Contact sport?

Ray T

Featured Posts

The central consonants are correct, I assume?

priggish
adjective
  1. self-righteously moralistic and superior.
    "a priggish little pedant"

priggish
adjective
  1. self-righteously moralistic and superior.
    "a priggish little pedant"

Yes, Ray, thank you. I was simply volunteering a mild jest.

I do like "Pecksniffian" though.

The central consonants are correct, I assume?

Mirth mirth mirth indeed.

"Privacy"???? Teeheehee. If you want to keep something private you don't stand in the middle of a canal screeching like an inebriated banshee.

Fair amount of girth too

Me too. Another grate word for my list!

Pecksniffian
pɛkˈsnɪfɪən/
adjective
adjective: Pecksniffian
  1. affecting benevolence or high moral principles.
    "he adopted a Pecksniffian tone"
Origin

....is, as you may have suspected, Dickensian. Pecksniff is a self-righteous character in 'Martin Chuzzlewit'.

Reminds me of my late father who, describing a roly-poly bespectacled chap whom he knew, called him "a little Pickwick of a man".

Yes, Ray, thank you. I was simply volunteering a mild jest.

I do like "Pecksniffian" though.

Good woody word, hang on, the judges votes are in, YES it's scored 8/10 on Nigels "discombobulation" scale.

Edited by mark99

"Only ever thinks of himself", I think she was saying!

I've heard those words a few times, normally describes male of the species, spoken by female of species in habitats where females congregate such as nights out with the gurls or in female orientated work places.

Obviously I am in no position to judge if men use the accusation ref women as in "Only ever thinks of herself".

She did also pass some comment about he could do all the driving himself..wonder if she wanted a turn?

On the first video why is one person steering and another person on the throttle.

Some years ago we followed a boat that was tacking (that's the best way I can describe it!) up the cut with one person working the throttle, another steering and a third sitting on the front of the roof directing operations.

I pulled in to moor up, just as the other boat pulled in about 50 yards ahead (or rather smashed into the bank). As the crew were making a 'pigs ear' of mooring my wife went up to see if they wanted any help. She came back with a big grin on her face to tell me that the party was Royal Naval Officers on one of the Calcutt 'Navy Boats' ...

Some years ago we followed a boat that was tacking (that's the best way I can describe it!) up the cut with one person working the throttle, another steering and a third sitting on the front of the roof directing operations.

I pulled in to moor up, just as the other boat pulled in about 50 yards ahead (or rather smashed into the bank). As the crew were making a 'pigs ear' of mooring my wife went up to see if they wanted any help. She came back with a big grin on her face to tell me that the party was Royal Naval Officers on one of the Calcutt 'Navy Boats' ...

Lol I had a chat last year with the crew on one of these. Chap reckoned The Andrew was far more of a handful to steer than any of the Royal Navy warships he had commanded!

Well, that's how the Navy steer their big ships isn't it?

Captain says what he wants to do, which is repeated by his underlings, and eventually the man in the engine room carries out his request. Seems like a way to guarantee prolonged reaction times to me, making collisions less avoidable :)

Not only poor boat but possible damage to the infrastructure?

Ray the infrastructure at 215 is destroyed, they aint gonna hurt it! If the guy who took the vids was so concerned why didn't he send them to the owner? who could have dealt with any problem. That lift bridge is, like most on the oxford, on a corner, The steerer, in the first vid, let go of the tiller and the back of the boat went into shallow water. At that point he was going to hit the brickwork what ever he did. The owner watched the first vid and was not unduly worried. Yes the boat was going a bit fast for passing a moored boat but not excessive and why was a boat moored that close to the bridge hole anyway? I notice that comments on the vid have been disabled That was after I pointed out what I have said here. So why did he disable the comments?