A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Le Tonk is good stuff, innit?

Certainly is, i am panicking though about doing the cabin, i will spend a day cleaning it all out as much as possible so no dust in the air what so ever. 

6 hours ago, jocave said:

Blimey Wayne that's taking shape, liking those tiles, are those the ones on a plastic backing?? 

Morning Kev, Yes the self adhesive type. They are meant to be fine around hobs they are the stainless steel ones. i was going to go with SS sheet but then i spotted these while mooching and thought they would look better.

Oh and yes to the reply from last night (sorry i didnt get straight back go to bed early and up early. and thought i best not text you at this time of the morning lol ) cant wait, its hull work next ;) And i am sure you galley will be great with what ever you chose ;) never easy to choose things for the deco part.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You must have done something in the last month?

Hi Rach. 

Fancy that. Just sat up Washington avin a bacon nutty and thought I would pop in to see what happening.

Afraid very very little with work being so busy. I am off all next week and a few days after so when I get back  (from working) I should have a day or so spate. 

If I can I plan to get some epoxy filler and get onto the hull.

Just looking now where abouts I can pick some up next week while down 

• 3 weeks later...

Not an update a such but a tin of liquid gold has arrives a few bits so i will hopefully get on witht he hull work this weekend. Dare i say subject to faffing elsewhere.

I just hope i have enough as its not cheap this lot. Still it will get it ready to be painted and dare i say again AFLOAT :)....this year now lol.

20180523_173912.jpg

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Is this where you get high on the fumes?

Afraid not. Poly is better :)

Epoxy is not the best to get high.

Its been a cracking weekend for weather so I managed to get some repair work done on the hull. I was meant to be working today but that didnt go to plan so i worked on the boat a bit more. done along with the hatch surround.

I didnt get as much done as i wanted though as my elbows havnt been keeping up on the sanding upside down. I just paced myself and got some done. This is fraction of what neeeds to be done. 

There are so many tiny cracks that need grinding back and filling with the epoxy, bit by bit it will get done.

This is the set up i used.  As before i got the West Coast Epoxy and filler, for mixing pots i went to the bargain shop in town and got a dozen small plastic pots with lids, the lids canbe used for mixing in as well for smaller quantities.  £1 for four tubs and some wooden skewers from Tesco for the mixing sticks, these have little paddles on the end to help the mixing and then application of the filler. I did start with doweling to mix but ran out of them.

tn_20180527_122421.jpg

Mixed to a good filling consistency, as said on the tub peanut butter. This is perfect for all applications of filling as it sticks like...... 

tn_20180527_130351.jpg

Then slap it on once the patches have been ground back and then been primed with straight epoxy.

Tool of choice for grinding back. 

tn_20180527_122314.jpg

tn_20180526_124827.jpg

tn_20180526_122149.jpg

tn_20180526_122415.jpg

Then filled

tn_20180528_180639.jpg

tn_20180528_180647.jpg

tn_20180528_180744.jpg

tn_20180528_181413.jpg

Bow needed a fettle and yet still need to do the hole,i will be using epoxy for this, just out of matting for it. 

tn_20180528_180655.jpg

So as said slowly but getting there with it, i was getting tired of this so i went onto the hatch surround. Again using Iroko and did this up to now, 

Using epoxy as i have it to hand, tinfoil so it doesnt stick to the hatch aperture.

tn_20180528_180447.jpg

tn_20180528_180453.jpg

tn_20180528_180456.jpg

tn_20180528_180502.jpg

It will be sanded back and trimmed to shape once done then treated to many coats of Le Tonk.

It doesnt look much done but i have done a fair bit actually. Just a lot to do on the filling before i can pint it. Still undecided on colour and still on blue hull white top, just the blue will show up a more undesirables. It will still be having two lower strakes 3/4 way down the sides though.

• Greenie 3

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

How's the epoxy work coming on?

Bit slow Rach but for what has been done already, I have been down Bath/Bradford on Avon looking at a job and a few more in between this weekend and more to do for the next week months. I am going to see if i can do some after work in the next week or so to get a little further ahead with it. 

Next weekend i pick up my business vehicle :) and then to Birmingham to trial fit a job on the Sunday Saturday will be day for a chill put for a change and treat T to a meal out in the new car.

T`s orders n all.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Still progressing Wayne - you are far more of a perfectionist than I am.

Mike

Hi Mike

Still at it yes when i can, i have just finished full time work for the day and i need to get the axle for the car out the back of the van some how, not easy or light on your own. So its either fit that so i can get rid of the old car once its MOTed  ( cant wait to collect the new `Boatworks` one this weekend :):) ) or do more filling on the boat. Just having a brew quick before T and i will decide. 

Trouble is both jobs need good weather which it is, more the boat really. i can fit an axle in the rain but no use Epoxy.

Still on the go anyway ;)

you cruising yet

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...
On 17/08/2018 at 10:39, Flash_Gormless said:

I've been following this thread since the begining, what's happened no news for months???

Shocking isn it, and annoying for me as well I can tell you. I want it done so much now and not a great deal to do just time now to finish it. I have ordered some canvas to do a little more practice sewing again. The canopy is going to be heck of a job for me to do as never done it before, well as you have been a follower you will know that.  

I have been tied up with my full time job and Wayne Boat Work Services. Just hasnt been enough hours in the week. And after a 13hr day its hard to get motivated to do grinding/sanding GRP.

Saying that though I got some work done on the hull again today just having a break, sanded back and looking better, still a fair bit  to do but it is killing my arms and elbows, have bad elbows and rest is just out of sanding upside down practice, its a killer of a job.

I have tomorrow and next weekend to work on it  before I go away for two weeks for much needed rest then we will see where i can get bits done. 

I can get pics again but then its just a hull getting whiter and whiter. 

And thank you for following me, along with all the other, i will get my backside in gear asap. 

Wayne

On 28/08/2018 at 15:16, Naughty Cal said:

I want to see some pictures of this hull sometime soon. 

Upside down sanding isn't fun. Been there and done it and don't fancy doing it again in a hurry!

Hi Rach.

As soon as i get home then i will sort some pics out. Stuck here is sunny Lanzarote for another wwek. 

Its taking some doing thia fillong and samding. I am now wishing i did a full sheath over. 

On 01/09/2018 at 21:31, Cheshire cat said:

No way is that your boat but great to know you are still up for the challenge.

Oh yes. But it is as expected so no big shock. Iy all shown up after a sand blast even more once piat had all gone.

And nice vid Tony. Not a job i like now but kwwen to come home and do some. Had enoufh over here  now.