Contact sport?

Ray T

Featured Posts

Probably just the two - they are both standing well to the left-hand side, and if the boat is "tender" then she'll heel over.

Just before the clip ends you can make out at least three people in the cabin who appear to be interested in what is going on!

Howard

My day boat has been on "final warning" for several years now. My heart sinks when I see a mini bus turn up and drop the "crew" off as that means not one person on board has to remain sober. Far better when it's three cars as I know I'll have at least three sober people on board then.

We've got relaible people we know well in our area (and the other yards) who will let us know if they are up to mischief, but it is still hard to control as we have no legal power (other than chucking them off the boat) over their behaviour, and reasonable requests normally fall on deaf ears when people have a bit too much booze inside them - "Lighten up mate, it's just a bit of fun" etc etc say the 10 people on the roof oblivious the dangers they are in.

Years ago, on the third time of my going out to Rosette on the same day, I took several staff along with the intention of accompanying them home - a nice relay walk along the towing path would be good for some of them we thought! They saw us coming and in their scramble to get off the roof before we had seen them (duh) two of them fell in. I thought that made the point quite well but the next day when the compensation claims for ruined clothes started to roll in it was somehow my fault for making them panic.

Part of me would happily give up operating the day boat - it makes little money and accounts for the vast proportion of the risk and grief we get from the hire side of our business, but then what about the hundreds of nice people each year who book it, listen to the handover and have a lovely time, or the regular hirers we love to see who come along for the day just to get a "fix" of boating?

There soon might not be anywhere for them to go as now there are only three day boats on this length where there used be eight so I guess I'm not the only person to have had that thought.

I've read on here in the past how hire operators should "screen" customers before letting them hire a boat, but no-one has yet put forward a practical way of doing this.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

The day boat that goes out from by me will often go out with 10-12 on it, and the boat looks like it is perpetually sinking when it does.

Something else I have observed from being moored in the middle of a great number of day boat/hire company bases, a couple of hours cruise from most and near a big canalside pub with a car park, is that sometimes, additional crew are wandering around with their bags waiting to be picked up by a hire boat. This happens so regularly that I assume that some of the time they do this to bypass the company's restrictions on the number of people or the makeup of the hire party on it.

Having watched those videos, neither of those impacts were as hard as three of our boats received today from a pair of Big Woolwiches who had a motor steerer who could have come straight from one of those videos smile.png

As people get into more and more trouble steering or manoeuvring a boat (and this applies to many private boaters too) they seem to think salvation lies in more power, hence our frequent advice: "When you do not know what you are doing, do it slowly."

Something else I have observed from being moored in the middle of a great number of day boat/hire company bases, a couple of hours cruise from most and near a big canalside pub with a car park, is that sometimes, additional crew are wandering around with their bags waiting to be picked up by a hire boat. This happens so regularly that I assume that some of the time they do this to bypass the company's restrictions on the number of people or the makeup of the hire party on it.

It's a possibility - but only one we've had happen once to our knowledge. What we commonly get with groups is that they are coming from all over the country to meet up on the boat, and arrival times wildly. So long as there are enough at the boat yard at the right time to complete the handover and take the boat safely, the stragglers will often arrange to meet up (in our case) at the Barley Mow at Newbold, where we advise the pub are very accomodating about having a car left for a day or two if you have a meal and a few drinks in there.

Yes, I think men just like revving up. I'm a bit surprised at the power of most narrowboat engines, we have just 10hp and seem to get along fairly well - for canals of course, not rivers.

Any serious bangs and one should be asking the crasher for their insurance details and hunting for a couple of witnesses. Well, someone has to pay for it. I accept small bumps as we all know it's tricky to steer at times and the boat just won't go where you ask it to, and the wind can hinder things. Small bangs and saying 'Sorry' is OK, ramming at full speed and just buggering off without a word is just not cricket.

The problem with engine size for us comes down to what's available. No one makes a robust 3-cylinder unit, so we starting at about 35hp for a decent 4 cylinder lump. The next problem is that in theory* we don't want to be carrying multiple engine spares so while they were available we were fitting Isuzu 42s to everything, and then just propping them appropriately for the boat. Using the right oil, this hasn't been a problem for us.

The day boat has a 3-cylinder as there's no way a 4-pot would be suitable for that, and further more there is a restrictor on the amount the throttle can open.

All our boats carry incident report forms. Any event of note should be recorded and signed by both parties (if possible) at the time.

For information: It transpires that the customer we are waiting on arriving has forgotten they were going on holiday today :) I look forward to meeting them tomorrow!

The problem with engine size for us comes down to what's available. No one makes a robust 3-cylinder unit,

Is the Lister Canal Star 3-cylinder engine not robust?

My day boat has been on "final warning" for several years now. My heart sinks when I see a mini bus turn up and drop the "crew" off as that means not one person on board has to remain sober. Far better when it's three cars as I know I'll have at least three sober people on board then.

We've got relaible people we know well in our area (and the other yards) who will let us know if they are up to mischief, but it is still hard to control as we have no legal power (other than chucking them off the boat) over their behaviour, and reasonable requests normally fall on deaf ears when people have a bit too much booze inside them - "Lighten up mate, it's just a bit of fun" etc etc say the 10 people on the roof oblivious the dangers they are in.

Years ago, on the third time of my going out to Rosette on the same day, I took several staff along with the intention of accompanying them home - a nice relay walk along the towing path would be good for some of them we thought! They saw us coming and in their scramble to get off the roof before we had seen them (duh) two of them fell in. I thought that made the point quite well but the next day when the compensation claims for ruined clothes started to roll in it was somehow my fault for making them panic.

Part of me would happily give up operating the day boat - it makes little money and accounts for the vast proportion of the risk and grief we get from the hire side of our business, but then what about the hundreds of nice people each year who book it, listen to the handover and have a lovely time, or the regular hirers we love to see who come along for the day just to get a "fix" of boating?

There soon might not be anywhere for them to go as now there are only three day boats on this length where there used be eight so I guess I'm not the only person to have had that thought.

I've read on here in the past how hire operators should "screen" customers before letting them hire a boat, but no-one has yet put forward a practical way of doing this.

I do feel for you, your day boat does seem to be one of the most abused in the midlands.

Some years back I phoned you to advise I'd just pulled it out of a field, and had last seen it weaving its way towards Brinklow with 6 drunks on the roof intent on capsizing it. The bloke at your end sounded totally non plussed. I guess I wasn't telling him anything unexpected.

How about designing one with a canvas tilt for a roof?

Well all I can say about the videos is they make me look like a pro at the tiller icecream.gif

unsure.png

Is your day boat marked up differently to the rest of the fleet? I see lots of your holiday boats, but i'm not sure I've noticed an obvious day boat, but of course, I may not be on the main route for the day boat.

We have seen it. It's a wee small one, as the name suggests.

I fail to understand how someone can think it's ok to go as fast as both those boats did when there is an obvious obstruction coming up. The faster you go the more potential damage, the slower you are reduces that potential to just a scrape or a kiss. Granted you lose steering at slower speeds, but i'd rather bump and kiss something instead of potentially doing some serious damage.

Grammar edit.

Edited by Cruising Mike

These are just standard newbie boating mistakes.

I fail to understand how someone can think it's ok to go as fast as both those boats did when there is an obvious obstruction coming up.

Yes, there is a difference between a 'mistake' and 'wilful uncaring damage'.

Looking at damage, dents & scratches & scrapes, on rentals cars in any hire car car park will show you that some many just don't care.

At least on the canals they are only smashing up boats and bridges. Keeps CRT repair teams employed, so not all bad...

In the second clip their attention clearly on their conversation first and handling boat second.

I followed trip boat through Husbands Bosworth Tunnel..interesting experience as they stopped mid tunnel for ages to allow 2 boats to pass and then their tick over speed much slower than mine and I found it challenging to keep my distance behind, a long long tunnel passage....on exit of tunnel noticed about 8 on the boat in front, it was listing since the weighty ballast mainly one side...all seemed in their 70's and some quite weighty individuals, and some maybe older. Then pulled over to allow me to pass and advised me they needed "cup of tea" after that passage.....I suppose at least they were not drunks on day out....a boat full of inebriated pensioners would be interesting.

Keeps CRT repair teams employed, so not all bad...

So that's OK? I assume it was meant in jest. As an example the bridge (a listed structure) at the top lock in Stoke Bruerne was hit by a vehicle recently - there's visible damage above the towpath just below the lock. The decking is owned by Northants County Council but the parapets are owned by CRT. With heavy transport, buses, refuse lorries and farmers agricultural equipment using the bridge (only non-weight limited east/west road between A43 and Milton Keynes) the parapet has moved slightly so the push is on to have it repaired - eye watering amounts of money which will initially come from CRT (and our licence fees amongst other sources) and may, just may, be recoverable from the insurers of the person who hit the bridge (and to the best of my knowledge it wasn't his fault) but all that is known is where he works! There will be huge inconvenience to the village, visitors, walkers, boaters and so on all for the want of, what I understand, was a 30 second wait by a vehicle wishing to use the bridge so it is not only the financial impact, eye watering as that cost is, but the social implications of the possibility of restricting traffic (no buses to/from Towcester, difficulty in refuse collection, farmers unable to access their land on the other side of the bridge and so on) whilst authorisation for the spend is gained internally within CRT and the requisite planning permissions (because of its listed structure) gained. Planning may be fast tracked with any luck.

Is the Lister Canal Star 3-cylinder engine not robust?

The later ones are better than the early ones, which literally ripped themselves off their mountings. After we'd been through two of those we put a 3-cyl Isuzu in which has held up well so far, but little three cylinder lumps are never as smooth as a 4 cylinder.

Just going to big up the Barley Mow at Newbold, I've booked two friends, and my Mum, in there for short breaks in the past and they all say it is a fantastic place with very reasonable prices for B&B.

The people running it now are really good, and keen on the business from the canal. Just yesterday they dropped off another load of their leaflets for us to put in the boats.

We're all doooooomed.

Are you not making a mountain out of a molehill, Leo 2? Vehicles hit walls and narrow bridge parapets all the time. The council, or whoever owns the structure, then comes and repairs them. Of course it would be better if it didn't happen, but it's not in the same league as famine, plagues of frogs and locusts, or Ed Miliband as Prime Minister. Indeed, there was a similar impact on one of the bridges across Well Creek here in Upwell recently and I saw the builders repairing it yesterday, working from a floating pontoon with scaffolding on it. I hope that normal service is resumed as soon as possible in Stoke Bruerne.

Edited by Athy

I do feel for you, your day boat does seem to be one of the most abused in the midlands.

Some years back I phoned you to advise I'd just pulled it out of a field, and had last seen it weaving its way towards Brinklow with 6 drunks on the roof intent on capsizing it. The bloke at your end sounded totally non plussed. I guess I wasn't telling him anything unexpected.

How about designing one with a canvas tilt for a roof?

unsure.png

I think some of the others round here get a much harder time than ours does. As tempting a solution as a canvas tilt sounds, I suspect it would end up torn to tatters and left in a tree quite early on in it's life!

Is your day boat marked up differently to the rest of the fleet? I see lots of your holiday boats, but i'm not sure I've noticed an obvious day boat, but of course, I may not be on the main route for the day boat.

It seldom strays up the locks, purely because of the time available in a day.

The later ones are better than the early ones, which literally ripped themselves off their mountings. After we'd been through two of those we put a 3-cyl Isuzu in which has held up well so far, but little three cylinder lumps are never as smooth as a 4 cylinder.

That's very surprising, given Lister's reputation for robustness and durability. As for smoothness, I have never owned a boat with as many cylinders as that so I could not comment!

I seem to remember that there were two pubs almost cheek-by-jowl in Newbold, but I have heard recently that one pub bought the other pub and closed it down, is that correct?

That's very surprising, given Lister's reputation for robustness and durability. As for smoothness, I have never owned a boat with as many cylinders as that so I could not comment!

I seem to remember that there were two pubs almost cheek-by-jowl in Newbold, but I have heard recently that one pub bought the other pub and closed it down, is that correct?

I've never met anyone in the marine trade who was particularly fond of Alphas, or the plant trade for that matter.

SR/HA/HR/TS on the other hand are pretty bomb proof. We've still got some SR2s and TS3s in the fleet that have outlived several later generations of propulsion power, and our work boat fleet is all HR or TS. I've no intention of changing them either!

The Boat at Newbold went through several owners in short order and as of last year is owned by the Barley Mow, who use it for functions etc.

Thanks for that information. I am amazed that you still have some SR2s in your fleet - they must surely be the last such engines in hireboat service (though UCC have some Sabbs which must be just about as old). Which of your boats still have these engines?

To be fair looking at these vids, they all seam to throttle trying to get out of trouble, which is wrong.

And it's a shame that contact sport is branded about.

I would be horrified to think that I hit another boat with that attitude.

Yes can accidents happen, but if so do it slowly, take the throttle back !!!

Col