Lock bollards by Antony Gormley

DJW

Featured Posts

I don't think it would be a nuisance to me; it's on the offside, well clear of the gates, and would make no difference whatsoever to our way of working through.

It might get in the way if you were holding the boat on a line, but I can't think of any reason to do that, even if singlehanded.

Is it not better than square bollards . Whats scrap value ?

Well, maybe - but at least the bollards are set well back.

Seems daft to me to set it into the coping stones - and presumably no deep foundation? Only wants some idiot(s) to push it hard to dump it into the lock AND damage the lockside.

M'lud Gormely said in an interview that it was about 'the light' - to which I assume he was commenting on the positioning?

Edited by OldGoat

IMG_10141_zpsned0ebog.jpg

IMG_10142_zpsfanoj1my.jpg

IMG_10141_zpsned0ebog.jpg

IMG_10142_zpsfanoj1my.jpg

Sorry for the duplicate photo's, I struggled with Photobucket.

We arrived the morining after they placed the statue. It is well anchored so no danger of it being pulled over.

I must say I like it and with it being on the off-side I think it is not a great obstacle for boaters.

Helen

We arrived the morining after they placed the statue. It is well anchored so no danger of it being pulled over.

I must say I like it and with it being on the off-side I think it is not a great obstacle for boaters.

Helen

Mr G was on the radio this afternoon talking about it. Apparently its one of a series of four (or five, possibly) 'dealing' with the subject of the relationship the British have with water. The others involve the untamed sea and this is the contrast, dealing tamed water used as a tool for industry. Apparently the canals were used for moving coal and iron about, and the lock is 6ft 3in wide, or so Mr G told us. The figure is looking down into the depths of the lock and contemplating the water. He spoke very engagingly.

Looks to me as though it could be most easily pushed over sideways :)

Helen

I have to disagree. It looks very close to the edge of the lock.

When my boat is making its last couple of feet of rise, I often use the time to move things about or straighten back end lines etc. This statue means I have to walk between it and the water's edge when repositioning a rope attached to the boat.

Not a BIG deal but a slight decrease in MY safety by an organisation which seems to be obsessed with the safety of other users.

George ex nb Alton retired

And people get paid for this??

Which raises an interesting point.

Mr G was asked if he decided what sculptures to do and where to put them, in which case how does he get permission, or if he gets commissioned to 'build' them. He laughed and said he gets commissioned and paid to make them.

Which begs the question, was it our licence money that paid for the lockside one? If not, who paid for it? The interviewer rather dopily let the question drop on the radio this afternoon.

MtB

Which raises an interesting point.

Mr G was asked if he decided what sculptures to do and where to put them, in which case how does he get permission, or if he gets commissioned to 'build' them. He laughed and said he gets commissioned and paid to make them.

Which begs the question, was it our licence money that paid for the lockside one? If not, who paid for it? The interviewer rather dopily let the question drop on the radio this afternoon.

MtB

If you read the article linked to in the first post, you'll see that the sculptures were commissioned by the Landmark Trust to mark their 50th anniversary. All five statues are by Landmark Trust properties -- in this case the lock cottage.

I can't believe how negative people are being about this. Anthony Gormley is without doubt one of our greatest living artists, and it should be welcomed that he's chosen a waterways location for one of his pieces of work. Apart from anything else, it will attract visitors who may just discover the joys of the canals while they're there.

And talk of putting a rope around it and pulling it over -- that's vandalism, which boaters should generally be against, I'd have thought. A pretty bad idea to encourage people to damage stuff, especially around locks, whatever it is.

• Greenie 4

If you read the article linked to in the first post, you'll see that the sculptures were commissioned by the Landmark Trust to mark their 50th anniversary. All five statues are by Landmark Trust properties -- in this case the lock cottage.

I can't believe how negative people are being about this. Anthony Gormley is without doubt one of our greatest living artists, and it should be welcomed that he's chosen a waterways location for one of his pieces of work. Apart from anything else, it will attract visitors who may just discover the joys of the canals while they're there.

And talk of putting a rope around it and pulling it over -- that's vandalism, which boaters should generally be against, I'd have thought. A pretty bad idea to encourage people to damage stuff, especially around locks, whatever it is.

I find myself agreeing with you except maybe "the greatest living artist" but then that is based on personal tastes. I think CRT are doing a good job on promoting the arts and are working in partnership with a nuber of arts related companies.

Given the custom of 'dressing up' some of Gormley's work, e.g. the wonderful 'Another Place' at Crosby Beach on Merseyside, can't wait for someone to dress it with cap, red kerchief, shirt and waistcoat, or a bonnet and frock...or something more inventive.

maxresdefault.jpg