A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

If you want a job doing.........

And dont i know it. After all the rest of the boat i have done myself n all.. well 99%,  

54 minutes ago, W+T said:

And dont i know it. After all the rest of the boat i have done myself n all.. well 99%,  

It really does make you question the title ‘professional’ sometimes. 

46 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It really does make you question the title ‘professional’ sometimes. 

to be fair, the average competent professional has to work within a certain productivity range in order to make a living, whilst the OP can take time, and take pride, in doing what he loves to do.  ......  but he'd never make money working for others at his painstaking pace.

PS:   my BSS examiner does not waste time checking the labelling on the fire extinguishers, even though I have always replaced them when necessary, making sure they are kite-marked. .........  he just checks the gauge for green and it's a good'un.  Perhaps, like many of us who spent a lifetime in industry, he knows exactly how little value you should put on third party certification.   

Reminds me of a visit I made to a French factory manufacturing huge valves (48" butterfly) -  I went to witness a valve under test after seeing the test certificate issued by the resident Bureau Veritas inspector.   The valve seal was obviously leaking badly and I rejected it.  After being entertained to a boozy lunch (I wisely claimed to be TT) I returned to witness a re-test to find that the valve had been dismantled for re-assembly because they found it had originally been assembled with no O-ring seals on the spindle.  We were purchasing 18 of those valves and presumably they would all have been found to be leaking when they were delivered to Abu Dhabi.

I am sorry to say but even a professional in a rush, which in my point of view should be able to work under pressure, thats what they get paid for. or novice who can take there time can understand when on a set of templates it has a measurements in red saying the top dimension and which side is left to be 90 deg with the template being the bottom pf the cushion, to give the taper. 

Well the hardr parts weer cut, not to bad but wonky but got the near taper correct.

BUT here are the rear deck cushion which on the templates all ,marked with `3 inch foam and all edges cut to 90 degrees` 

Main central berth cushion, bit wonky hey and not exactly bloody square. 

20190601_174519.jpg.3d6d9d8923c3224c1d7731a7478a947a.jpg

Rear deck cushions.

20190601_174502.jpg.737720276e510cd0fd8ef89e51d4e819.jpg

I will be calling them Monday and emailing tonight the pics, and also ask where the stockinette is as they did send them along with the cushions.

And why the hell cant somebody elee recive a parcel but for one person i dont get.....Eee by eck i am grumpy lol

6 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I'm going to try and shamelessly copy that rudder @W+T. Using a 5hp on a small 19' boat at the moment, plenty enough power but it skits around like a dragonfly.

my 4hp Evinrude 2 stroke has a similar one that I made from aluminium plate, hung from 2 pieces of AL strip fixed to the cavitation plate and strapped around the shaft casing.  Not quite as smart but much easier to make.  It makes all the difference when wafting into a lock in neutral.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I'm going to try and shamelessly copy that rudder @W+T. Using a 5hp on a small 19' boat at the moment, plenty enough power but it skits around like a dragonfly.

Nice one i have just got copyrights  :) MMmmm let me think of a price lol

You going to do it all from GRP then ?

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

my 4hp Evinrude 2 stroke has a similar one that I made from aluminium plate, hung from 2 pieces of AL strip fixed to the cavitation plate and strapped around the shaft casing.  Not quite as smart but much easier to make.  It makes all the difference when wafting into a lock in neutral.

Not sure there Murf, mines was real easy to make and a few hours if that. And will not come loose as some can do that are bolted together.

6 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

that's the kind of rudder I remember my dad made for the small Mariner he had at the time. Worked very well. I have been tempted to fix the outboard straight and put a dinghy rudder on the back. 

3 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

that's the kind of rudder I remember my dad made for the small Mariner he had at the time. Worked very well. I have been tempted to fix the outboard straight and put a dinghy rudder on the back. 

that wont work anywhere near as good, unless its a massive rudder set further back from the prop.

9 minutes ago, W+T said:

Nice one i have just got copyrights  :) MMmmm let me think of a price lol

You going to do it all from GRP then ?

Not sure there Murf, mines was real easy to make and a few hours if that. And will not come loose as some can do that are bolted together.

If you're going to copyright a fin on the back for direction I think we've got problems with fish suing for previous art.

I do fancy doing it in GRP, have some spare but may have to have a few attempts

2 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

If you're going to copyright a fin on the back for direction I think we've got problems with fish suing for previous art.

I do fancy doing it in GRP, have some spare but may have to have a few attempts

LOL ye, that wouldnt surprise me from somebody nowadays hey. 

Its easy to do if you can laminate mate. just two sections to make, the third process is to bond the keel to the cavitation section. 

8 minutes ago, W+T said:

that wont work anywhere near as good, unless its a massive rudder set further back from the prop.

On small yachts with outboards on an offset lifting  engine bracket they seem reasonably easy to control on the rudder if the engine is secured to power straight ahead even if they sit alongside. Not great but. That's the only reason I started coming up with daft ideas about dinghy rudders. Of course it's always better if the prop is forward of the rudder. Plenty of small yacht designs had holes in the cockpit soles to achieve this.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So is it in the water yet?

Morning Rach, the launch isnt  until 24th June. Got a few rush jobs on to aswell.

Paint he hull, its nice so up early to get that done at last, fit  four new vents as BSS inspector has decided i need them now. Fit a new steering helm, story behind that. . And make cushions and curtains. 

I really need to fit the bilge pump and the horn but i can them bits after the Op this Tuesday.

Its all go still :):)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Wont be long now then.

Make the most of the dry weather it isn't going to last long!

Just having second wake up coffee then out to play :) 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Did you get it painted before the rain started?

It is properly bouncing it down here in Worksop. On the plus side it has cleared all of the sand out of the garage gutters! Saved us a job.

Had a good day, very close with the painting though. I JUST managed to get twp primers done, i wanted three but heavens opened.  I done the second coat and about 15 mins after it chucked it down so not sure how it will be as some of the run off the gunnels runs under the boat to the near the keel.  We will see tomorrow.  

I will do three coats of paint as and when i can now over the next week.

Also got a new helm fitted as i gave mine to a customer as he wanted an exchange unit which they dont do anymore so i made a new mounting plate for it. 

Another job done was the vents to keep the BSS inspector happy so i can get my certificate now. 

Three 90mm Clam shell, one Solar vent and a UFO vent.

Sorry i didnt take many pics

20190609_085954.jpg.bd45e1d30f7194c58650bc599b996079.jpg20190609_090731.jpg.fa03e512c83ad08c956f4f9344fc7f6d.jpg20190609_090518.jpg.d1be23b5bd5b398665e1ba4a7555abbd.jpg20190609_090614.jpg.275c45ed39507f7365257ce4683320d1.jpg

Then the bigger vents.

20190609_100031.jpg.99431524c6260e0e79249c6f610c02fc.jpg20190609_135656.jpg.8a40dbe8d7b3458670155466ab690bee.jpg20190609_152808.jpg.4317d2aa7a52f8628cb919ae1f471987.jpg

Tomorrow is to fit the plaques and fit he helm wheel and make a pin for the steering cable to connect to the engine. Got a few small bit to do but for got now and my list is down stairs and cant be bothered going down for it. I am in bed with T now chilling as she is not well today.   

• Greenie 2

Had a go tonight quick to see if i can make a cushion cover up. I have all the rear locker cushions and interior covers and curtains to make this weekend so wanted to see how easy/hard it is.

I just used some scrap canvas to try it out. I Have some very nice material here for the cushions inside and blue Top Gun same as the canopy for the locker cushions. 

Happy with the result :) .   

Please excuse the zip though lol.

20190612_175913.jpg.f380c81410ec14560ee3fce79e07a003.jpg20190612_191749.jpg.2e18a975dfcda15f2d125a2339acb669.jpg20190612_191812.jpg.2e442f39581c986e64a5df6d866be102.jpg

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So with a week to go until launch date how is it progressing?

Hi Rach. 

Bloody crazy, got the Heads water going again as i bust a JG T joint so water was not working, easy job but important. Fitted the TV that T got for us. 

Hull and rudder are painted but for one coat now that i can do as and when i can over the next week or so until the launch. 

Started on the interior cushions and about to go and do a bit more in a mo.  

New steering helm is fitted but for one disaster which has cocked things up.

I did a job for a chap in Coventry last week and i gave him my helm as he wanted the original type as the cog had worn in his. Mine was original and the same as his so i swapped him for a new Ultraflex T67 he bought in error. 

Now all good to go but for the bloody adaptor is missing and i swear i have left it on his boat. I called him anyway and he will have a look when he goes to his boat. maybe this week though. In mean time i am looking for one but cant find one anywhere. 

So no steering now.

Now i was adamant not to put back the launch again, due to the steering problem and wanting to get the cushions and curtains done. And the operation was cancelled again until the Wednesday and will be a dodgy launching 5 days after it will now be launched on the 28th June. Give me more time to recover. 

Not to happy but hey ho. Feels like something is stopping the launch for some reason.  

New steering bracket. Needs adjustment once the cable adaptor is found. 

20190616_115628.jpg.7d51644bbbde3fee94e45b364bf5a5e8.jpg

20190616_144648.jpg.fdb56ebf116417bd8c45221d68382d4d.jpg

• Greenie 3

• 2 weeks later...

thanks rach and tony

what a day its been, only just sat down after out shopping for bbg, cool box and pots pans, plates etc etc and boat stickers. got them well cheap three reg numbers and three names for a tenner. three he said incase you make a mistake applying them.

I have just been sat in the boat for half hour having a cider, arm bloody throbbing good time and killing but smiling and luvin it, You see got the done the cushions this week finished and last one tonight and fitted the carpet we also got for it today.

cant believe it :):):):)  

• Greenie 3