A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, W+T said:

A quick one on design, but the top loop will be of 25mm x 1.2mm  SS tube sliding down the lower legs of 22mm x 1.2mm so the frame can fold down fully over the top of the transom. 

using these fittings from Sea Screw

4697850.gif for the top of the lower/rear legs to hold the loop in position

these for the usual pivot points46861031.gif4686104.gif

Good idea. You don't want it to be in the way when folded down.

Are you going to have anyway of keeping the top section of canopy on but removing the rest?

We found our bimini a god send this summer. Provided just the right amount of shade and it created some nice air flow through the cockpit.

It's good to have as many choices as possible with the hoods.

We can have them fully on:

20180730-145855.jpg

Fully Off:

20180721-144117.jpg

Arch folded for lower bridges:

20180723-191902.jpg

Bimini up:

20180803-102927.jpg

And any combination in between as all of the side pieces come off individually or roll up so they don't have to be removed completely. Ideal for when there is less then perfect weather but we still need to go through locks and moor up etc.

My idea is like this.

Side panels fully removable white line the Zip, and can fold/rolled back along the red line and fastened back to the frame or fully removed. There will be a fully removable rear section aswell.

20181028-133147-1.jpg.319e38157ac1d93120c2901e0dfd0196.jpg

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I would drop a zip where that red line is so that piece or the rear most side piece can be taken out on their own.

I was thinking on the red line being a zip but as it will all be able to come out as he white line is a zip then not needed ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Canopy materials will be order in a few eek so in mean time i got motivated a bit to crack on on the interior. 

Very little done though. I managed to laminate the galley front so ready for the top laminate when i choose the colour, not wood as ther is enough i am thinking a deep gloss cream type Just a 650grm combo and topped of with i think a 250grm woven with a 5mm ply backing, should keep h curve and shape nicely. . I started trimming with all U channel around the inspection covers in the heads and was going to finish them off today but other stuff got in the way. still at least i go motivated hey.

The laminated panel will be removed as i fitted blocks to the back for easy removal and in places with no rear access i used small screws through the ply so it can be ripped/pried off so then i can laminate the panel. It will be difficult to do while in situ as contact adhesive is good but once on its on.

If i have the energy this week i will finish the inspection hatchs and think the best wau to cover up the the dam daft mistake i did by putting the hammer through the PVC cladding, a towel hook or something. 

20181209_163709.jpg

20181208_133121.jpg

20181208_102550.jpg

20181209_125514.jpg

20181208_141540.jpg

Edited by W+T
redo pictures

5 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

Slowly but surely mate.

Yes, struggling a bit but wont be long now. As said needs to be gone by spring due to house works need starting. 

What is it with pictures on here, I just tried to redo them in order but they keep showing all to cock. At least it sows i have done a bit.

32 minutes ago, W+T said:

think the best wau to cover up the the dam daft mistake i did by putting the hammer through the PVC cladding, a towel hook or something. 

On a nice square of sapele with rounded front edges. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, they’d work if the back is large enough 

They will nicely cover the small mishap ;) Not into self adhesive fittings and mite use screws yet. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Definitely use screws. The look nice in screw cups too. 

Ye i agree. 

Hey i am having me T now, as in food not the Mrs :) and going to do a bit on the boat. By eck whats happened to me,  after a 13hr day i am keen to go :) 

46 minutes ago, W+T said:

Ye i agree. 

Hey i am having me T now, as in food not the Mrs :) and going to do a bit on the boat. By eck whats happened to me,  after a 13hr day i am keen to go :) 

You’ve gone and got all motivated Wayne. 

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You’ve gone and got all motivated Wayne. 

I have for some reason :)  

Plans have just changed though, still working on the boat just not practically, just double checking the shopping list for the canopy so i can order it this week so its here in time for the new year as i am off for T`s birthday for the week 5th commencing. Dont worry she has already had here prezzie a few weeks back, cant keep a surprise me lol, well my plans dont go to plan. Hey i am still the BEST husband in the world :):)  

All boat related :)

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Quick, go to the pub till it passes!

To late, i am on the scrumpy :) as dont do pubs, cheap skate lol. 

54 minutes ago, W+T said:

I have for some reason :)  

Plans have just changed though, still working on the boat just not practically, just double checking the shopping list for the canopy so i can order it this week so its here in time for the new year as i am off for T`s birthday for the week 5th commencing. Dont worry she has already had here prezzie a few weeks back, cant keep a surprise me lol, well my plans dont go to plan. Hey i am still the BEST husband in the world :):)  

All boat related :)

To late, i am on the scrumpy :) as dont do pubs, cheap skate lol. 

You can see the end in sight. That is what has happened. 

Last push and it will be there and in the water come Spring.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You can see the end in sight. That is what has happened. 

Last push and it will be there and in the water come Spring.

It will :), it could be that i am in for injections in two days for the elbows so hope it will make things easier for me.  

Just banging my head know as i forgot about zip lengths and and the correct turn button sizes i need once all stitched/sewn up. Will watch through more Sailrite on Youtube to check what i need for the canopy and what what.

• Greenie 1

Got home tonight and some of the canopy has arrived. I used Seascrew  for the bits for the frame. IThis is the first in a while i have bought something for the boat and feel good, although the price and what i am looking does not not look much for the money, hey but thats project boating :) I

I will be ordering the Top Gun this week with all the rest of the fittings from Point north and Kyospruce. 

So top frame hoop is 25mm OD and that slides nicely ( 1.2mm wall ) over the lower frame legs of 22mmOD with a pair of 22mm tube clamps to slide up the top hoop into position.

I have ordered a pair of preformed mandrel bent 25mm OD tubes and should be here this week. I will weld these up for the hoop corners.

20181218-163609.jpg

20181218-164705.jpg

20181218-164726.jpg

20181218-164835.jpg

• Greenie 2

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You don't get a lot for your money with marine grade stainless! 

That intruiged me when I bought the stainless rod for Col’s dogbox build. I discovered that there are a whole range of different grades (I’m a woody; don’t do much metal) at widely differing costs. 

And the good stuff is ‘well ‘ard’ too!

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

You don't get a lot for your money with marine grade stainless! 

Would hate to think what all of the stainless would cost to replace on ours with the bow rails that come right back to the cockpit, big radar arch and transom door!

Well worth it though, no point scrimping hey Rach. I could of got it a bit cheaper from a local supplier but they come in 6m lengths only and need to be ordered in, and collection is a pain.  Also got all parts delivered together, cant be bothered faffing about to much nowadays.

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

That intruiged me when I bought the stainless rod for Col’s dogbox build. I discovered that there are a whole range of different grades (I’m a woody; don’t do much metal) at widely differing costs. 

And the good stuff is ‘well ‘ard’ too!

It is a bit harder kida, 318 SS / A4 you mean? Just a matter of slowing the drill nit down a bit and use good bits. 

• Greenie 2

Looks like the canopy frame has worked out :)

I had a go this afternoon and it works as i wanted and seems ok but for the crappy grub screws holding the fitting on. 3mm dont get a good grip bit so a bit loose and not able to fully tighten them, and 3.5 will not fit. I will have to see if i can get a new set. No big deal of a job.

So here we go.

Easy enough, screw down the frame mounts and stick bits of tune in and cut back to whats needed. The orange line is string from a bar on the canopy to get the correct line up for where i want the frame to be. 

20181222_124316.jpg.0cc2da0fdcdd01c6491fcb3ea0fdd581.jpg

As you can see here. 

The bars helped me get the rear height of the frame to get a run off towards the back.20181222_124827.jpg.21666803f0811ff363d3476a2e38d9ee.jpg

20181222_124838.jpg.ca27e8dfd683ea2f4f8dbaceffc2ed89.jpg

Then it was a case to get the hoop fitted by welding in mandrel bent tubes for the corners. Tacked in for now.

20181222_154454.jpg.2b46873828352cb72ed18516c22a731a.jpg

I kept the tubes over length so then i could cut back bit by bit until i was happy with it.

20181222_154514.jpg.14b8fbae9d7e708a21d593569af1ba5a.jpg

Showing the plumb line again where the canopy will drop. I need to sort a better fixture for the canopy to fit to over the engine lid.  

20181222_154542.jpg.07cff0a4fb1a42f391a3c36956f97359.jpg

And would you adam n eve it, it works :)

Folds down and hoop slides back as i wanted.

20181222_154748.jpg.d6276404746824a509d1c6fbf893acfb.jpg

20181222_154914.jpg.2c025d00ba989269be0d1d846a13eadf.jpg

Specs

Hoop is 25mm x 1.2mm wall, lower frame is 22mmx 1.2 wall. This give a real nice fit for the hoop to slide down the legs. The clamps work a treat aswell..

I am thinking on fitting a handle to the middle of the hoop to control the lowering and pushing into position of the hoop.

Also maybe a stainless steel riser block under the front legs so then the frame when folded will lay better.

There is a few more small alterations i think to be done to get it lined up more over the transom but thats it near a dam.

happy with it, but as always any advice to what i can do to make it better is welcome. 

20181222_154524.jpg

• Greenie 3