Mercedes om 321!!!!

jenevers

Featured Posts

a friend of mine has a 1965ish Merc OM 321 in his boat and can't find the correct engine oil spec for it anywhere. Apparently it has a stainless steel mesh oil filter so sounds a bit like the old Gardner system. Anyone got any ideas as to whether he should be using SAE 30 API cc or similar. I KNOW it's not a Gardner but thought the knowledge might be out there with someone.

I've looked in the "Others" section but there's no mention of Mercs.

Edited by jenevers

To be honest your logic sounds good on the grade and type of oil with the design and filter style if that is original. However my knowledge of this engine is very limited so I would and could not formally recommend it.

I am presuming that this is a new engine for your friend and there is no one else to ask?

I have a manual foe the OM321 but unfortunately its in German but the translation of the oil section states an SAE 20w/20 for 0 to 30 Deg C ambient air temps and a SAE30 oil if over 30. All in an API of CC

Thanks for that info. Castrol got back to me and said

The current Castrol recommendation is Castrol Classic XL20w/50.

Being a traditionalist, I'm more likely to go with your recommendation!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a manual foe the OM321 but unfortunately its in German but the translation of the oil section states an SAE 20w/20 for 0 to 30 Deg C ambient air temps and a SAE30 oil if over 30. All in an API of CC

Hi just double checking did you mean SAE 20w/50 when you said 20w/20?

Hello again.

Could you let me know if the manual gives any indication of what the oil pressure should be, please.

At 2500 rpm he's getting 20 lbs using SAE 30.

Thanks

Edited by jenevers

That is low. It should be around 30-35 psi at 1500. About 40-45 psi at idle when cold. Its not unusual for Mercedes engines to have quite low oil pressure at idle when hot and I wouldn't be surprised for an engine in good condition to show as low as 10 psi at tick over. May I suggest that you check out the oil pressure relief valve as it may not be seating properly.

That is low. It should be around 30-35 psi at 1500. About 40-45 psi at idle when cold. Its not unusual for Mercedes engines to have quite low oil pressure at idle when hot and I wouldn't be surprised for an engine in good condition to show as low as 10 psi at tick over. May I suggest that you check out the oil pressure relief valve as it may not be seating properly.

Great stuff. I'll let him know about the valve.

He said it went up to 40 on starting but dropped to 10 when warmed up Which sounds about right from what you say is possible. I'll get him to check the rpm at 1500.