A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

Lest stat with the good news hey

Had a great holiday and enjoyed the rest very much thanks.  

That about as far as the good new gets i think lol.

Now the bad news

For the first time in my lie i am going to have to admit defeat on this project, never have i had to ask for help before, only asking for help not giving in on the boat, nah chance..

This being i am in a lot of pain and often constant and have been so for a good time now with what i think is an old rugger wound from many years ago catching me up. I near broke my neck and now the pain is constant and from neck through shoulder and arm. So this sanding lark is not doing me any good at all so i am struggling to get it done. I am off to the docs soon to see if they can help. physio maybe. Cant live on Tramadol anymore lol. No not addicted.

So there we are i need help, so if anybody can help i will do exchange work on there boat or even car mechanical work. 

Oh yes and i was just waiting for this and expected it sooner,but some may remember the rear deck i had to replace some time ago when i used a crap plywood from Wicks, Well the rest of it i made the locker tops, yes that has no failed and will need redoing again. Not big deal really, will make  solid GRP tops now. 

Edited by W+T

Thanks Paul and Mike for the interest in this old sod who is need of in help. 

As mentioned its only sanding the hull below water line. These are the recent pics i have just taken of where i have got upto, it looks a lot done but only a little is sanded really and more on the rear end is needed to be ground out and filled, along with what has been filled maybe more sanding once sanded back has been done, the usual fill sand fill sand etc. I caked the filler on good so maybe be one session on the sander will do the job without more filling. 

Thats all really that i need help with. I feel a bit daft needing help but the so called mates are busy....fancy that. I have been doing this bit in the pics for weeks as its to pan full in the end. Stop start every minute then even more agony for days after. 

41719248_10217585926664850_3239834564566

41713967_10217585927944882_3240312577246

41720893_10217585930184938_8599687131289

41772119_10217585932344992_7001193461558

I know its not the most exciting of jobs so i understand if are not keen on it. Feel bad enough asking for help as if i can do things myself i do so.  

I am happy to work on your boats in exchange, obviously no sanding like this laying on my back though. 

If anybody can help i really appreciate it very much.

Wayne

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, W+T said:

Thanks Paul and Mike for the interest in this old sod who is need of in help. 

As mentioned its only sanding the hull below water line. These are the recent pics i have just taken of where i have got upto, it looks a lot done but only a little is sanded really and more on the rear end is needed to be ground out and filled, along with what has been filled maybe more sanding once sanded back has been done, the usual fill sand fill sand etc. I caked the filler on good so maybe be one session on the sander will do the job without more filling. 

Thats all really that i need help with. I feel a bit daft needing help but the so called mates are busy....fancy that. I have been doing this bit in the pics for weeks as its to pan full in the end. Stop start every minute then even more agony for days after. 

41719248_10217585926664850_3239834564566

41713967_10217585927944882_3240312577246

41720893_10217585930184938_8599687131289

41772119_10217585932344992_7001193461558

I know its not the most exciting of jobs so i understand if are not keen on it. Feel bad enough asking for help as if i can do things myself i do so.  

I am happy to work on your boats in exchange, obviously no sanding like this laying on my back though. 

If anybody can help i really appreciate it very much.

Wayne

Hi

back from Malta 26/9.  Give a call when I am back to arrange a meet.  I have various sanders and will bring them with me.  A genny too if needed.

Wayne. There is no shame in asking for help if you need it.

If we were closer to you we would gladly lend you a hand. As it is we have a busy few weeks lined up and then we are away for a week.

If you are no closer to finding help when we get back sure we can sort something out to come and get a bit done.

• Greenie 1

hi Wayne, I understand your frustration, had it myself when knee gave up in the middle of a kitchen floor job.

Do you watch SAIL LIFE on youtube: Mads is renovating a 40 foot GRP yacht over a period of 2+ years, and has tackled most jobs along the way, is an expert in "sanding".   I can't help out, but sending you [hugs].

Edited by LadyG

• 1 month later...
On 19/09/2018 at 08:30, LadyG said:

hi Wayne, I understand your frustration, had it myself when knee gave up in the middle of a kitchen floor job.

Do you watch SAIL LIFE on youtube: Mads is renovating a 40 foot GRP yacht over a period of 2+ years, and has tackled most jobs along the way, is an expert in "sanding".   I can't help out, but sending you [hugs].

I have now thanks for that, I think watching Mads and also Travels With Geordie on Youtube has got me motivated a bit. Not been to keen as of late due to wanting to get the hull and exterior work done and not able to in time now and just........well

Andy ( Cheshire cat ) came around  a few week back and helped out sanding the hull while i did the easier work of patching a few holes. BIG thanks Andy, since then i have got a load more holes/damage filled, should be done now i hope but for a few dozen small cracks that need filling, but i need to get the rest of the sanding done to see where it all is at. I had  ago myself this weekend but only for half hour as started to suffer a bit to much.

Si sod that, i need to do something that is going to get me motivated.      

I am still struggling to download pictures as I can only do one at a time and it is a long process to do it so as filling and sanding pics are boring I will show an exciting part I am at. Not only that but as I have slacked such a lot on the boat and there is no point now in hurrying in getting the outside done to paint with the weather and all I will do what I can elsewhere.

So canopy time :)

BIG job ahead and looking forward to it, I made a table last week for the sewing machine o make it easier for such a large job.

I had to clear out the spare room for the sewing table, a job in itself. Just knocked up out off 18mm MDF and an old scaffolding frame i had lying around.

image: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43952777_10217835851712820_2941070192710516736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=9cfdcaa4a0c8f1c3682cbd3ef9dec92d&oe=5C40A644

43952777_10217835851712820_2941070192710

I was so busy and then could not be bothered I didnt manage to get some steel from the local stockist to make the mock up/design for the canopy frame, therefore it was to the local DIY store yesterday for some 22x72mm timber, Ripped it down to three lengths of roughly 22x22 so similar size to the 22mm SS tube i will be using for the frame. 

Before we go any further i am not fixed on this design and working on it.

Frame set up 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/WbxJyK7C/20181028-133147-1.jpg

20181028-133147-1.jpg

image: https://i.postimg.cc/VN80fCpF/20181028-133121-1.jpg

20181028-133121-1.jpg

Then folded down

This was the first time but i decided that the back upright is a little to out of proportion and high.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/P54vqxHs/20181028-131320-1.jpg

20181028-131320-1.jpg

So dropped it by 100mm and looks better and gives a better fall as it will now slope down more to the back.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/wjfxPsHv/20181028-132816-1.jpg

20181028-132816-1.jpg

To fold it all down it will need the sides at least removing then the top folds down as a backrest maybe for the seats. Held up with chains or strap which i think will be better.

I am going to practice all this on the trailer and making a cover for it on a low frame just to see if i can do it first and get a good fit. 

Lets see if i can keep motivated for the next few weeks as this week i will get a sheet of 5mm ply and do a bit on the interior and lightweight mosaic tile sheets for the galley. That is what i have decided to do on the galley unit as after thoughts it will hopefully look good and easier than laminating over the ply base it has at the minute in one sheet. Just being picky but i dont like the idea of laminating the unit in a few sections.

So any thoughts on the canopy frame please tell :)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I would reconsider making the rear of the canopy higher again. It will give you much more useable standing space in the cockpit.

It still gives full headroom with it that bit lower, Well just under six foot at the rear most. 

Still i can and will try it out and make it a bit higher to see how it is by altering angles ;)

1 minute ago, W+T said:

It still gives full headroom with it that bit lower, Well just under six foot at the rear most. 

Still i can and will try it out and make it a bit higher to see how it is by altering angles ;)

Ours is pretty square at the back which means you can sit on all of the seats without being hunched over.

We have been on some boats where the rear seats can't really be used with the hoods up due to the angle of the canopy not giving enough headroom!

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Ours is pretty square at the back which means you can sit on all of the seats without being hunched over.

We have been on some boats where the rear seats can't really be used with the hoods up due to the angle of the canopy not giving enough headroom!

Oh the rear panel you mean, that will be at 90 deg vertical, it doesnt look it n the pic but it is or will be, i was meaning the top panel that will be sloping towards the rear. 

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our top section has a slight fall to the rear just to shed water but it isn't very pronounced.

It has made me wonder for a while why it is such a thing of concern with canopy on boats and the run off or slope of the canopies, only as boats are not known to be level and rock even in the wind slightly so not always level. Unless its a bad canopy with a big sag in the middle. Probably me just seeing it wrong though.

5 hours ago, W+T said:

It has made me wonder for a while why it is such a thing of concern with canopy on boats and the run off or slope of the canopies, only as boats are not known to be level and rock even in the wind slightly so not always level. Unless its a bad canopy with a big sag in the middle. Probably me just seeing it wrong though.

Trust me there are good canopies, there are very good canopies and there are god damn awful canopies.

A decent canopy can make all of the difference to life onboard and make things so much easier for you.

Making a good one is an art form in itself as you are no doubt about to find out.

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Trust me there are good canopies, there are very good canopies and there are god damn awful canopies.

A decent canopy can make all of the difference to life onboard and make things so much easier for you.

Making a good one is an art form in itself as you are no doubt about to find out.

Making the canopy is going to be the biggest job on this boat, quite looking forward to it as its a new thing for me, If it doesnt work out at least i can fun trying. If tis a mess i best get saving for a new one. One bonus is the frame will be made as they charge an arm an leg for that.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Any progress on this over the last month Wayne?

Hi Rach

Nothing to shout about but for the canopy frame design is chosen and now saving for the materials. I fell soft on T as its her birthday in January and i spent the funds on her surprise, as you may agree she deserves a good prezzy for a big birthday after putting up with me for so long. Well was meant to be a surprise but it all went wrong so she got it already. 

Also struggling more now as my elbow is bad aswell as my shoulder an need an op as soon as i can get sorted.  

Andy and Paul offered to come over again to help out sanding but weekends have been busy and weather messed things up and what not. Thanks guys ;) 

• Greenie 1

A quick one on design, but the top loop will be of 25mm x 1.2mm  SS tube sliding down the lower legs of 22mm x 1.2mm so the frame can fold down fully over the top of the transom. 

using these fittings from Sea Screw

4697850.gif for the top of the lower/rear legs to hold the loop in position

these for the usual pivot points46861031.gif4686104.gif

6 hours ago, W+T said:

Hi Rach

Nothing to shout about but for the canopy frame design is chosen and now saving for the materials. I fell soft on T as its her birthday in January and i spent the funds on her surprise, as you may agree she deserves a good prezzy for a big birthday after putting up with me for so long. Well was meant to be a surprise but it all went wrong so she got it already. 

Also struggling more now as my elbow is bad aswell as my shoulder an need an op as soon as i can get sorted.  

Andy and Paul offered to come over again to help out sanding but weekends have been busy and weather messed things up and what not. Thanks guys ;) 

I am also in the process of making new canopies, both a cratch and pram hood .... well worth a look at the sailrite videos on youtube, they have step by step videos of making an enclosure which are full of tips and tricks from paterning all the way through .... love the table btw! :) 

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

Hi Rick

Yes,i have them all downloaded some time ago, this is the biggest part of the project to me, or the most difficult. Going to practice my sewing a few times first, first being a trailer cover,