1st time through London

Featured Posts

I think the trick is not planning to get a mooring in any one particular spot, and when you feel you've had enough for the day, take the first mooring that comes along. Well that's what we did anyway and it worked out just great.

I'm really not sure how single handers make it up the Lee / Lea though. Pretty much every lock we came to yesterday and today had someone moored directly on the lock landing. Each time it was a matter of either putting in the bow or stern for one of us to get off and the other holding the boat in the middle of the river with the tiller while the other emptied the lock and opened the gates. Two of the 6 locks we did today we were able to use the lock landing, all the others had boats moored on the down stream landing. Surly there aren't that many broke down boats?

Never mind, it was a lovely day for a cruise and met loads of young families at the locks asking questions and taking photos. And I do really enjoy cruising on the river, it's very pretty.

Nice report.

Where did you moor approaching inner London day before Limehouse? (and before Little Venice). I guess somewhere near Kensal? unless you pre-booked?

Actually be interested in all your mooring spots from Watford down - only cos that's our patch..

Nice report.

Where did you moor approaching inner London day before Limehouse? (and before Little Venice). I guess somewhere near Kensal? unless you pre-booked?

Actually be interested in all your mooring spots from Watford down - only cos that's our patch..

We nabbed moorings at: near Benbow bridge (GU) / just before Kensal Green cemetery / "just" past Bridge 42 Rosemary Birch bridge / Limes House Basin.

You were spot on about Little Venice it was full. Sarah was also fully booked.

Dave's telling me to pass on how impressed he was with the width and depth of the London canals as well, he said he has to go slower on the GU past single moored boats than what he was comfortable doing on the London canals as in most places we could stay well clear of the moored boats and due to the depth were causing very little wash.

Hertford is not up to much unless you walk into town. Ware, in my opinion is much nicer with shops close by.

Thanks for that bizzard, will make sure we make a stop at Ware. We stopped for the night yesterday at Waltham Abby, good spot to stop to restock the larder with the Lidl & large Tesco's near the canal.

1st impression of the Lee/Lea - great cruising river pass loads of picturesque parks and open spaces, I've been quite comfortable to take the tiller for long sections. To the point Dave has been able to (for the first time since we've owned the boat) go up to the bow and sit on the deck chairs enjoying the passing country side and a bottle of aleicecream.gif

The boating etiquette up here in regards to mooring on lock landings is doing my head in!! It annoyed me on the GU when folk would use the last bollard on the landing to moor to, on the Lee it seems to be the custom for them to take the entire landing, leaving no space at all to hold the boat while waiting to take it into the lock. But on a positive note, I guess it's forcing me learn better control of the boat and holding it in one spot while waiting for the lock gates to openboat.gif

Wait until Stanstead lock....

Need to keep your wits about you in that one.

Yup - we've been warned about that one; will make sure the front doors are firmly shut before going into that lock

Nice report.

I don't really think you'll have much problem in mooring anywhere from Watford down to Brentford.

As for venturing into the city itself, work out when you are likely to be in Central London then book 7 days stay at Rembrandt Gardens. Arrive at Kensal Green any thing up to a week early and stay overnight. That way, you can cruise down into Paddington Basin the next day, arriving around 11.30am. If there is a space then moor. You’re good there for 7 days so you can either cancel your booking or keep it and have 14 days in the city centre. You won’t run out of things to do or see.

If you arrange your booking so as to leave on a Sunday you can then stay outside the London Canal Museum for 2 nights. If nothing else visit St Pancras station, not only to admire the architecture but to see how much better the British end of Eurostar is than the French. It is then a further 4 hours or so down to Limehouse where overnight mooring shouldn’t be a problem. Then it is round the corner to Three Mills from where you can visit the Olympic Park, Docklands and Greenwich before heading up the Lee.

• 2 weeks later...

Roydon rail was the one.

edit. I think

Well we've make it under that one (JUST) without loosing either the chimney or top box!! Mind you the one just before the rail bridge with the curve was a little scary as well

I must agree with all who said the Stort is pretty, it certainly is - mind you with rain on the forecast for Sunday, I think we'll cruise for a couple hours tomorrow then turn and get back under that Roydon rail bridge before the rain....there really wasn't more than 3 chin whiskers to spare coming under it on the way up.wacko.png

Thanks for info about the Stort, I "think" the plan is we turn around just before or just after we join the Stort due to the very low bridges. We are slightly over 7ft from water to the top of the top box and have been told we wouldn't make it under some of the low bridges.

Well I was wrong - 'im at the back decided that since we were this close we'd turn around a Ware, and have a wee gander up the Stort - for anyone who hasn't been, it's well worth the trip if you enjoy pretty country side, big views in some spots and large chestnut trees that over hang the river in other spots.

Well we've make it under that one (JUST) without loosing either the chimney or top box!! Mind you the one just before the rail bridge with the curve was a little scary as well

I must agree with all who said the Stort is pretty, it certainly is - mind you with rain on the forecast for Sunday, I think we'll cruise for a couple hours tomorrow then turn and get back under that Roydon rail bridge before the rain....there really wasn't more than 3 chin whiskers to spare coming under it on the way up.wacko.png

Well I was wrong - 'im at the back decided that since we were this close we'd turn around a Ware, and have a wee gander up the Stort - for anyone who hasn't been, it's well worth the trip if you enjoy pretty country side, big views in some spots and large chestnut trees that over hang the river in other spots.

I wouldn't worry about rain, it's only wet. Any rain will soak in and run away as the banks and surrounding land is pretty dry and won't cause the river to rise much, if at all. It's worth getting to Sawbridgeworth, especially the Maltings'tie up outside' where there are excellent antique centres. Your next low bridges would be Keckseys farm railway bridge and Spellbrook lock road bridge both of which are a touch lower than Roydon rail bridge, but these are both upriver of Sawbridgeworth so unless you carry on further no problem.

That's where we are as well clapping.gif

It really is a very pretty river...bit twisty turny, and not too much armcor , but we've managed to find two spots wide enough for us to moor with some decent hard standing so no need to pull out the gang plank.

Turning here tomorrow and heading back to the River Lee

• 1 month later...

I'm really not sure how single handers make it up the Lee / Lea though. Pretty much every lock we came to yesterday and today had someone moored directly on the lock landing.

If they are narrowboats you have 60ft of steel to moor against.

Edit

Sorry can't remember who said they spoke to you from a Narrowboat.

Edited by ditchcrawler