Look out for LELIA MAUD

c c

Featured Posts

Volunteer Lock Keepers at Hillmorton have found a key on a ball belonging to boat LELIA MAUD. If you see them, please tell them to contact canalchef café - 01788 567600 where they key is held.

Are you sure that name is correct? No such boat comes up on the Canal Plan boat listing?

Lily Maud perhaps?

Edited by MJG

The one advertised by Rugby Boats belongs to a one time forum member, though he has not, I think, been on here a while.

From memory I think it has been on site there for some time, (isn't that picture taken there?), so unlikely the keys to that boat have recently been lost elsewhere, I think?

The one advertised by Rugby Boats belongs to a one time forum member, though he has not, I think, been on here a while.

From memory I think it has been on site there for some time, (isn't that picture taken there?), so unlikely the keys to that boat have recently been lost elsewhere, I think?

It looks like Stowe Hill to me yes.

So if there is indeed another one at Kings Marina (ref Alan D E's post) the canal plan list doesn't seem to include it as the details of the listed Lily Maud better match the one being brokered by RBS.

ed. - There is also a Lilian Maud listed on Canalplan.

Edited by MJG

It is probably Lilly Maude that indeed was moored at newark and belongs to Keith ( jelunga ) The boat is now for sale at Doms at Rugby boat sales. Keith is selling for personal reasons known to some on the forum. I will contact him and Dom to c if they are the same keys.

Thanks

Tim

It's not Lily Maud. That is here at Stowe Hill and has been for a few weeks, and I have a big fat bunch of keys to go with it! Apparently there is also an index number on the bunch of keys that have been found and that comes up as a Springer called Sweeney, so probably that is the boat but with a name change. Thank you canalchef for raising the matter, but I suspect they have only been recently left there and the boat is probably still in the vicinity.

Edited by Dominic M

Dom has telephoned to make it clear that it is not the boat he is selling.

I took the name from the key float and spelt it exactly as it is.

LELIA MAUD

It also has the number 511356

It is thought the boat went through Hillmorton Locks 2 days ago.

Dom has telephoned to make it clear that it is not the boat he is selling.

I took the name from the key float and spelt it exactly as it is.

LELIA MAUD

It also has the number 511356

It is thought the boat went through Hillmorton Locks 2 days ago.

Fair enough. Only trying to be helpful.

(I find its often easy to misread writing on keys/tags etc etc. hence I thought of the possibility of the similar name)

It canna be far from Hillmorton, then. Can someone not jump in a car and deliver those keys to the rightful owner before a 240-page thread gains momentum?

- if nothing else, we'll be at Hillmorton 3rd June and are willing to deliver said keys to Lelia Maud on our way North towards Manchester.

Edited by Emerald Fox

If it's number 511356 it's unlikely to be a Springer, as that number must date from the mid-2000s, unless it transferred from another system such as the Middle Levels or EA waters.

If it's number 511356 it's unlikely to be a Springer, as that number must date from the mid-2000s, unless it transferred from another system such as the Middle Levels or EA waters.

Or if it is a reregistration of an older boat - very common.

Sickle is 1936 build but is numbered close to this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Delighted to report that we were able to return the keys to the owners this morning.

One of the keys was vital to the owners wheelchair operation and they were getting a bit desperate.

Oh yes and we checked the name of the boat letter by letter and the number of the boat number by number, and both were exactly as originally reported. We can confirm that the boat does exist.frusty.gif

So well done to the Volunteer Lock-keeper who found them

and a big query to CRT for not telephoning the owner when asked to do so on the day they were found!!

Delighted to report that we were able to return the keys to the owners this morning.

One of the keys was vital to the owners wheelchair operation and they were getting a bit desperate.

Oh yes and we checked the name of the boat letter by letter and the number of the boat number by number, and both were exactly as originally reported. We can confirm that the boat does exist.frusty.gif

So well done to the Volunteer Lock-keeper who found them

and a big query to CRT for not telephoning the owner when asked to do so on the day they were found!!

No need to be so sarcastic......

We're narrowboating in England June & July, but we do have a little 5m-long open fibreglass boat which I bought 11 years ago with a 20hp Evinrude. Boat is a Galax, made in Helsinki, seaworthy. Finland's southern coast is sprinkled with thousands of islands and you can land and camp on any of them providing not clearly owned, eg. there's a cottage on them. I have discovered some islands perfect for camping on, and also found some boat-sized 'harbours' around these islands so the boat doesn't sway too much with the waves/wind and keep bumping against the rocks.

I don't think people in overpopulated England can imagine how empty everything is up here - whole lakes all to yourself. There are lake 'systems' - you can drive a boat for days and days without needing to return on the same route.

I moved 'up North' 3.5 years ago and our local playground is the Rahja archipelago, a few islands where we can go boating in relative safety, no need to hack over large stretches of open sea. Another good long day out for us is to chuck the boat in the water in Kokkola and drive across the inland sea to Pietarsaari - 3.5 hours each way at 'normal speed'. This has added excitements in that you have to go through 2 guillotine sluices, operated electrically (you pull on a rope to get the mechanism running), and between Öjajärvi and Luodonjärvi (järvi = lake) there is a network of old canals and with the foliage it's a bit like going down the Amazon - you can almost expect to see crocodiles laying on the banks.

If you fancy borrowing our boat, drop us a PM :)

Haven't used it since last September - sea became unfrozen about 4 weeks ago - engine works fine but I have it on my list for someone to check it just to see all is OK - tends to cut out when cold, perhaps the 'needle hole' in the carburettor needs to be cleaned/opened.

Driving a boat long-distance on Finland's lakes must count as a real adventure. And not really dangerous, if engine stops you just row to the nearest shore and walk... on the sea is more serious - but even then, you gotta go 1200 kilometres south to get round Sweden and 300km up past Denmark to get to the North Sea before it really gets hazardous!

Have a look at these to give you some idea:

http://veneilya.blogspot.fi/2011/06/11-1262011-jyvaskyla-viitasaari.html

http://veneilya.blogspot.fi/2011/06/362011-varkaus-savonlinna-varkaus.html

http://veneilya.blogspot.fi/2011/05/2252011-jyvaskyla-jamsa-jyvaskyla.html

Our longest trips have been Mikkeli-Savonlinna-Mikkeli and Lahti-Jyväskylä (about 240km I think that was). Engine eats about 9 litres/hour gasoline.