Devils Garden

1agos

Featured Posts

Thanks for that Neil.. I shall have to try that ale nowcheers.gif

It comes recommended by my local (to Frodsham) mate who knew the link.

He also told me to correct my tatty old website..,.as I refer to Devil's Garden as Devil's Kitchen!

The water pipeline from Vyrnwy to Liverpool crosses the river there. The raised concrete pad in the corner of the field has valves underneath the "Liverpool Water Works" manhole covers, and you can hear the water running. I always fancied turning off the water to Liverpool for a giggle.

MP.

• Greenie 1

The water pipeline from Vyrnwy to Liverpool crosses the river there. The raised concrete pad in the corner of the field has valves underneath the "Liverpool Water Works" manhole covers, and you can hear the water running. I always fancied turning off the water to Liverpool for a giggle.

MP.

So that is what it is, I guessed sewage, not much difference

MP.

I'm not the only one then!

Cheers

Gareth

When we have moored there we are usually the only boat until last September. We moored and I set off on my hunt for sloes and encountered several folk walking (never seen any walkers there before) then I heard voices. When I returned to the boat we had been joined by 10 boats from the Broken Cross club (they had been at an event in the flashes) . We had a pleasant evening together but it struck us as amusing that we had picked an isolated mooring which was busier than any other bit of the river .

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

• 3 years later...

So....still no definitive answer after all this time! I Googled it and there was talk of single species of trees, ants,  Formic acid and the Amazonian rain forest. The Weaver and that great river don't seem to have a huge lot in common. 

It's still a lovely mooring though.

20180717_130821.jpg

On 15/05/2015 at 23:25, ditchcrawler said:

For those that don't know what we are talking about

LFOpXc3.jpg

m3RMt1U.jpg

wacPk44.jpg

8hqzk2u.jpg

dVRyw1W.jpg

Always surprises me that there doesn't appear to e any security on the covers or access to the platform.  I suppose it is well out of the way so not known about by the oiks.

(Until now|)

5 minutes ago, dor said:

Always surprises me that there doesn't appear to e any security on the covers or access to the platform.  I suppose it is well out of the way so not known about by the oiks.

The word of the day is "Ilks"

(See separate thread - posted 21 hours ago so 3 hours left)

Maybe you could have "Oiks" as word of the day tomorrow.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...

Not answering the original question but I think some of you might find this interesting. 

There was a well reported UFO sighting at the Devils Garden in the 70's involving a group of students and a landed UFO and spacemen and a cow.

More importantly to me. My mum was from Frodsham and told me that there is a bit of a family legend about the place. Her dad was a poacher and told my mum and her 4 brothers and sisters never to go there alone as it was 'a bad place'. This was never explained but my mum said that this was not like him and that she felt he had good reason to say it. They had been there with him and it was a beautiful part of the river Weaver but she remembered him making a point of it when they were there.

Prior to that, apparently one of my mums aunts was seeing a lad nearby and the Devils Garden was a convenient cut through for secret liaisons. She knew it wasn't somewhere she was supposed go after dark but with love on her mind she did so one night and saw what she described as a knight in shining armour in what was then a meadow at the Devils Garden. She ran home terrified and only told my mum and sister years later after she read the news article about the supposed UFO sighting.

I'm not one for woo stuff but I remember my hair standing on end when my mum told me about it.

• Horror 1

On 15/05/2015 at 10:59, Neil TNC said:

When we were there last we were pestered by cows.

You were more likely to disappear in a quagmire of cow pats, than Devil's Garden!

Not much changed. We too last year.

When we moored there last, we were woken in the middle of the night by a huge wave moving the boat and splashing along. At least that's what it felt like: actually it was a cow, falling in between the boat and the bank.

A long farago involving 112 and the fire brigade and very little further sleep ensued.

MP.

19 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

When we moored there last, we were woken in the middle of the night by a huge wave moving the boat and splashing along. At least that's what it felt like: actually it was a cow, falling in between the boat and the bank.

A long farago involving 112 and the fire brigade and very little further sleep ensued.

MP.

But a pint of fresh milk at least for your morning brew?

Assuming of course it was a girl otherwise that could have got messy :)