A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

There is a small cruiser around our way that has a large solar panel mounted on the transom. It actually looks quite good.

Don't appear to have a picture of it but we are heading down Torksey way this weekend so will grab a quick snapshot as we go past.

A far better option in my opinion then adding weight high up on a small cruiser.

I must admit to being slightly concerned about how this boat is going to sit in the water when finished blink.png

Sounds interesting how the panel is positioned there.

One thing this boat will sit lower as of the water tanks. Lot bigger than original. You think it will be top heavy Rachel.

There is a small cruiser around our way that has a large solar panel mounted on the transom. It actually looks quite good.

Don't appear to have a picture of it but we are heading down Torksey way this weekend so will grab a quick snapshot as we go past.

A far better option in my opinion then adding weight high up on a small cruiser.

I must admit to being slightly concerned about how this boat is going to sit in the water when finished blink.png

One thing this boat will sit lower as of the water tanks. Lot bigger than original. You think it will be top heavy Rachel.

I disagree, a flexible panel on a hardtop (there is only so much area to work with) won't make any difference.

The hardtop on my mates is a two person lift mainly due to the bulk, yes, it's a bit heavy but not so much as two blokes can't manage it, even better with the glass out.

In my mates we have put 80 odd kg of bar in the bow for ballast, he has nothing in the way of water tanks.

His handles well, all boats of this size will be a little bit tender as you step on them but OK under way.

I'm sure she will be stable enough.

Be interesting to see how she sits though.

Edited by gazza

I disagree, a flexible panel on a hardtop (there is only so much area to work with) won't make any difference.

The hardtop on my mates is a two person lift mainly due to the bulk, yes, it's a bit heavy but not so much as two blokes can't manage it, even better with the glass out.

In my mates we have put 80 odd kg of bar in the bow for ballast, he has nothing in the way of water tanks.

His handles well, all boats of this size will be a little bit tender as you step on them but OK under way.

I'm sure she will be stable enough.

Be interesting to see how she sits though.

I'm more concerned about the hardtop then the panel!

But any extra weight up top is going to make it even more tippy then it would have already been.

I'm more concerned about the hardtop then the panel!

But any extra weight up top is going to make it even more tippy then it would have already been.

As I said, my mates boat is identical, handles fine with the hardtop.

A bit of beer ballast helps too :)

should be reat,the hardtop will only weigh around 10kg ex panel, solid panels are around 17kg but the flexi are only around 4kg, So say 15kgs dont sound much, better still as the screen will be GRP now so lighter than wood. And to keep it down more on weight perspex/acrylic can be used, not that i want to.

should be reat,the hardtop will only weigh around 10kg ex panel, solid panels are around 17kg but the flexi are only around 4kg, So say 15kgs dont sound much, better still as the screen will be GRP now so lighter than wood. And to keep it down more on weight perspex/acrylic can be used, not that i want to.

If you think so.

Hey Wooly , clear something up for me ....

About those water tanks ......Where are they located on board ?

How many Litres ?

1 kg weight for 1 Litre of fresh water .....so , I`m thinking if the tanks are located low enough , ideally below water level , ( but that will likely not be possible) .You should possibly be able to gain some stability if they are placed correctly for / aft , and low enough , and balanced port/starboard .You would need to couple them together with some hose to get them to fill ( and empty ) equally to maintain balance but should be possible.???

Edited by boat fan

How many Litres ?

1 kg weight for 1 Litre of fresh water .....so , I`m thinking if the tanks are located low enough , ideally below water level , ( but that will likely not be possible) .You should possibly be able to gain some stability if they are placed correctly for / aft , and low enough , and balanced port/starboard .You would need to couple them together with some hose to get them to fill ( and empty ) equally to maintain balance but should be possible.???

The trim of our boat alters considerably depending on how much liquid is in each tank.

Our holding tank is in the centre of the boat at the bow, water tank midships spanning across the boat and diesel tank further back again across the boat.

We added 150 litres of diesel at the weekend and the stern sat down a good couple of inches. We then emptied the holding tank which sat it down even further and lifted the bow.

If the holding tank and water tank are fairly full and the fuel tank fairly empty it drops the bow and lifts the stern.

Now our tanks were all installed by Sealine in the factory, some thought went behind where to put them and the effects they have on the boat. Our friends with the same boat as ours have their holding tank down one side of the engine (same side as the batteries as well), fitted after market and it is a pig to keep their boat trimmed up properly.

Edited by Naughty Cal

The trim of our boat alters considerably depending on how much liquid is in each tank.

Our holding tank is in the centre of the boat at the bow, water tank midships spanning across the boat and diesel tank further back again across the boat.

We added 150 litres of diesel at the weekend and the stern sat down a good couple of inches. We then emptied the holding tank which sat it down even further and lifted the bow.

If the holding tank and water tank are fairly full and the fuel tank fairly empty it drops the bow and lifts the stern.

Now our tanks were all installed by Sealine in the factory, some thought went behind where to put them and the effects they have on the boat. Our friends with the same boat as ours have their holding tank down one side of the engine (same side as the batteries as well), fitted after market and it is a pig to keep their boat trimmed up properly.

I'm well chuffed with ours now I've moved the fuel tank to the same position as yours, the 3 batteries are now where the fuel tank was so the port trim doesn't alter.

The final job I have to do is move the 70l calorifier from the port side so it is adjacent to the fresh water tank on the starboard side, this will mean a less marked change as the fresh is used - I can't do it till I replace the water tank though as it will mean shifting it twice.

As we are at the moment she is a way better trimmed boat than before.

The fuel gauge is a nice touch too, no stinky dip stick dripping diesel on the gunwales now :)

I'm well chuffed with ours now I've moved the fuel tank to the same position as yours, the 3 batteries are now where the fuel tank was so the port trim doesn't alter.

The final job I have to do is move the 70l calorifier from the port side so it is adjacent to the fresh water tank on the starboard side, this will mean a less marked change as the fresh is used - I can't do it till I replace the water tank though as it will mean shifting it twice.

As we are at the moment she is a way better trimmed boat than before.

The fuel gauge is a nice touch too, no stinky dip stick dripping diesel on the gunwales now smile.png

Our gauge isn't the most accurate. It is an indication at best. We do know it pretty well now though. Told the guy filling it it on Sunday it would take 150 litres, it took 149.4 biggrin.png

On the subject of water tanks I thought you might be interested in this photo (from the Ormelite website)

This is a picture of the lower half of a Ormelite hull, the water tank can be seen forward and thwartships. It is pretty large, I don't know the capacity but full to empty accounts for about 2" of draft forward. It sits under the Vee berths in the forward cabin

05032010821.jpg?width=450&height=600

Picture by Danny Orme from Ormelite cruisers website

Edited by John V

How many Litres ?

Ow do kida, they are , well will be here, just had to search back through the posts to find these pics, i am a bloody loony, rose tinted glasses or what lol.

Anyway the tanks, will be here, about a third the way along the boat from transom.

post-8285-0-37902300-1445070661_thumb.jppost-8285-0-57336500-1445070710_thumb.jppost-8285-0-65438200-1445070742_thumb.jppost-8285-0-33626400-1445070772_thumb.jp

Each tank is 85 litres, i was going to go with what John V has shown but the floor is going to be way to high then, the way i chose they are near below the water line, well 75% is i reckon. As you mention, they will be joined by a balance pipe, i was going to have the two 110 batteries under the step in these pics, but now i am thinking i want three batteries and have them the other side of the bulkhead under the rear deck, but tight against the bulkhead.

Besides these tanks i did plan to fit a 50l-70l water tank in the bow, Not to be used unless needed and this would be on a shut of valve to the system. Thing is now i have removed the front bulkhead and cut it down so i can get more room for the V berths then galley, just another 6 inch but it all counts wink.png.

Edited by W+T

What weight are you putting in the bow?

As I see it at the minute you are going to be very stern heavy.

I can fit around 50-70l water tank, there will also be a little room for fixed ballast if need be, It will be easier tp tell once all ftted out and on the water to see where ad how much ballast it will need, i believe these boats need a lot, we will see.

I will measure up this weekend to see how big a water tank i can fit in the bow. It wil be more a water ballast tank which i can fill then empty to tow.

I forgot all about to measure upfor the bow water tank and to tired now to even go out.

What i have done though is clan out the con`y to make a workshop smile.png or the starts of, i need to really treat T to a good time when this boat is done i think, she loved the con`y so much, just cant afford the new roof for it........could that be to do with the boat i wonderblush.png

I wanted to get on with the top screen/canopy as i collected a few sheets of insulation but weather has been to bad, hope to get it done in the next week or so.

Oh and a picture of incentive when i look out the window smile.png

Bolted down the work bench so i could make the small side hand rails.and the pipe bender to it.

tn_20160710_160448_zpsmavc8tez.jpg

tn_20160710_182020_zpsqcnqdrqv.jpg

Fish tank is now another work bench, no time for fish keeping now sad.png

I got a wet/dry bench grinder...again......sold my last one for some daft reason, and the most annoying part is i can no longer sharpen drill bits for some reason, i was so good at it, now it takes me ages so i am going to cheat and get a gadget to do it for me.

. tn_20160710_160457_zpszebntzyd.jpg

So that took me a day to sort all that out but i did get a few bits made, some feet for the bow rail and i made some side hand rails.

tn_20160710_101052_zpsapsiytro.jpg

tn_20160710_182003_zpsd7hyckkl.jpg

tn_20160710_181945_zpsoz8edm3p.jpg

I started on the main rails feet, but as it is taking me so long to drill a bloody hole i have gave up, all marked out ready to be drilled though, i just put black perm marker on the bottom side and T held the plates down while i marked with a drill bit.

to keep all in order where they should go back on.

tn_20160710_175530_zpspbblluch.jpg

tn_20160710_175552_zps5vr204ai.jpg

here you can see how far out the holes will be if i use the original mounting holes, i am tempted to fill all the holes actually and re`drill them, only way i can think of doing this though is by putting duct tape over the inner hole and pouring resin in to fill it.

tn_20160710_175549_zpspnb9umat.jpg

So that is about it for this weekend, well but for a bit of welding practice which didnt last long as i ran out of argon, that didnt last long at all, gutted, was just getting the knack aswell of welding 1.6mm tube to 3mm thick feet, Not east welding thick to to thin.

I'm amazed and impressed at the efforts you will go to to DIY.

I bought these and was well satisfied with them. http://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-300mm-12-s-s-handrail.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=COrOvpjM6c0CFUJmGwodnN0IMQ

I hope yours turn out as good or better. cheers.gif

I would of had to get them made to spec due to the mounts on the boat, i searched all over to get what i need and nothing around, would of cost a fortune to be made, not to mention the bow rail. Hey lets just hope i can sort this Tig welding out lol.

And mine being good as you show....i doubt it, can always try though ;).

Thing is with projects, to me, its about the DIY, some things need to be bought but a lot can be made myself, maybe not as good as shop bought item but i did it myself which to makes a project just what it is. .

That workshop space is a great investment. The job will go much quicker now

Richard

Yes but can't fit the boat in it lol

And as daft as it is. Once it is painted and deck fittings fitted i don't need a workshop. All can be done in the cabin.

Yes but can't fit the boat in it lol

And as daft as it is. Once it is painted and deck fittings fitted i don't need a workshop. All can be done in the cabin.

You'll still find it easier to do some of the things off the boat. You don't end up doing that move-this-to-fit-that-damn-this-is-in-the-way-what-just-fell-over thing

Richard

• Greenie 1

You'll still find it easier to do some of the things off the boat. You don't end up doing that move-this-to-fit-that-damn-this-is-in-the-way-what-just-fell-over thing

Richard

I do that every day lol

Edited by W+T