Could be a stoppage on Llangollen shortly...

casper ghost

Featured Posts

A culvert has been leaking by our mooring and it got rather leaky the other week, filling the field next to us. C&RT came in mass and looked, they returned and a chap waded in with a waterproof onesy and puddled some clay under his feet ( it's very shallow there). The leak slowed but didn't stop. C&RT have returned today saying that they may drain the section of canal, probably using stop planks in the bridge and a dam below the section. They didn't know when or even whether they will do it, they'll have to move the moored boats that are there..

Hope it's sorted before half term, the hire companies won't be too pleased..

Casp'

A culvert has been leaking by our mooring and it got rather leaky the other week, filling the field next to us. C&RT came in mass and looked, they returned and a chap waded in with a waterproof onesy and puddled some clay under his feet ( it's very shallow there). The leak slowed but didn't stop. C&RT have returned today saying that they may drain the section of canal, probably using stop planks in the bridge and a dam below the section. They didn't know when or even whether they will do it, they'll have to move the moored boats that are there..

Hope it's sorted before half term, the hire companies won't be too pleased..

Casp'

It would if you help if you gave the location.

Anything more on this? And where Casp is?

I'm heading up the Llangollen ATM.

Although I don't know anything about the possible stoppage sorry, the location is above Grindley Brook just past the Whitchurch arm between the 2 closely spaced lift bridges

Culvert 38, Llangollen Canal, Next to Lift bridge 34 Hassells No2

Just passed the Whitchurch Arm, two lift bridges up!

Edited by nipper

Culvert No. 38? There is a "stoppage" notice which is an inspection ie towpath and canal remain open:

Notice Alert

Llangollen CanalStarts At: Culvert 38Ends At: Culvert 38

Monday 18 May 2015 08:30 until Wednesday 20 May 2015 17:00

Type: Advice Reason: Inspection

Original message: Investigation works are being carried out andpedestrians and canal users advised to pass through site with caution.  Staff will be on site during the works toprovide assistance if required.
Duration is daytime hours, Monday - Wednesday

You can view this notice and its map online here:
http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/10513099/canalrivertrust.org.uk?p=eyJzIjoiRmJfWlhEMlRucVRXRHE5Ykg5aWlFU3l2Wjk0IiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjoxMDUxMzA5OSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL2NhbmFscml2ZXJ0cnVzdC5vcmcudWtcXFwvbm90aWNlXFxcLzMzODFcXFwvY3VsdmVydC0zOC1sbGFuZ29sbGVuLWNhbmFsLW5leHQtdG8tbGlmdC1icmlkZ2UtMzQtaGFzc2VsbHMtbm8yXCIsXCJpZFwiOlwiNGNjNjg5OWY3NmFjNDEyNmJiNDIwMDRhZWY1ZWY2ZTBcIixcInVybF9pZHNcIjpbXCI5NzlkOWY4NzYyMTIyMDlkNzFlYWY2NmNkYzg0MjY4Zjc0ZGE2OGQyXCJdfSJ9

You can find all notices at the url below:
http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/10513099/canalrivertrust.org.uk?p=eyJzIjoibC1KdS1ORGdHSmR5N0gyeVN3MWx3XzI4UG53IiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjoxMDUxMzA5OSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL2NhbmFscml2ZXJ0cnVzdC5vcmcudWtcXFwvbm90aWNlc1wiLFwiaWRcIjpcIjRjYzY4OTlmNzZhYzQxMjZiYjQyMDA0YWVmNWVmNmUwXCIsXCJ1cmxfaWRzXCI6W1wiNWU5OTViMjYyYWQzMzMwYjg2OTdlZGE5MmNmODE1NGUzMDNiMjMwMFwiXX0ifQ.

Had call from C&RT today, they are starting the work Monday. It is indeed a bit above Grindley Brook. They said they won't close the canal, somehow they are going to drain half the canal, using some sort of dam? Boats can still squeeze by but i've got to move my boat to allow that.

Casp'

Could this involve a load of flooded fields we passed yesterday on the way to Ellesmere?

Where were the flooded fields? around the Moss the fields flood all the time.

Casper ghost, as best as I can remember, between Hampton bank and Lyneal Warf on the left heading towards Ellesmere, the only reason I thought of this is because there was a CRT workboat stuck across the canal with people working below in the culvert, so wrong place.

They seem to have finished. They didn't drain the canal, they just tipped a load of clay stuff in and a chap walked up and down, in the canal, stomping it down. We'll see if that works this time.

Casp'

Hope so!

We have just passed the spot which seems to have had a temporary fix. We are heading for the Monty and would like to get back in a week or so!

• 2 months later...

Received a letter from C&RT saying they are going to drain the canal to repair this culvert, work being 2 Nov - 18 Dec. They say I will have to move off the moorings, no idea where they want me to go yet? But has anyone ever managed to claim any sort of refund as i'm having to leave a mooring i'm paying for?

Casp'

we went up the Llan and the water level is ok, came down past Grindley Brook on monday and it was still fine.

Yeah they've stopped the leak temporarily by putting a big sheet or tarpaulin across the bed of the canal and throwing sand on top of it. They intend to do something more permanent over the stoppage period.

Casp'

Received a letter from C&RT saying they are going to drain the canal to repair this culvert, work being 2 Nov - 18 Dec. They say I will have to move off the moorings, no idea where they want me to go yet? But has anyone ever managed to claim any sort of refund as i'm having to leave a mooring i'm paying for?

Casp'

Check your mooring documents, I suspect that you have agreed to being moved for canal maintenance

Richard

Who are you claiming off then?

Richard

Well, there's the 6 weeks of mooring permit i'm paying C&RT for the mooring while they repair the culvert, not sure I should stop the mooring fee for the period to and let the land owner claim the funds off C&RT... But there's no chance of any of that happening..

Casp'