamed it though.

They certainly made beans & sausages, and curried beans. Not sure about that combination, though.

My Mum used to feed me beans & saus. for tea quite often, until I acquired sophisticated cosmopolitan tastes and started demanding the new, exciting curried beans instead. Within months I had become a true international gourmet and was devouring Vesta curries.

Strangely, back in them there days (1960s) no one ever made jokes about the culinder-like flatulence which beans are said to induce.

They certainly made beans & sausages, and curried beans. Not sure about that combination, though.

My Mum used to feed me beans & saus. for tea quite often, until I acquired sophisticated cosmopolitan tastes and started demanding the new, exciting curried beans instead. Within months I had become a true international gourmet and was devouring Vesta curries.

Strangely, back in them there days (1960s) no one ever made jokes about the culinder-like flatulence which beans are said to induce.

AAhhaa! Vesta curries. My first taste of something curryish.

Still don't know which part of the chicken they used to get the square bits from though!

Rob....

ETA....Just remembered. From Vestas I moved on to putting a large spoonfull of curry powder

in any leftover stew the next day.

Edited by ROBDEN

ETA....Just remembered. From Vestas I moved on to putting a large spoonfull of curry powder

in any leftover stew the next day.

I probably followed a similarly slippery slope. Then I went to university in Brum and there was a real Indian restaurant just outside the main gates, the Shamon. A small group of us used to go once a week and spent a year working our way through most of the menu discovering what we liked and what we didn't (egg curry, anyone?) In retrospect it probably wasn't a particularly good restaurant, but by the end of that year I was a certified curry-junky!

I normally brown em off in the frying pan first then stick them in the curry in the oven ,good sausage curry takes some beating imo

I was searching for comments on Dan Brown (Airm, is that a North Wales accent he has? Airm...) and it led me here. I wonder if he would taste good in a curry?

remove skins add cumin coriander chilli powder garlic , reshape into sausage, grill then add to curry

kofta kebab curry

can also add fenugreek leaves

Masterchef! That does sound toothsome.

remove skins

Why not just buy sausage meat?

(I use this make the 'pigs in blankets' at Christmas - rolled sausagemeat in pancetta style bacon, delish, and a thousand times better than the cheapy sausages!)

In my very heavily used copy of the excellent "Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery" based on her BBC series in 1982, she gives a recipe for "Pork chipolatas cooked in an Indian style" which involves courgettes, onions, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste etc. I'd better not type the recipe here because (1) that might be a breach of copyright and (2) it'd take a while.

She isn't saying it's authentic, but clearly she thought it was sufficiently close to the traditions of Indian cookery to merit inclusion.