Broken foot and a two week break on our boat!! Worse timing?

kienik

Featured Posts

Afternoon all.

Last Thursday whilst in work I slipped on the steps in the kitchen and chipped a bone in my right foot, the resulting injury has put me in a cast and crutches for five to six weeks.

Brilliant timing as we are due to move house/pubs in two weeks as well as taking our boat up the Monty in June, looks like the latter may not be happening now.

I'm 34 and reasonably fit, I've got the hang of the crutches now and can get on and of the boat (with some caution), its a bit difficult moving around the inside with crutches given the width etc, our boat is a trad so I would have to get a stool to sit inside the rear doors and the OH would have to do all the hopping on and off etc.

Has anyone else had the experience of boating in similar circumstances? If so feel free to share them here.

Cheers

Nik

Looks as if someone else will be doing all the locks for you, then. Always look on the bright side of life.

Had something similar three or so years ago - not broken, but foot very swollen and could not put weight on it. Boat was due to go for blacking, which entailed going up about seven locks to the boatyard. OwenK of this parish sportingly volunteered to do all the lock work whilst I stayed immobile and in state at the tiller. Mrs. Athy + car waiting at the top end, so mission accomplished almost painlessly.

Afternoon all.

Last Thursday whilst in work I slipped on the steps in the kitchen and chipped a bone in my right foot, the resulting injury has put me in a cast and crutches for five to six weeks.

Brilliant timing as we are due to move house/pubs in two weeks as well as taking our boat up the Monty in June, looks like the latter may not be happening now.

I'm 34 and reasonably fit, I've got the hang of the crutches now and can get on and of the boat (with some caution), its a bit difficult moving around the inside with crutches given the width etc, our boat is a trad so I would have to get a stool to sit inside the rear doors and the OH would have to do all the hopping on and off etc.

Has anyone else had the experience of boating in similar circumstances? If so feel free to share them here.

Cheers

Nik

I've got that particular T-shirt!

My eldest was 9 weeks old, Jacqui was on maternity leave and we had booked a 3-week hire boat trip from Bidford Boats. On the Wednesday of the first week an ill-judged leap from the side of the 3rd lock down the Wolverhampton 21 onto the cruiser stern deck left me with one broken ankle and the other badly bruised. I steered down the rest of the flight while Jacqui did all the work, we moored at Autherly junction and got a taxi to A&E where my ankle was plastered. Back to see the consultant the next day and then we carried on our holiday.

In the next 2 1/2 weeks we got to Llangollen, Middlewich, Leek, Froghall, Fradley, Coventry, Braunston, Lapworth and back to Bidford on Avon with a detour via Soke on Trent hospital to get the plaster refurbished, although we did have some help from family for part of the trip.

As my mother said as we totted up the miles and locks at the end of one particularly long day "Not bad for a nursing mother, a babe in arms, an old age pensioner and a man with a broken leg!"

just checking i can post- tecnical issues!

ok seems i can still post!!

Yes similar to me, 4 weeks before our 1st hire holiday i ended up on crutches with leg in a splint from thigh to ankle (operation on dodgy locking knee occured at a later date) i had never driven a boat before and crashed into the bank on 1st afternoon so refused to drive for rest of hoilday! Paul had to do all the locks and the driving! Being on crutches on the boat was fine crutches don't make you much wider so space was fine! The steps on that particular boat weren't too ladder like so i could manage and the only pain i suffered was the blisters on my hands!

I think, if possible you should go, a holiday will make a bad situation seem less of a problem and the Monty is gorgeous!!