Diesel day tank and BSS

DRA

Featured Posts

I've acquired a SigMar diesel stove to fit in my small Dutch Barge. The simplest solution to providing a fuel supply would be to install a day dank which I'd fill from a can. It used to be the case that the BSS allowed a day tank of less than 27 litres to be vented to the cabin by a small hole (in its filler cap) rather than having an external vent through the deck but the recent changes suggest this may not still be acceptable. does anyone know the truth of this, please?

I'd envisage a tank of about 12 litres, close to but not directly above the stove, linked by copper tube with compression fittings, with a tap on the outlet of the tank and another close to the stove. Ideally the tank filler cap would incorporate a filter of some sort. Any comments? Anyone know where I could buy such a beast, or have one made (close to Surrey, for preference)?

Thanks in anticipation.

David

the recent changes suggest this may not still be acceptable.

does anyone know the truth of this, please?

I'm not sure what changes you have read that suggest it is not acceptable, I'd be interested if we have conflicting information published.

I know the truth.

This is the text as appears in the BSS examination checking procedures:

"the small hole in the filler cap as provided by the original engine or fuel tank manufacturer, on fuel tanks of no more than 27 litres capacity, is deemed to meet this requirement."

So it continues to remain acceptable as described in the quote,

Good luck with the project.

The simplest solution to providing a fuel supply would be to install a day dank which I'd fill from a can.

If I were designing a system like this I'd incorporate a means of filling the day tank from the main tank with a rotary pump. We once had a very similar arrangement to the one you're proposing but found with the best will in the world it was difficult not to spill the odd drop of diesel. A bit pongy in living quarters.

Edited by koukouvagia

Hi, all, and thanks for the helpful responses.

Rob, I'd read the "guidance" but probably over-complicated it - I just wanted to be sure that the system I had in mind was OK rather than build it and then discover it didn't pass. Thanks for the confirmation.

Tonka, T Norris looks promising

Koukouvagia, something to bear in mind - it seemed like an added complication but maybe can be done simply.

David