Who's got the oldest LW on this forum?

swift1894

Featured Posts

Then you're easily "beating" mine, outshopped in 1955 and installed in a narrow-gauge railway engine the following year.

By the same token, I wonder if anyone here has one of the much later second series. LWs were in production from 1931 to 1973, then Gardner reinstated the 2LW in 1993 (mainly aimed at the boat market, I think). At £16,000 each they did not fly out of the Patricroft workshops; I heard that 33 of this second series were made but I have no way of knowing if that figure is accurate. The very last was built about 1999 - I seem to recall seeing it in a boat moored in Banbury some years ago, and noting the plaque stating that it was the last of the line.

The last 2LW no 251907 built 1998 is in Nb Burma

The oldest owned by a forum member would have been owned by Andy Watson with Oslo with its 1934 3LW before he sold it.

Steve

The oldest owned by a forum member would have been owned by Andy Watson with Oslo with its 1934 3LW before he sold it.

Steve

Steve

That must be a real claim to fame......I own the last Gardner ever built!

Yes, although I am not sure that it is - it's the last LW, and the company was going fairly swiftly down the pan by that time, but I think that some more large lorry and/ or maritime engines may have been produced after that.

Mr. Pin, where does your info come from - personal knowledge or an internet source?

It's possible that I own the oldest Gardner of any forum member, an 0VC from 1931, but it's no longer in my boat and not an LW.

I think my 4LW started life in the late 1930s, but it depends partly which number you believe & I've never checked properly.

Tim

?

Mr. Pin, where does your info come from - personal knowledge or an internet source

hi Mr Pin is a Gardner devotee with a nice 3 LW in his boat - I suspect his info come from a bit of both.

He is a stalwart member of the Gardner Forum - well worth joining (not expensive), good meeting of Gardners of all types at Bugsworth Basin on the 6th/7th jJne, well worth attending........... The Forum produce a good magazine......

Edited by LEO

We have a marine 3L2 in our workshop, one of the very earliest dating from 1930. Its in our "get round to finishing this one day" pile in the workshop buried behind the 3LWs and Samofas.

We also have an ex South African 2LW here. Nothing unusual about it other than, from the build date, it was supplied to them when South Africa was under UN sanctions. Naughty naughty!

We have a marine 3L2 in our workshop, one of the very earliest dating from 1930. Its in our "get round to finishing this one day" pile in the workshop buried behind the 3LWs and Samofas.

We also have an ex South African 2LW here. Nothing unusual about it other than, from the build date, it was supplied to them when South Africa was under UN sanctions. Naughty naughty!

As Gardner once had offices and agents throughout the world I guess they could have found a route into S'africa which did not involve shipping the engine directly from the UK. What date would that be? 1970s?

Edit: just had a look at your web site; that would be the 1968 one, then? Does not look a bad price in case anyone of good taste is looking for a decent engine for their boat.

Edited by Athy

Yep, its the 1968 engine. Ex-goldmine narrow gauge locomotive and in good order. Needs a rebuild of course but a good engine to start with. Funny thing is we sell 3LWs as fast as we can get them but 2LWs seem out of favour at the moment. Been in our warehouse for quite a while now. Strange as the source of supply has all but dried up so they are becoming harder to source.

Yep, its the 1968 engine. Ex-goldmine narrow gauge locomotive and in good order. Needs a rebuild of course but a good engine to start with. Funny thing is we sell 3LWs as fast as we can get them but 2LWs seem out of favour at the moment. Been in our warehouse for quite a while now. Strange as the source of supply has all but dried up so they are becoming harder to source.

From the same source as our (Walsh's) 2LW, then. Walsh's told me that they have now run out of the base engines, so somebody would be wise to snap yours up while it's still available.

Well, mine is 105962 and, as mentioned above, was outshopped in 1955. So yours is somewhat later. Sorry this is vague but it does narrow it down a bit. A guesstimate of 1960-ish would not be too far out.

I am trying to remember who dated my engine for me. Somebody like the Industrial Engine Society. I suggest you phone Walsh's Engineering who may be able to help - I think it was they who put me on to the society originally.

Yes, although I am not sure that it is - it's the last LW, and the company was going fairly swiftly down the pan by that time, but I think that some more large lorry and/ or maritime engines may have been produced after that.

Mr. Pin, where does your info come from - personal knowledge or an internet source?

Hi

My information comes from the Gardner Engine Forum membership list, the info on Burma was I presume supplied by its owner so should be correct.

I remember from a conversation at a rally that the last engine to leave the Patricroft site was sold by Gardner Parts which was the company that emerged to supply parts after manufacturing ceased,

So it probably wasn't the last engine to be manufactured but would have been the last 2LW .

It was I believe issued with a certificate confirming its origin, so is probably the one in Burma

The oldest engine with a known manufacture date in the G.E.F records is a 3HF from 1924

There is also a 1F gas engine and a couple of older early gas engines listed but no manufacturing dates.

The rally at Bugsworth at last count has 45 entries including the impressive 13HF,

Steve

Thanks for the information, Steve. I wasn't really aware of the GEF (I have owned my Gardner for only nine years so I'm a bit of a tyro) but I shall have a look at it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an online source for dating my 2LW or can it be deciphered direct from the engine number? 147612

Hi

Your engine appears in the G.E.F membership list presumably by its previous owner as its a lapsed member. it has a manufacture date of 1964 and was rebuilt by Walsh's in 2005.

Steve

Well the oldest LW we have in stock at the moment is a 5LW dating from 1935. But the oldest Gardner we have is 1930 (3L2). Also it doesn't technically fit in this thread as its not actually a Gardner but the Kromhout built variant which interestingly dates from 1935 and from the data I have that means Kromhout built this 3LW before Gardner started producing 3LW's...