HIN number location on Steve Hudson boat

Edders

Featured Posts

Does anyone know where the HIN number is likely to be located on a Steve Hudson hull? (2007 boat with trad engine and back cabin-don't know if this makes a difference). A potential buyer won't proceed unless we can show him where it is?

Many thanks

Tony

do you have a builder's plaque? the HIN number should be marked on it.

Broker says it is a legal requirement!

Tony

it is a legal requirement (for the builder to provide) in the case of a boat sold within 5 years of construction.

it is not a legal requirement for you to have one on your boat when you sell it or buy it, if the boat is more than 5 years old.

as previously stated the number should be engraved or marked with weld metal on the outside of the starboard side of the stern, and in a hidden place, which is often on or under the engine bearers.

Edited by Murflynn

Surly this information should be in the handbook that is also a RCD requirment

???

Our boat, bought from a very reputable maker in 2006, does not have a handbook of any kind. We have a maker's plate but that has no number on it.

???

Our boat, bought from a very reputable maker in 2006, does not have a handbook of any kind. We have a maker's plate but that has no number on it.

well they stand/stood liable for prosecution by Trading Standards for not complying with the RCD.

should have an owner's handbook and a CIN/HIN number on the plaque and the hull. The 'reputable builder' should also have a technical file in their archives.

Edited by Murflynn

Hi,

Ally provided the info some time ago

"A little more detail for you on how the number is made up:

First two letters are the country code (GB)
Then a dash (-)
Then the manufacturers ID code,(BEA) or, if you are a one off DIYer, this will just be 'RYA'
Then a 5 digit serial code of your choice, numbers/letters (CNB16)
Then the month of manufacture, stated as a letter, (L)
then the year of manufacture (2)
Then the model year (12)

To meet the standard for this, characters should be at least 6mm high, and marked in a non removable manner, near the stern, within 50mm of transom top, gunwale, hull/deck joint or capping. A second marking must be made on a non-removable part of the craft in a hidden location."

Ray

well they stand/stood liable for prosecution by Trading Standards for not complying with the RCD.

should have an owner's handbook and a CIN/HIN number on the plaque and the hull. The 'reputable builder' should also have a technical file in their archives.

I have serious doubts about that. I am sure that he would have provided these things if they had been mandatory.

We may have a "hin" number, I have no idea. I have never noticed one. We do have a build number and the builder's signature in the gas locker.

To comply with the RCD the CIN/HIN should be recorded in the Owners Manual (copy of the RCD document at least) and the Tech File - owners copy

as well as stamped etc on the hull and in a secret location

If not the craft will not be registered as is the legal requirement for a new boat for sale or up to 5 years from completion

Its all in the RCD regs but my copy is in a PDF form that can not be copied or printed so can't copy/paste

Ray

Does anyone know where the HIN number is likely to be located on a Steve Hudson hull? (2007 boat with trad engine and back cabin-don't know if this makes a difference). A potential buyer won't proceed unless we can show him where it is?

Many thanks

Tony

I'm in the market for a Hudson.pm me with details if you can. Its the boat I'm interested in not what's stamped on the hull:-) =-O

We have a builders plaque and an owners manual plus RCD. It does not say in the manual where the HIN is on the hull. And obviously we can't get the information from the builder . We have looked in the all the places people have mentioned but have not found it.

I think you will find it written into the baseplate in welds along the centre of the boat at the rear of the back cabin, behind the fuel tank.

I think you will find it written into the baseplate in welds along the centre of the boat at the rear of the back cabin, behind the fuel tank.

it is a legal requirement (for the builder to provide) in the case of a boat sold within 5 years of construction.

it is not a legal requirement for you to have one on your boat when you sell it or buy it, if the boat is more than 5 years old.

Can you tell me where I can find this information online to forward to my buyer please?

Thanks

Tony

Hi,

I think the five year rule is only for "boats built for own use and not placed on the market within five years" not commercially built for retail sale so a Hudson would need to comply and I am sure have its CIN marked and recorded with the RYA

The CIN number is on your RCD certificate

Ray

I have serious doubts about that. I am sure that he would have provided these things if they had been mandatory.

We may have a "hin" number, I have no idea. I have never noticed one. We do have a build number and the builder's signature in the gas locker.

your doubts are your personal business. All boatbuilders must comply with the RCD which includes the stated requirements. Marketing a boat that fails to comply with European directives is an offence. If you don't believe it then google RCD.

the builder's hull number is not the same thing as the Craft Identification No. which must be engraved on the CE builder's plaque. As you know, all products marketed in Europe must carry a CE mark. In the case of a boat this is the plaque.

Edited by Murflynn

your doubts are your personal business.

You are too kind. But I no longer have any doubts. If these documents had been necessary, my builder would have supplied them. he didn't and, as he is an experienced professional, that's obviously because he had no need to.