Best traditional pubs on the Leeds and Liverpool

Guest Sulou

Featured Posts

Guest Sulou

Were back asking for suggestions again for our next trip. Actually for next week. Were going from Barnoldswick to Burnley then turning and heading to Leeds before turning again and finishing at Apperley Bridge.

Always had great suggestions for previous trips so looking for some good pub suggestions for this one please. Were not looking to eat in the pubs, just good real ale places on route or in the towns and villages along the way.

Also if anyone has great over night location suggestions, will be very grateful.

Thank you.

TBH on my trips across the L&L I've found good real ale pubs rather more sparse than on other canals.

Cross Keys, East Marton.

Narrow Boat, Skipton

Slater's Arms, Bradley

White Lion, Kildwick

Railway, Rodley

are all I can actually remember and recommend.

Best real ale pubs on the stretch between Barlick and Apperley Bridge are

The Fountain, Barlick

Cock and Bottle, Skipton

Robin Hood, Silsden

Fishermans Inn, Dowley Gap

Wouldn't recommend the pubs in Gargrave.

The Anchor in Salterforth has been much improved in recent years but sadly the Landlord is due to leave shortly. Let's hope a good replacement comes along.

Fountain in Barnoldswick also very good. The Greyhound up Manchester Road is an excellent traditional pub. There is also a lovely restaurant opposite the Fountain 'Jesters' if you want a very good meal (ignore the 1980's feel to the place)

Votes again for the Narrowboat Skipton and Slaters at Bradley - we ate there a couple of weeks ago and it remains good.

The Cross Keys is a particular fave of ours but it has yo-yo'd a little over the years. Owned by Copper Dragon, the beer is usually excellent.

Agree with the comment about Gargrave but there is a superb Indian Restaurant. Booking is essential.

If your going into Skipton, stop by the pie and mash shop its no 1 on tripadvisor for food in Skipton and i can vouch for the fantastic pies, chips (real ones) or mash and gravy. They taste fantastic and its good value for £6.

Its right by the boat trip hire store in the centre of Skipton

I recently took Solong from Leeds to a Wigan, visiting many of the pubs mentioned and would concur with the suggestions made so far. In addition I would recommend the Beer Engine in Skipton. It's a micro pub so no food. If you are hungry, get yourself a pie from stainforths! What they do have, however is a changing selection of 5real ales and one real cider on tap and in good condition. If you moor in Leeds basin, the Grove is near the canal (opposite side to the station). good beer and folk singers!

I wouldn't say that the fisherman's inn was the best of the bunch mentioned so far but Dowley Gap is the nearest decent overnight mooring to the Bingley 3 rise on the Leeds side, so worth considering when planning your journey.

Gargrave is indeed, dire.

I recently took Solong from Leeds to a Wigan, visiting many of the pubs mentioned and would concur with the suggestions made so far. In addition I would recommend the Beer Engine in Skipton. It's a micro pub so no food. If you are hungry, get yourself a pie from stainforths! What they do have, however is a changing selection of 5real ales and one real cider on tap and in good condition. If you moor in Leeds basin, the Grove is near the canal (opposite side to the station). good beer and folk singers!

I wouldn't say that the fisherman's inn was the best of the bunch mentioned so far but Dowley Gap is the nearest decent overnight mooring to the Bingley 3 rise on the Leeds side, so worth considering when planning your journey.

Gargrave is indeed, dire.

I'm doing the same trip later this year, and first night timing pretty much means Gargrave, eating at Bollywood Cottage -- are both the Old Swan and the Masons Arms really that bad for a beer?

Edited by IanD

Will be keeping an eye on this post as we are doing the Leeds Liverpool (west to east) next week. We always look out for Wetherspoons. The ale is generally good. We spent a few hours in the one in Skipton a couple of years back when the weather was horrendous.

I'm doing the same trip later this year, and first night timing pretty much means Gargrave, eating at Bollywood Cottage -- are both the Old Swan and the Masons Arms really that bad for a beer?

Can't comment on the Masons arms. Can't remember anything bad about the beer in the Swan, but can't remember anything good about it iether. Pub was a bit dark and depressing.

Can't comment on the Masons arms. Can't remember anything bad about the beer in the Swan, but can't remember anything good about it iether. Pub was a bit dark and depressing.

I've been in all 3 pubs in Gargrave (the other is The Anchor). I wouldn't go back to any of them. In fact Gargrave two years ago was a great disappointment compared to what I remembered from previous trips.

If you get as far as Foulridge, while you wait for the tunnel lights to change (.. which could be up to an hour..) there's The Hole In The Wall.. complete with the story of the famous Foulridge cow.

Re Gargrave, haven't been there for a few years but we found The Mason's Arms OK, in fact he even did us 8 meals even though we'd arrived late (.. and very wet..) well after the time they were meant to stop doing meals.

Re Skipton - Try The Wooly Sheep. It's a Timothy Taylor's pub with the full range of Taylor's beers on. Try the Dark Mild ! Do also visit the pie shop.

Been route planning today, would appreciate more pub comments, good beer #1 priority, then food...

Skipton -- Wooly Sheep or Narrow Boat?

Silsden -- King's Arms or Robin Hood?

Newlay -- Abbey (no real choice, hope it's as good as some say)

Bingley -- Brown Cow

Salterforth -- Anchor

Also any mooring suggestions in Bingley -- are there any just above or below the three-rise?

Plan for Gargrave is to eat at the Bollywood Cottage, then walk down to the Mason's Arms or waddle back up to the Old Swan depending how stuffed we're feeling...

One other crucial question for the last night -- working from from Canalplan I was planning to turn north of Foulridge Tunnel at the Foulridge Wharf winding hole between bridges 147 amd 148 and then stop at the Anchor at Salterforth. This just looks like a wider stretch of canal on Google and it isn't marked as a winding hole in Nicholson -- can I turn a 56 foot boat here?

Edited by IanD

Will be keeping an eye on this post as we are doing the Leeds Liverpool (west to east) next week. We always look out for Wetherspoons. The ale is generally good. We spent a few hours in the one in Skipton a couple of years back when the weather was horrendous.

There's one within the Leeds City station concourse, handy for the Basin. Absolutely heaving on a Saturday night, though.

Tim

If you get as far as Foulridge, while you wait for the tunnel lights to change (.. which could be up to an hour..) there's The Hole In The Wall.. complete with the story of the famous Foulridge cow.

Re Gargrave, haven't been there for a few years but we found The Mason's Arms OK, in fact he even did us 8 meals even though we'd arrived late (.. and very wet..) well after the time they were meant to stop doing meals.

Re Skipton - Try The Wooly Sheep. It's a Timothy Taylor's pub with the full range of Taylor's beers on. Try the Dark Mild ! Do also visit the pie shop.

Must be a while since you did this bit of canal as The Hole in the Wall was demolished 3 or 4 years ago!!

The Bridge at Hapton is a really good local smoky dive. Or was.

Think I'm right in saying it's been closed for years and is awaiting conversion to flats

There is another rough local just up from the canal never been in

Edited by jonathanA

Been route planning today, would appreciate more pub comments, good beer #1 priority, then food...

Skipton -- Wooly Sheep or Narrow Boat?

Silsden -- King's Arms or Robin Hood?

Newlay -- Abbey (no real choice, hope it's as good as some say)

Bingley -- Brown Cow

Salterforth -- Anchor

Also any mooring suggestions in Bingley -- are there any just above or below the three-rise?

Plan for Gargrave is to eat at the Bollywood Cottage, then walk down to the Mason's Arms or waddle back up to the Old Swan depending how stuffed we're feeling...

One other crucial question for the last night -- working from from Canalplan I was planning to turn north of Foulridge Tunnel at the Foulridge Wharf winding hole between bridges 147 amd 148 and then stop at the Anchor at Salterforth. This just looks like a wider stretch of canal on Google and it isn't marked as a winding hole in Nicholson -- can I turn a 56 foot boat here?

Bingley mooring just above 3 rise alongside damart factory is ok handy for shops too

Not quite sure about your proposed turning point tbh seem to recall a wide bit there but thinks it's very shallow on the off side.

I'd do the tunnel and wind at the winding hole just after the next bridge by time you've done that the tunnel will be on green again shame to miss out on doing the foulridge

Bingley mooring just above 3 rise alongside damart factory is ok handy for shops too

Not quite sure about your proposed turning point tbh seem to recall a wide bit there but thinks it's very shallow on the off side.

I'd do the tunnel and wind at the winding hole just after the next bridge by time you've done that the tunnel will be on green again shame to miss out on doing the foulridg

Thanks for the Bingley advice -- I assume you mean the bit where the canal curves away from the main road?

Thought of doing the tunnel but timing might be a little tricky -- we'll be in Skipton the previous night, plan to have the last night at the Anchor in Salterforth before returning the boat to the Lower Park Marina the next morning. Turning before the tunnel gives us about 7h30m cruising according to Canalplan, going through the tunnel will add an hour *if* we exactly hit the 10-minute-from-the-hour slot...

Actually I keep forgetting, the days are longer at the end of August than when we usually go later in the autumn, so should be no problem :-)

Think I'm right in saying it's been closed for years and is awaiting conversion to flats

There is another rough local just up from the canal never been in

I have. Walked out. Didn't even have Guinness, never mind any cask beer.

If you are at Greenberfield, you can use the Rolls Royce Social Club, which usually has at least two or three hand-pumped beers. Thursday is pie night, with a selection of home made ones for £5.50, and Friday is fish night.

If you are at Greenberfield, you can use the Rolls Royce Social Club, which usually has at least two or three hand-pumped beers. Thursday is pie night, with a selection of home made ones for £5.50, and Friday is fish night.

Sounds good.

Where to tie up, though?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Thnaks for the advice -- through Foulridge, wind and return it is, then. Let's hope we don't miss the ten-minute-per-hour entrance slot by one minute...

Though I did exactly that going down the Sustenpass in Switzerland years ago. Cue lots of cursing until I realised I was now at the front of the queue. Went and got a coffee, came back 45mins later to find a phalanx of motorbikes next to the car all raring to go. Lights go green, in front of me is a beautifully surfaced swooping downhill pass guaranteed to be totally traffic-free. All I can say is -- whoopee, pedal to the metal. Took seven minutes to get to the bottom, screeching round bends in the middle of a pack of bikes leaning over at 45 degrees, all ridden by people wearing big grins...