Coffee in the morning

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

LOL - we haven't had shore power since last July. I make due with either instant or cafetiere for the first cup in the morning and don't make a proper brew till the engine starts.

But I believe the OP has shore power so could easily get a coffee machine she could program to make a brew ready for hubby when he gets up

I thought Dave had so much power nothing was a problem now icecream.gif

my advice would be use the minimal amount of water in the kettle each time and another thing I do on the boat is fill an empty water bottle full of water and keep it on the side for filling the kettle so its warmer than straight out of the tank :-)

Go to bo-bo's with a hot water bottle and if my instructions are followed will still be full of nice warm water for making early morning coffee. After warming up the feet in bed first and then if slipped up yer nightshirt or nightie onto your chest it will keep it really nice and warm until morning. You don't have to lie on your back all night because of it, but can roll over face down ''prone position'' where it will keep even warmer, Warning!!! This position will cause severe bruising if using a stone hot water bottle. Rubber hot water bottles are the best for the purpose and quite harmless unless you happen to swallow it and choke to death during the night. In view of such a catastrophe happening, I recommend the wearing of a full face crash helmet whilst asleep, same as what the racing drivers wear.

If you like weak luke warm coffee or tea your early morning cuppa can be made immediately. If not, just either bung the hot water bottle in the microwave for a minute or empty it into a kettle to boil it. The taste of coffee made with hot water bottle water has a very pleasant rubbery flavour and splendid aromatic aroma which is I think nice and quite exquisite. A substantial saving in power can be had by using this method. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

Another method is ''the bulb'' method which can be used during the evening while watching telly.

Simply arrange upon the table a glass of water, into this glass of water lower a 12v light bulb on its flex, only up to the brass cap though or it'll short and go off pop. A 5 watt bulb will warm the water nicely, a 21w bulb quite hotly, and a 60w headlamp bulb for fast results. This method, of course, has twofold uses, the bulb will still emit its light through the glass to light up your cabin as well as heating the water for coffee.

Switch the bulb on after lowering it into the water and not before to avoid surprising and busting it.

my advice would be use the minimal amount of water in the kettle each time and another thing I do on the boat is fill an empty water bottle full of water and keep it on the side for filling the kettle so its warmer than straight out of the tank :-)

I use the hot tap

Another method is ''the bulb'' method which can be used during the evening while watching telly.

Simply arrange upon the table a glass of water, into this glass of water lower a 12v light bulb on its flex, only up to the brass cap though or it'll short and go off pop. A 5 watt bulb will warm the water nicely, a 21w bulb quite hotly, and a 60w headlamp bulb for fast results. This method, of course, has twofold uses, the bulb will still emit its light through the glass to light up your cabin as well as heating the water for coffee.

Switch the bulb on after lowering it into the water and not before to avoid surprising and busting it.

I remember this being recommended for a steam injector for cars in the days when they had carburetors, A headlight bulb in a water tank comes on with the ignition.

Dear Mr Bizzard

As per usual your comments and advice helpful. Sadly i do not own microwave...last one went up in flames so kinda crossed them off my must have list. Im not sure I quite understand the light bulb suggestion...I only possess those low wattage supposed to be good for energy rating excuses for lightbulbs ...would this then take longer?

Guess I had better leave nightlight under pan of water then by end of night it should be heated through to boiling...obviously I will ensure nightlight inside container with pan suspended on top to lessen risks of a fire.

regards Patty

which is similar to the technology used in some of those mini 12V kettles sold as car accessories.

I have one on the boat so i can brew up on the move without lighting up the hob. Takes about 20 minutes to boil a cup-full. When it is working the bottom of the kettle lights up.

which is similar to the technology used in some of those mini 12V kettles sold as car accessories.

I have one on the boat so i can brew up on the move without lighting up the hob. Takes about 20 minutes to boil a cup-full. When it is working the bottom of the kettle lights up.

There yer go. Ideal at night then if it lights up.

Dear Mr Bizzard

As per usual your comments and advice helpful. Sadly i do not own microwave...last one went up in flames so kinda crossed them off my must have list. Im not sure I quite understand the light bulb suggestion...I only possess those low wattage supposed to be good for energy rating excuses for lightbulbs ...would this then take longer?

Guess I had better leave nightlight under pan of water then by end of night it should be heated through to boiling...obviously I will ensure nightlight inside container with pan suspended on top to lessen risks of a fire.

regards Patty

Glad you think my comments are helpful Patty-ann because nobody else does. I sometimes think I'm flogging a dead horse feeding people with all the nonsense. I don't have a microwave either. Sad to say those low energy bulbs don't create enough heat, they only make your eyes go all wobbly and give you a severe headache if you read by them.

Dear Mr.Bizzard,

Would using one of your "Dark Bulbs" have the same results?

I'm afraid that information is top secret. closedeyes.gif My electric dark bulb has yet to be perfected. Its looking like it'll be able to cool things rather than heat things.

Go to bo-bo's with a hot water bottle and if my instructions are followed will still be full of nice warm water for making early morning coffee. After warming up the feet in bed first and then if slipped up yer nightshirt or nightie onto your chest it will keep it really nice and warm until morning. You don't have to lie on your back all night because of it, but can roll over face down ''prone position'' where it will keep even warmer, Warning!!! This position will cause severe bruising if using a stone hot water bottle. Rubber hot water bottles are the best for the purpose and quite harmless unless you happen to swallow it and choke to death during the night. In view of such a catastrophe happening, I recommend the wearing of a full face crash helmet whilst asleep, same as what the racing drivers wear.

If you like weak luke warm coffee or tea your early morning cuppa can be made immediately. If not, just either bung the hot water bottle in the microwave for a minute or empty it into a kettle to boil it. The taste of coffee made with hot water bottle water has a very pleasant rubbery flavour and splendid aromatic aroma which is I think nice and quite exquisite. A substantial saving in power can be had by using this method. closedeyes.gif

Daft as a brush. Have a greeno.

You drink water from the boat's water tank??? It'll be a bad case of rustiguzzi for you, lass, if you're not careful. Unless you have some form of filtration system between the tank and the tap, drink only bottled water (which need not be an expense - we simply keep old milk or Coke bottles and fill them from a fresh-water tap).

I was going to say we drink bottled water (17p from Asda for 2L although we get discount so it's less than that). Although we do have a filter tap on the boat, but we don't know how long the water in the tank has been there.

Anywhoo, still haven't tried any of the suggestions but I think we'll probably bring our coffee maker on board whilst we have the luxury of shoreline.

I was going to say we drink bottled water (17p from Asda for 2L although we get discount so it's less than that). Although we do have a filter tap on the boat, but we don't know how long the water in the tank has been there.

Anywhoo, still haven't tried any of the suggestions but I think we'll probably bring our coffee maker on board whilst we have the luxury of shoreline.

So empty the tank and refill it with fresh rolleyes.gif

We had a trick for boiling water quickly at work using two teaspoons, but it is too dangerous to publicise :)

Is this the answer to the worlds energy problems?

Two Tea spoons as a heat source? Surely must have had some Biz input into getting it to work :)

There yer go. Ideal at night then if it lights up.

regards Patty

All the Indian and Chinese restaurants use them

Daft as a brush. Have a greeno.

You drink water from the boat's water tank??? It'll be a bad case of rustiguzzi for you, lass, if you're not careful. Unless you have some form of filtration system between the tank and the tap, drink only bottled water (which need not be an expense - we simply keep old milk or Coke bottles and fill them from a fresh-water tap).

Never had a problem in 20 years

I'd guess, two teaspoons, some very fat cable & a large battery?

We had steam generators for the air conditioning like that, big plastic tank with about 6 electrodes in it.

I thought Dave had so much power nothing was a problem now icecream.gif

cheeky banned.gif

actually though...I haven't asked if I can now run my coffee machine whenever I want now that he has the solar all hooked up and working properly...mind you I tend not to ask such questions anymore as they normally result in a 1/2 hour to 45 min explanation on AMP's, wattage and power management...I can usually follow along for the first couple of minutes then my mind wanders to the dinner menu or a better rotation system for my roof planters cloud9.gif

What's wrong with that? Been doing it for a month so far and no issues. Its a really small tank so needs to be filled from empty every week. I drank from the river (which I know has 'processed' sewage when I didn't have access to something to drink on a walk

What's wrong with that? Been doing it for a month so far and no issues. Its a really small tank so needs to be filled from empty every week. I drank from the river (which I know has 'processed' sewage when I didn't have access to something to drink on a walk

I've always drunk the water from the boat's water tank. Even the original tank on Reginald which was a huge and very rusty galvanised household water tank.

Oh hang on, I wonder if this is what's been causing the trouble all along!!

:)

MtB

P.S. New avatar eh Pennie? A gurl who can walk on water I see. I'm impressed!