A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

My projects seem to consist only of this phase sad.png

You need to develop myopia. For example, the OP isn't rebuilding a boat at the moment, his project is fitting side windows. It's the old eating the elephant thing*

Richard

*cue James T Berk

W&T

You've got me thinking about your front windows, I can't think of any boats i have been involved with that have opening front windows.

As the originals are fairly square in shape could you get a caravan window to fit? They normally hinge from the top so could fit the bill quite nicely?

My mate has been using caravan windows in a van conversion, the bespoke motorhome ones are way out of his price range, he has a donor caravan and used the windows out of that, had to make an internal frame to hold them but no big deal.

Excellent blog.

I know just how much work these kind of projects can involve.

As others have said, when it gets on top of you. Step back and take a deep breath. Sometimes completing a different job onboard when one gets stuck helps you feel that you are still making progress

You need to develop myopia. For example, the OP isn't rebuilding a boat at the moment, his project is fitting side windows. It's the old eating the elephant thing*

Richard

*cue James T Berk

I have to say i am due an eye test soon, well in a few weeks, but no way am i going to get new glasses, for one i would rather put the money into the boat and two i mite actually see what state the boat is in :))) lol

I think you have also learned that there's a lot to be gained by sharing projects here

Do be careful though, in fact if you are doing difficult work I really wouldn't recommend a thong

Richard

Mmmm i know, the dust gets everywhere, itchy bits and all for days blush.png

great thread - i look forward to following your restoration, thanks.

thanks kida

W&T

You've got me thinking about your front windows, I can't think of any boats i have been involved with that have opening front windows.

As the originals are fairly square in shape could you get a caravan window to fit? They normally hinge from the top so could fit the bill quite nicely?

My mate has been using caravan windows in a van conversion, the bespoke motorhome ones are way out of his price range, he has a donor caravan and used the windows out of that, had to make an internal frame to hold them but no big deal.

Not that bothered about them opening, more the fit and looks of them, i have a cutting list for the ally profile i need to make my own, just waiting to see what pops up, no rush as i can seal them off with gaffer and sheet for now. I have seen a few boats with caravan windows and for me they just done look right, aswell looked at car/van windows, but all to big. i have my eye on some but with the being houdini they mite go above my budget for them.

Excellent blog.

I know just how much work these kind of projects can involve.

As others have said, when it gets on top of you. Step back and take a deep breath. Sometimes completing a different job onboard when one gets stuck helps you feel that you are still making progress

Oh i have had a few `moments` as i call them, step back and breath, they all is good, takes a lot for me to throw a screwdriver :)

Certanly will Cal, Bit obsessed with it now, cant stop working on it. Just stopped to have tea and 5 mins. Just wish i didnt set myself a dead line for it to be done.

The top link i have seen and they are way to big as in wide, the front windows that is, and the others not the correct shape, they could be cut and shut but its getting them to seal once cut or welded together, not easy. The second link, possible, they look similar to the ones i have, not spotted them. Wrong shaoe again but they could be made to a square``er shape as i have got dam good at making these frame brackets. I will keep and eye on them, thanks kida.

I sooooo love a bargain, got two Houdini`s. both are in good nick, seals seem to bad either,. I was hoping they would fit the front jsut a bit to big though to look right, i was going to remove the bars as its looks like a prison cell. So change of plan to use one for what they are made, the hatch, and i will sell the other to get back what i paid for them.

Always wanted a Houdini but they are so bloody expensive, i now have two lol.

You cans see what they are like in the pics, the hatch aperutre needs a fettle for one to fit but no big deal.

gbW3Vrj.jpg

h4WB0Y8.jpg

dDZ7Fc2.jpg

Well first thing is first, get on with finishing the side windows.

Fit the Houdinis, paint it grey and pretend you are a torpedo boat

Richard

lol Richard, like the idea, and i have all the grey paint for it.

I would take the bars off them and then offer them in place again. They will look completely different without those bars.

Hi Cal, its what would of happend but the reason for not using them on the front is the size, they fit a bit to snug, they reach from top edge to lower edge, wont look right with no edge around them.

Afraid its not much of an update to say we have been working on the windows for a last so many days. What a pain these are, its a right faff to get the new seals in and keep them in place as you fit the rest together, and the all frame brackets keep snapping so i have to make more. Well were ready to fit two more atleast but i forgot to get some battens for the inner frame so that stopped that, i managed to get some more perspex for the bathroom window and i frosted them aswell before we put it back together.

Well, once again i hope to get them fitted this week once i have some more battens and weather permits.

Now what i have worked on today for a few hours, the Houdini hatch needs a new mount a sit a little bigger and more rounded on the corners than the original hatch aperture.

I had some off cuts of insulation board to make the mould for a new housing for it. I stuck the bits together with resin and then carved and sanded to shape.

fqtOgcH.jpg

FIBtW6V.jpg

SgQCQRG.jpg

Then it was into the cony to laminate it all up, we have removed the carpet to day which as lucky to get the work space, it was trying to rain now and then and i needed a dry work space, this will do nicely.

XcMIBg9.jpg

Again i used three laminations of 450grm to get a good strong 5-6mm thick cross section. I didnt use any flowcoat just gav eit a good sand down and its not to bad.

FQWsdr5.jpg

Then after an hour i trimmed back and removed the foam.

SP7QYRJ.jpg

I over trimmed the corners but no problem as i can amend that once fitted., all it needed was a sand back to good and hey ho

IqwgGSv.jpg

Y2XK2eG.jpg

As you can see i think, it is a bit bigger and of shape the the old one, easy enough to fit, just trim back to mathc the cabin profile then cut back the inner area which is stick out then laminate inplace on the inner side and fill the outer corner to make good.

2IHNMh3.jpg

Will be great when done, i am confident...well some body has to be lol.

Work is being done then, just not a lot to show for it still.

Mind you, this picture:

fqtOgcH.jpg

The dimpled jug is very nice and indicates good judgement. It's the colour of the liquid in it that concerns me. Please reassure me that it is a nice, hoppy summer ale

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Thanks guys, doesnt look much this end, getting nowhere. And to make things worse i got home to find that the silicone that has been used for the window seals is in a word carp, hasnt set in 3 days, so back to square one, stripping the frames down and cleaning up again, i called a local UPVC company that does a wide range of silicone type products, they have a Polymere type silicone in that sets harder than silicone but still has a bit of give. also it actually sticks to rubber so will be fully water tight. I will be getting more timber tomorrow for the frames and inner hull supports for the strakes, also the bearers, 2x2 should do for the lot.

The hatch has had its new aperture cut tonight ready for the new hatch housing, Will get on with this before or after the windows are done, they are getting on my wick now but i will bear with and get on with it, no stress.

Richard, sorry to say the glass in my cider jug, not often get the privalage of a decent pint, but i love cider, keeps me sain, although it is loopy juice, could be the reason i take on these projects.

Only when mixed with cider lol.

Snakebite!

Man after my own heart, I too am what the Wurzel's described as a cider drinker :cheers:

Pub in MK wouldn't serve my mate (must have been in our late twenties at the time) a pint of Snakebite, he asked for half of cider, half a lager and an empty pint glass :) barman wasn't happy but did see the futility of it all, big crowd of us so a few quid were going to go over the bar.

I take mine without the black, and you can keep that awful Strongbow dark!