Fradley to the Ashby Canal

Matt72

Featured Posts

Anchor pub at Hartshill is one which we often used to use when we moored in the area. But check that it's open - it has had a rather chequered career in the past.

Rose Narrowboats at Fotton -under-Stresse, whoops, Stretton-under-Fosse. No pub, but all services (diesel, elsan, water, shop).

Edited by Athy

Rose Narrowboats at Fotton -under-Stresse, whoops, Stretton-under-Fosse. No pub, but all services (diesel, elsan, water, shop).

?? Fradley to Ashby!!

Lots of pleasant possibilities on the Coventry until just short of Nuneaton, but you don't say what you want out of an over night stop. Pub? Tranquility? If you want tranquility then you can stop almost anywhere on that stretch out of the villages/ towns. I would chose a bank with piling for ease of tying up, and not too near the railway that sometimes encroaches. For pubs there is Whittington (bit of a walk) and Hopwas (right beside the canal) as mentioned, plus the Plough at Huddlesford. Several pubs within walking distance of Fazeley Jn and the visitor moorings just before. Couple of pubs in Amington on the outskirts of Tamworth. Samuel Barlow at Alvecote. The pub at Polesworth is now an Indian restaurant, but a good one I believe. Plenty of pub possibilities at Atherstone top lock (bit of a walk into town but not bad). Anchor as mentioned. Personally I wouldn't stop in Nuneaton except for shopping.

Once on the ashby it is very rural except for hinkley. Mooring can be a bit problematical away from designated visitor moorings due to shallow sides, but if you don't mind sticking out a bit and using the plank (if indeed you even need to get off the boat) then there are some lovely tranquil spots.

Thanks

Prefer to be close to a pub/village so thanks for the suggestions above. Are there many visitor moorings on the Ashby as we are 2'8" draught and don't have a boarding plank.

Matt

?? Fradley to Ashby!!

Ah yes, I was confusing it with our route from Cropredy to the Ashby.

As the Michelin Guides say, mérite un detour. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

You can moor literally alongside the Gate Inn north side of Tamworth, on offside by bridge 69. Suprisingly this 70 foot berth is often free. Good food although check serving times, and excellent range of real ales. About half way between the two points BTW.

I say check food times because I arrived mid Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks ago in glorious sunshine and started on oil change. By the time I was cleaned up it was 7pm and was gutted they had stopped serving food at 6pm that day. A few pints of Old Thumper consumed in the setting sun made up for it though.

Tamworth - mooring near Bonehill bridge with a wlk to a large shopping complex with a Sainsburys if that's what you want. Also good moorings at Fazeley Junction though they are in a rather uninteresting part of town.

Atherton is a good place to stop. Lots of moorings, pubs, useful shops and a pleasant little town.

Hopwas - I prefer the Red lion on the non-towpath side to the Tame Otter opposite. No shops.

Good moorings at Polesworth

Avoid Nuneaton though there is a rather attractive mooring opportunity near bridge 16 between the end of Nuneaton and Marston Junction. Nothing there except a few trees and a lot of songbirds.

On the Ashby itself there are some pleasant villages with pubs a short walk from the canal but none have any shops. There is shopping at Hinkley and Market Bosworth but both involve a mile walk.

Atherton is a good place to stop. Lots of moorings, pubs, useful shops and a pleasant little town.

I think that a mooring at Atherton would entail even more of a detour than my erroneous suggestion of Stretton-under-Fosse!

Ha ha. Sorry - meant Atherstone!!!

Yes, I had guessed. As Atherton is my surname I do tend to notice such spelling variations!

(Atherton is a town in Lancashire, for those who were unaware of it).

On the Ashby itself there are some pleasant villages with pubs a short walk from the canal but none have any shops. There is shopping at Hinkley and Market Bosworth but both involve a mile walk.

Stoke Golding has excellent visitor moorings and three pubs, a club and for the past year, an open (nearly) all hours shop, all within easy walking distance. Only one of the pubs serves food but behind the second pub in the village is a superb Indian restaurant. You don't have to walk a mile for shopping in Market Bosworth as there is a bus at 35 minutes (or thereabouts) past every hour that can be flagged down on the canal bridge.

You don't have to walk a mile for shopping in Market Bosworth as there is a bus at 35 minutes (or thereabouts) past every hour that can be flagged down on the canal bridge.

...then you can feel virtuous after walking the (downhill) mile back to the canal.

• 2 weeks later...