3J5

Roadsteam

Featured Posts

Anybody got any footage of the starting and reversing of a 3J5.

I haven't seen any on utoob, I expect you've seen the footage of the Pochins engine but I don't remember any starting or reversing.

Why do you ask?

One of these

Gosh that's nice!

I don't remember any mention of such an engine in my rather nice "History of Gardner" book. I'll go back and read it again.

Intrigued by the "RN" sign on the bulkhead behind the engine. I don't suppose that remains there by accident. At first I took it for 'Russell Newbury' but then realised it is probably 'Royal Navy'...

Gosh that's nice!

I don't remember any mention of such an engine in my rather nice "History of Gardner" book. I'll go back and read it again.

Intrigued by the "RN" sign on the bulkhead behind the engine. I don't suppose that remains there by accident. At first I took it for 'Russell Newbury' but then realised it is probably 'Royal Navy'...

Photo taken in engine shop of Ellesmere Port museum. RN sign may not refer. Seem to remember this engine was pulled from 1920/30's private yacht.

Early two stroke Gardners don't get much mention it seems, most info being for L2 onwards. I'm sure you have seen the Gardner 4VT's in Swan and Skylark though. Such engines certainly mentioned in Kevin Whittles A-Z book.

Hi,

Thanks for the picture - I think I have a picture of one being started - but not reversed, at a Rally in 2007.

Will look it out and try to post it, it forms part of a film of several Gardners, one of which the HF13 is huge.

If I recall it was started using compressed air.

L.

Hi,

Thanks for the picture - I think I have a picture of one being started - but not reversed, at a Rally in 2007.

Will look it out and try to post it, it forms part of a film of several Gardners, one of which the HF13 is huge.

If I recall it was started using compressed air.

L.

So I wonder was it cold start? Normally such low compression two strokes need external heat source to give them a fighting chance of starting. Maybe Tim can throw some light.

Interested to hear how they are started. Cannot see any heat storage area on heads as with other two stroke semi-diesels.

They are cold start full diesels (or 'oil engines'). Straightforward air start.

It's what my little tug had when new (until the 1950s).

Tim

https://youtu.be/sHnZczdgvgY

Edit - 3.5 tons for 54 bhp., we now have a 4LW which is a bit over half a ton for the same horsepower, much much smaller, and only a few years younger.

Edited by Timleech

The 'Preliminary' to the J series sales brochure might be of interest to some:-

NKliLjP.gif

hs0zALg.gif

The 3J5 was the smallest of the range, 54 bhp @ 400 rpm, 8" bore and 9.75" stroke, while the largest offered was the 6J9.

That was 300 bhp@ 290 rpm, 6 cylinders, 12.5" bore and 15" stroke. 413 cwt net, ie over 20 tons for the benefit of any youngsters reading this wink.png

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Gosh that's nice!

I remember going on a large-ish vessel many years ago which had an RN 2 cylinder engine which powered the compressor for the air start. Perhaps that's what this is. While I was typing this it came to mind that perhaps I saw this setup on the "Massey Shaw"

I remember going on a large-ish vessel many years ago which had an RN 2 cylinder engine which powered the compressor for the air start. Perhaps that's what this is. While I was typing this it came to mind that perhaps I saw this setup on the "Massey Shaw"

As already stated, that pic is at the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum, the RN item has no connection with Gardner engine - it looks like the cover from the inlet side of an old RN cylinder head, they probably had a spare one which someone decided to screw to the door.

On my little tug, starting air - apart from the compressor on the main engine - was provided by a Gardner 0VC petrol engine with integral compressor cylinder:-

PBbWIxA.gif

Tim

Gosh that's nice!

Neither did I, so I had a fairly careful flick through my copy of the modestly-titled "Gardner: Legendary Engineering Excellence" (is this the same book as yours?) and yes, they are in there. They were apparently produced for only a short time by Gardner standards, from 1928 to 1940. There's even a photo of the massive 8J9, the largest engine that the firm ever built. The 3J5 was the baby of the family!

I haven't seen any on utoob, I expect you've seen the footage of the Pochins engine but I don't remember any starting or reversing.

Why do you ask?

I asked because i got the chap with it at Llandudno to demonstrate the reversing for me and i thought that it might interest some to see it. To reverse it without altering the revs setting you wind the direction handwheel(painted red) to mid gear and just before the engine stops turning wind rapidly into gear the other way giving the start air valve a quick lift to help. I believe that at full air pressure the built in linkage from the direction control should be enough. The Pochins engine is the other of the pair also pictured on here.

Edited by Roadsteam