Toilet trouble persists. How to fix new bolts to mansfield traveler.

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I got some great advice from here when our toilet initially started causing trouble two weeks ago. I was advised that the bolts that hold it down (mansfield/traveler toilet) had probably sheared and I'd need to fix new ones. We bought new ones and I've stripped the toilet down. 2 were totally broken and one was v wobbly so correct diagnosis. However I can not for the life of me fix them...I am no DIY wonder so I am hoping against hope that I am being thoroughly daft. The issue I think I am having is that the bolt shearing means that there is still a bit of bolt stuck somewhere inside. Am I meant to keep screwing the new one down and the old one will drop away? I've tried that a bit with no luck so far. It's also a bugger of a place to be screwing bolts...I thought maybe a little knock with a hammer would help get it going but you can't get anything there except your fingers.

Any advice massively welcomed as I have no idea how to get myself out of this very literal mess!

Thank you

FWIW I stayed out of the original thread because the correct advice had been given. However my dump through is NOT secured in the way described in the last thread. My ex hire boat has two thick rubber gaskets (not the official ones) sat on to of the tank with non-standard bolts passing through the toilet base, the gaskets and the top of the tank. I replaced mine with four longish A4 stainless screws and nuts. i had to reach down through the open "flap" to fit and tighten the nuts. Maybe yours is like this and so does not use the "bayonet" hold down fitting.

I don't understand what you are saying.

Could you take a photo????

I assume you have removed the lower part of the toilet, the bit with the ball valve etc inside.

You should have also removed a spongy rubber seal.

You should now see a small black plastic flange that should be firmly screwed to the top of the tank. Check that these screws are tight.

The flat heads of the four bolts should slide into slots in this lower base. You will need to remove the old broken heads with a screwdriver. They may be stuck with rust and gunge.

Slide the new bolts in so the threaded parts stick upwards.

Fit the new seal over the 4 bolts. This can be tricky as the holes are small.

Then the main black base of the bog goes on top and your carefully tighten it down with 4 nuts and washers, screwing down each nut a turn or two in sequence till they are all tight.

..............Dave

FWIW I stayed out of the original thread because the correct advice had been given. However my dump through is NOT secured in the way described in the last thread. My ex hire boat has two thick rubber gaskets (not the official ones) sat on to of the tank with non-standard bolts passing through the toilet base, the gaskets and the top of the tank. I replaced mine with four longish A4 stainless screws and nuts. i had to reach down through the open "flap" to fit and tighten the nuts. Maybe yours is like this and so does not use the "bayonet" hold down fitting.

Good thinking Tony. I think a photo would really help here.

OP, if posting a photo on the forum is beyond you (and it can be complicated) then I could PM you an email address and you could send it to me.

If Tony is right then buying a proper base flange from Leesan is the best approach. However if the hole in the top of tank has been cut too big the screws may have no plastic/steel to screw into and you have a bigger problem, but we will talk about fixes for that as and when!

Is your tank plastic or steel?

..............Dave

Thank you so much. I was being an idiot and this has helped me though. Struggling to get the top of the toilet back on those 4 screws though, seems like an impossible task...any tips?!

tank is plastic. I will fess up and tell you that I was going wrong from the start and was trying to screw down into those holes rather than slide the flat heads in and put the toilet on top of it. Now I have the toilet dismantled to the correct degree, old broken tops removed, new ones in but am really struggling to get the tank back on. The rubber seems slightly too big and needs to fit snug in order for the bolts to come out enough the toher side to be able to attach the washers, tips appreciated!

Edited by Hannah Jones McVey

If you have the bolts correctly in the slots then push the rubber gasket down over them…the holes are quite small as said so the rubber will grip on the bolts if you push it down…you then should be able to drop the toilet over the bolts….it may need pushing down gently to enable the washers and nuts to be fitted…..then tighten each one up a bit in turn until its snug….not too much or they might snap! if you have any some copper grease or even normal grease on the bolts helps to protect the bolts and makes it easier to remove next time!

Hope that helps a bit…..if you are still struggling please take a pic and we can see what the problem is.

Cheers

Gareth

TM-013_DetailMain.jpg

Above is the loo flange thingy (copied from MC's site)

The eight round holes (are there that many? - I thought mine only had four) are for bolts or screws (depends on what the tank is made of) and shouldn't need replacing - if they are stainless steel.

The bolts (screws) that holds the loo on to the above base plate, slot into the umm- slots above. The head of the bolts is shaped - see below - and the sticky out bits should be at right angles to the slot (it's not intuitive). When done properly the shaft of the bolt sits in the back of the slot (can't think of a clearer way of explaining it.) If the bolts aren't correctly placed - then the loo won't fit on top.

TM-019_DetailEnlarge.jpg

Fitting the loo is really a matter of lining up the pan assembly with the bolts. The pan has reinforcements where the bolts protrude - so it's easy (when grovelling on the floor) to line them up.

My previous complaint referred to the way they're made - so that they don't last for ever.....

Edited by OldGoat

To get the rubber seal over the bolts you can use a bit of washing up liquid down the holes.

Also try poking a crosshead screwdriver through the holes (from the top), rest the tip of the screwdriver on the top of the bolt, then slide the seal down, it works very well.

Have you detached the pan from the base or are you trying to put the whole lot over the bolts? Its much much easier if you separate the pan and fix the base, THEN fix the pan to the base. Its held on with a single big jubilee clip so evere so easy.

................Dav

To get the rubber seal over the bolts you can use a bit of washing up liquid down the holes.

Also try poking a crosshead screwdriver through the holes (from the top), rest the tip of the screwdriver on the top of the bolt, then slide the seal down, it works very well.

Have you detached the pan from the base or are you trying to put the whole lot over the bolts? Its much much easier if you separate the pan and fix the base, THEN fix the pan to the base. Its held on with a single big jubilee clip so evere so easy.

................Dav

Brill!

Why didn't I think of that...