Narrowboat stuck in the humber

jacko264

Featured Posts

Fro NBW it says it was stuck on a sandbank and a danger to shipping, only if the ship had wheels I would say http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/8009-narrowboat-grounded-

If the water was that shallow, any nearby shipping would have gone aground well before reaching this boat, so not really a danger to shipping.

If the water was that shallow, any nearby shipping would have gone aground well before reaching this boat, so not really a danger to shipping.

The quotes in the two pieces are rather different

"It was stuck on the bank right in the middle of the river. If shipping or other traffic came past, it could have been dangerous."

and
"I have never seen a boat stuck like that, he was on the sandbank in the middle of the river, and could have been dangerous to passing shipping"
The former seems more likely eg a big ship making lots of wash...

This is reported to be on the Ouse, above Goole, not on the Humber. The report in the Hull Daily Mail says that the boat was blown past the lock at Goole but it is a fair distance to Boothferry Bridge from there so I wonder if the boat has had engine trouble which might explain why it had gone so far up river.

Howard

I'm not too sure shipping goes that far up the Ouse and it would take the swing bridge on the Howden side if it did. I wonder if the boater was unfamiliar with that part of the river and cut across the sandbar to the right side of the Hook Island.

I did that some years ago after mistaking the channel for the Aire confluence (doh!) despite it being very shallow we got away with it on the up tide.

Three weeks ago I moved a boat from Goole to the river Derwent and passed that way. We went out on the incoming tide and the sandbar was covered and very tempting, so I think a narrowboater not knowing to follow the channel would be tempted to head directly for the M62 bridge.

Editing to amend Google to Goole - you can see why I went wrong side of Hook Island!!

Edited by Midnight

Typical exageration all round

its the Ouse not the Humber at that point

well upstream from from the furthest wharf still in use by shipping, must be 15 years since a ship went up past there

blown up past Goole i think not we came up the Ouse into Goole that day and the wind was blowing down the river

They were no danger not even themselves all they needed to do is wait for nature to bring along the next tide.

Local papers are renown for poor reporting and without belittling the good work Humber Rescue do the more dramatic the story the better it is for donations

• Greenie 1

Typical exageration all round

its the Ouse not the Humber at that point

well upstream from from the furthest wharf still in use by shipping, must be 15 years since a ship went up past there

blown up past Goole i think not we came up the Ouse into Goole that day and the wind was blowing down the river

They were no danger not even themselves all they needed to do is wait for nature to bring along the next tide.

Local papers are renown for poor reporting and without belittling the good work Humber Rescue do the more dramatic the story the better it is for donations

I took a small coaster (tad under 500grt) up to Selby in 1971/2? to a mill, we had a fairly deep draft and as I recall we bounced our way up past Goole on a flood tide and just managed to squeeze through the swinging bridge (?) at Selby. As I recall there was a hard turn to starboard and the mill was just a few hundred yards further on, on the right hand side. I would imagine an under powered vessel would have some difficulty on the Ouse if tides were not used to advantage.

Well remembered the mill is still there but no longer recieves from the river, there are swing bridges at Boothferry where the narrowboat grounded and 3 at Selby the new bypass built has a swing bridge. and the original private road bridge plus rail bridge so the navigation is still open to coasters if rquired. The last comercial i recall going up to the mill were box barges of rice taken up 2 or 3 at a time by a tug

I think it is probably right that this boat had either broken down, or the grounding was due to inexperience and a lack of knowledge of the river.

With the grounding having taken place on CRT waters I have to question why CRT appeared to have nothing in the area to help and that rescue had to be effected by Humber Rescue, based over twenty miles away at Hessle?

If CRT is encouraging boaters to use a river with tidal waters surely it should have help closer to hand?

Edited by thunderbird

I think it is probably right that this boat had either broken down, or the grounding was due to inexperience and a lack of knowledge of the river.With the grounding having taken place on CRT waters I have to question why CRT appeared to have nothing in the area to help and that rescue had to be effected by Humber Rescue, based over twenty miles away at Hessle?If CRT is encouraging boaters to use a river with tidal waters surely it should have help close to hand?

Although Humber Rescue are at Hessle they have fast boats which, I am sure, would have been on scene within an hour or so of a call out. It would be difficult to see how CRT could beat that, even if they had a suitable craft, manned and ready to go in Goole, bearing in mind that they would have to pen out of Ocean Lock. Humber Rescue frequently attend incidents both on the Tidal Ouse and the Trent. It does emphasise the need for VHF on rivers.

Howard

I think it is probably right that this boat had either broken down, or the grounding was due to inexperience and a lack of knowledge of the river.

With the grounding having taken place on CRT waters I have to question why CRT appeared to have nothing in the area to help and that rescue had to be effected by Humber Rescue, based over twenty miles away at Hessle?

If CRT is encouraging boaters to use a river with tidal waters surely it should have help closer to hand?

This rescue was right on the edge of Humber Rescues area in which they work. Their website shows the area they cover.

Any further upstream and it would have been a tug from Goole carrying out the rescue which would have been a slower response to the situation.

It isn't CRT's responsibility to provide a rescue service.

Well remembered the mill is still there but no longer recieves from the river, there are swing bridges at Boothferry where the narrowboat grounded and 3 at Selby the new bypass built has a swing bridge. and the original private road bridge plus rail bridge so the navigation is still open to coasters if rquired. The last comercial i recall going up to the mill were box barges of rice taken up 2 or 3 at a time by a tug

There were deliveries after this by 'Seagull' during 2011 and early 2012. Tonnage through Hull declined unexpectedly so it wasn't economic to continue but it's always possible again in the future.

regards

David L

There were deliveries after this by 'Seagull' during 2011 and early 2012. Tonnage through Hull declined unexpectedly so it wasn't economic to continue but it's always possible again in the future.

regards

David L

Hello David,

What happened to the plans for fly ash export from Drax Wharf? I remember the Torrent taking a full cargo from Drax Wharf in 2010/11 to the South Coast, and at that time it was aid that there were hopes for further similar cargoes.

Howard

In reply to some of the points raised with regard to my questioning the distance Humber Rescue found it necessary to travel to the boat that had grounded beyond Goole, I have to ask how it could be quicker for Humber Rescue to travel approximately 23 miles, even allowing for its fast boat, than a tug penned out of Goole only some three miles away from the incident? And yes, I do consider that CRT in encouraging use of the Trent, thus for some also the Ouse, has a duty of care to those that choose to go as a result of that encouragement.

From what I read on the Humber Rescue website it seems the rescue boat is kept pretty busy much closer to home, its absence over such a distance could therefore concern any that may need to rely on its services.

In reply to some of the points raised with regard to my questioning the distance Humber Rescue found it necessary to travel to the boat that had grounded beyond Goole, I have to ask how it could be quicker for Humber Rescue to travel approximately 23 miles, even allowing for its fast boat, than a tug penned out of Goole only some three miles away from the incident? And yes, I do consider that CRT in encouraging use of the Trent, thus for some also the Ouse, has a duty of care to those that choose to go as a result of that encouragement.From what I read on the Humber Rescue website it seems the rescue boat is kept pretty busy much closer to home, its absence over such a distance could therefore concern any that may need to rely on its services.

I would be very surprised if there is a suitable boat available at Goole which is permanently manned ready to go. Availability of a suitable vessel would be down to chance. Even if there was, a quick departure would depend on the lock turn round times. For example, if the lock was penning ships out with a queue waiting to come in this could take 30-40 minutes before it is ready for it.

Humber Rescue look after the area in question as part of their remit, together with the Lower section of the Trent, and they are very quick off the mark when reacting to a call out. They would be capable of reaching this casualty within around one hour at their top speed.

I will just have to disagree with you about whether CRT should provide safety cover. In the Trent up to Gainsborough that actually would come under ABP as would the Ouse from the Apex to Skelton Bridge, which are both monitored by VTS.

Howard

Edited by howardang

In reply to some of the points raised with regard to my questioning the distance Humber Rescue found it necessary to travel to the boat that had grounded beyond Goole, I have to ask how it could be quicker for Humber Rescue to travel approximately 23 miles, even allowing for its fast boat, than a tug penned out of Goole only some three miles away from the incident? And yes, I do consider that CRT in encouraging use of the Trent, thus for some also the Ouse, has a duty of care to those that choose to go as a result of that encouragement.

From what I read on the Humber Rescue website it seems the rescue boat is kept pretty busy much closer to home, its absence over such a distance could therefore concern any that may need to rely on its services.

The EA encourage boats to visit the Ancholme. Would you suggest they also provide a rescue service?

The short answer to the question as to whether I would expect the EA to provide a rescue service for the Ancholme is that I would not. A rather pointless question I think when the Ancholme is surely a sheltered river with little flow that bears no comparison whatsoever to the Trent or Ouse?

I am aware that stretches of the Trent are not managed by CRT, I was referring to those that are. If what I remember is right doesn't CRT in fact have a pontoon on ABP waters?

This story was front page news in the Goole times. The narrowboat set off from Naburn heading for Selby but due to the strong winds was blown past the entrance . He also couldn't manage to get in at Barmby so headed for Goole and ran aground. Humber rescue waited with him to make sure he refloated ok and then he made his way into the lock at Goole.

Hi Howard,

Sorry for delayed respones. Although a load may have been taken to Shoreham (I think) the main customer was based in Waterford, Ireland. The contract was lost when, due to the recession, the ash was no longer required. As the Ouse is a CRT Priority Freight Waterway (with significant tonnages to Howden Dyke) it's maybe time to contact the parties concerned to see if it can be required.

Kind regards

David

Hello David,

What happened to the plans for fly ash export from Drax Wharf? I remember the Torrent taking a full cargo from Drax Wharf in 2010/11 to the South Coast, and at that time it was aid that there were hopes for further similar cargoes.

Howard

Edited by fanshaft

This story was front page news in the Goole times. The narrowboat set off from Naburn heading for Selby but due to the strong winds was blown past the entrance . He also couldn't manage to get in at Barmby so headed for Goole and ran aground. Humber rescue waited with him to make sure he refloated ok and then he made his way into the lock at Goole.

Humber rescue report from their Facebook page

**INCIDENT ** - 05/05/15

Humber Rescue where tasked by HMCG to attend and assist a narrowboat that had gone aground between Ouse Bridge & Boothferry bridge. It was agreed that the vessel should refloat on the next tide. Humber Rescue launched at 1700 and arrived on scene approx 1800. After a short wait, the 16 tonne narrowboat did refloat but would not have enough power to go against the tide to Goole and a place of safety, therefore Humber Rescue assisted with a tow into Goole docks and onto Goole Marina where the single person crewman was relieved and very grateful.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Sorry Naughty Cal - with all due respect this seems to be going from the sublime to the ridiculous and I can only suggest that we stay on topic, please, with boats going onto tidal waters, and not from them? There are definite concerns with regard to inexperienced boaters cruising tidal waters that we should not seek to ignore. Both historical and more current events prove this fact plus prove the necessity for knowledge on the part of the navigation authority for this venue. Because some have had uneventful trips does not mean that all will. Much is of course dependent upon the various heights of tides plus other weather conditions and of course correct timing at the locks.