A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Excellent work as usual Wayne. Definitely go for the riser block. Instead of SS, why not fashion it from a lump of glassed-over sapele?

SS just to be a faffer lol. I was thinking  block from Iroko and le tonk`ed.

I dont think it will need it though at all as once the canopy is all folded down the hoop will be in that position anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Looks spot on. 

Crack this canopy lark and you could make yourself a nice little earner as there are always people looking for new hoods, frames or repairs and modifications to existing hoods and frames.

Reckon that was the easy bit. Hood next. About to double check the shopping list tomorrow and get it ordered for the the week i am off in January.

2 hours ago, W+T said:

SS just to be a faffer lol. I was thinking  block from Iroko and le tonk`ed.

I dont think it will need it though at all as once the canopy is all folded down the hoop will be in that position anyway. 

The Iroko would look good. I’d not thought about the thickness of the canvas - you’re probably right, it won’t need it. Or maybe it’ll need it more...?

On 22/12/2018 at 20:10, WotEver said:

The Iroko would look good. I’d not thought about the thickness of the canvas - you’re probably right, it won’t need it. Or maybe it’ll need it more...?

If i lift the rear mounts to level it as it is now then with all the canvas folded back i reckon the frame will sit as it is now. Hey who knows till its done :)

I have been thinking on setting a launch date the last day or so, to help me crack on more, an incentive. Not easy over winter and long days at work but lets have a look what needs doing in all and to get it ready to launch but comfy and no big jobs to do.

List of total jobs to be done in good detail but may not to be 100% and not in any order of to be done. This is without going on the boat and sitting looking at it. 

EXTERIOR

Canopy
Engine lid alteration for canopy to fit.
Fill and sand hull a bit more.
Paint.
Deck fittings ( Horn, Cleats Nav lights )
Wire up dash and deck lights.
Redo the rear deck lockers 

HEADS

Laminate Sink front
Finish making inspection hatch`s (half Done)
Flocoat floor
Finish port hole surround
Make/fit door

GALLEY

Laminate galley front and make doors.
Finish mosaic tiles around cooker
Trim

CABIN

Inner Hatch surround, make or buy. 
Trim back ply and prep for lining
finish fridge draw
Varnish
Make furnishings

I would a time scale on each job, I dont see the point as you know i am a bit behind already. 

Now to get it on the water usable with the rest of the jobs whilst afloat.

EXTERIOR

Canopy/Engine lid
Sand fill
Paint
Deck fittings

INTERIOR

Complete Heads.
Complete Galley
Varnish
Trim ply lining and line.
Make furnishings

A lot of the other smaller jobs can be done in between the main jobs if bad weather is scuppering work on the main exterior jobs.

Launch date will be when i started the project, that being four years ago so 17/05/2019 :):)

Fingers crossed for me please folks :)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Good to set a date. Gives you a target to aim for.

I reckon i will get it done but this will give more an incentive to crack on. Just about to send off a mooring application for Conwy Harbour mooring, yes slim chance but you neevr know. Plan to drop it in near Barton and cruise for a few weekends to Chester then drag to Conwy. Thats in hope its fairly stable. If not we will have a mooring on Conwy for next bigger project.

2 hours ago, W+T said:

I reckon i will get it done but this will give more an incentive to crack on. Just about to send off a mooring application for Conwy Harbour mooring, yes slim chance but you neevr know. Plan to drop it in near Barton and cruise for a few weekends to Chester then drag to Conwy. Thats in hope its fairly stable. If not we will have a mooring on Conwy for next bigger project.

I would stick it on a canal or river mooring first to check if is stable and you are happy with it.

You can always get the Conwy mooring at a later date if it proves to be stable and reliable.

19 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I would stick it on a canal or river mooring first to check if is stable and you are happy with it.

You can always get the Conwy mooring at a later date if it proves to be stable and reliable.

Hi Rach

In the recent times some folk have said its not safe to be on the sea at all, some ( not many ) say its will be fine in good weather as in calm conditions. After today speaking to a local chap who is from down North Wales Wales off another forum who knows his stuff has suggested 100% not to do for a few reasons. I have to agree really.

So plan is back to what it was a while ago. Home mooring at Stanley Ferry Marina, may cruise it there from Barton along the L&L yet to get there make a fun of it, its what is about, bridge hopping lol. This way its good hunting ground for the next bigger project while cruising the water ways up there mooching in boat yards and marinas for unloved boats. More chance of finding the boat we want in that area than Nantwich/ Shropshire.

See how it goes towards end of next year then apply for a swinging mooring at Conwy then on a better chance for a Pontoon.

Weekend is here anyway,get some work done :)

We have seen some right creations out at sea. If yours proves to handle fine (which is an unknown at the moment) on the canals and rivers then some sheltered estuary and coastal work might not be out of the question. 

If you get her to Stanley Ferry for this coming summer then we might be able to meet up somewhere in the area as we are in the process of planning a trip up to York coming back through the canal system. 

ETA: Done my work for the weekend. Scrubbed the boat from top to bottom inside and out today while Liam has been at work. It was filthy on the outside!

Edited by Naughty Cal

2 minutes ago, croftie said:

Wayne, what size motor are you planning on fitting?

This could determine canal and/or sea use.

It has a 10hp yammy but if i went sea, ( not now ) then a 30-40hp.

57 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have seen some right creations out at sea. If yours proves to handle fine (which is an unknown at the moment) on the canals and rivers then some sheltered estuary and coastal work might not be out of the question. 

If you get her to Stanley Ferry for this coming summer then we might be able to meet up somewhere in the area as we are in the process of planning a trip up to York coming back through the canal system. 

ETA: Done my work for the weekend. Scrubbed the boat from top to bottom inside and out today while Liam has been at work. It was filthy on the outside!

Well plan is set to be in Stanley Ferry for end June,  maybe mid July. Looked and its a seven day cruise ( Canal plan AC) to get there but will do it over weekends. 

Your was filthy, this one looks like when i got it lol. You off on a winter cruise then i guess ?

1. Well what have i been up to this weekend.

I cant tick off anything off the list yet as nothing is completed but near done.

I finished one of one of the inspection hatchs in the Heads. 

Framed the hatch with the 15x15 ally channel and it is held in place with SS self tapper. to 3mm back plate/tabs.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/hvfxz5xB/20181229-113054.jpg

20181229-113054.jpg

Now if you remember this is how i left the Heads unit.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/gjtYgW97/20180401-182510.jpg

20180401-182510.jpg

I can use more of the lightweight Mosaic tiles to clad it. What the original plan was to do was to use the Basting tape i have ordered for help in making the canopy, but it hadnt arrived in time, well about an hour after i did the job, again sods law . This could of been stuck to the unit as above but this would then of held the tin foil in place much better than what i ended up doing and just using masking tape. 

As here, all area to be laminated was covered in tinfoil so at to be easy removable from the backing ply/laminate i used to get the shape i wanted.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/qM6ypW4c/20181229-121150.jpg

20181229-121150.jpg

Then laminated with two 650grm combo matt, The aluminium to the left is what i used to keep a good corner as that will be used to fasten to the frame work once finished. 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/3NVGgFCD/20181229-133208.jpg

20181229-133208.jpg

image: https://i.postimg.cc/RZrfhGZk/20181229-133212.jpg

20181229-133212.jpg

This was left over night to set fully, this was done earlier so i could then get on with the galley front and trimming it back. I do wish now i did the same with this instead of having the pl backing but do three 650grm laminations. Oh well no biggi.

Once the Heads cupboard front had set it came away easy, as expected.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/PfWCXD7x/20181230-124201.jpg

20181230-124201.jpg

I could peel of the tinfoil but cant be bothered at the minute and doesnt matter if left on.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/7Yqff6vN/20181230-124211.jpg

20181230-124211.jpg

This shows the inner frame work i used to keep the shape i wanted when i stapled the 0.8mm laminate to. 
    This has now been removed.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/2yD3dj1r/20181230-131428.jpg

20181230-131428.jpg

I trimmed back a bit to get a better look and its not to bad. More to do as theer will be a door made so to gain access under the sink and all these ply bases you see are removeable to get to pipe work and one of the water tanks.

After that i made the shelving and now i am deciding what to do about the door and next main jobs on the list. 
    The canopy material will be here this week and next week i am off so fingers crossed the weather will be good to start the canopy patterns. 

So just another hatch in the head to be done and tile the front then plumb in, well connect the tap.......dam, i still have not tap. And Flocoat the floor and that will do for the Heads for the main of it. 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/nLNXzGZs/20181230-143835.jpg

20181230-143835.jpg

• Greenie 1

On 28/12/2018 at 18:23, W+T said:

Well plan is set to be in Stanley Ferry for end June,  maybe mid July. Looked and its a seven day cruise ( Canal plan AC) to get there but will do it over weekends. 

Your was filthy, this one looks like when i got it lol. You off on a winter cruise then i guess ?

We had a quiet five nights pottering around. In fact very quiet for us. Three of the five nights were spent on our berth which never happens. The other two nights were just local.

20181230-103705.jpg

I see you have changed your mind about Stanley Ferry?

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had a quiet five nights pottering around. In fact very quiet for us. Three of the five nights were spent on our berth which never happens. The other two nights were just local.

20181230-103705.jpg

I see you have changed your mind about Stanley Ferry?

Hi Rach, not totally as we have put our name down but from what i spoke to a few folk and we will be lucky to get one. And no tow path either from CRT, but them i rather better security. 

Found a good one in Skipton but again tow path. Found a good few inc the Fozydyke but bit far to get to for a Fridat aftnoon. a good few all over but anyway, we have found one near Cabus on the Lancaster, a farm mooring so better security and cheap at under £200 per year. Going up this weekend to arrange it.

Edited by W+T
  • Greenie 1

16 hours ago, W+T said:

Hi Rach, not totally as we have put our name down but from what i spoke to a few folk and we will be lucky to get one. And no tow path either from CRT, but them i rather better security. 

Found a good one in Skipton but again tow path. Found a good few inc the Fozydyke but bit far to get to for a Fridat aftnoon. a good few all over but anyway, we have found one near Cabus on the Lancaster, a farm mooring so better security and cheap at under £200 per year. Going up this weekend to arrange it.

Shame the Fossditch is too far for you as we know a few moorings that are coming up. A very nice and secure mooring is coming up for rent at the farm at Saxilby shortly.

17 hours ago, W+T said:

we have found one near Cabus on the Lancaster, a farm mooring so better security and cheap at under £200 per year. Going up this weekend to arrange it.

You will also have to pay End-of-Garden mooring fees on top of that Wayne.  These will be half the price of the local "reference site" CRT mooring, but I don't know which one that is for that area.

The CRT mooring at Cabus Nook has a 6m mooring advertised for £480, so £80 per metre per year. 

You will probably have to pay around £40 per metre per year direct to CRT on top of the £200 per year to the farmer.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Shame the Fossditch is too far for you as we know a few moorings that are coming up. A very nice and secure mooring is coming up for rent at the farm at Saxilby shortly.

Yes, i would like to be down there but its the minimum 2hr drive after work. You never know may get down one day. even for a few week visit.

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You will also have to pay End-of-Garden mooring fees on top of that Wayne.  These will be half the price of the local "reference site" CRT mooring, but I don't know which one that is for that area.

The CRT mooring at Cabus Nook has a 6m mooring advertised for £480, so £80 per metre per year. 

You will probably have to pay around £40 per metre per year direct to CRT on top of the £200 per year to the farmer.

Well the mooring owner didnt mention that god dam it. Still sorted it out today and its still fine and the best priced on the Lancaster from what we know. CRT start at near £600 for a towpath mooring. 

Wont start paying CRT  until we launch anyway so no dead money. On hunt for  some second hand scaff planks now. Have a few scaffolding companies around, see if they have any out of commission going cheap.