Flower of Gloster - to be released on DVD in Sept. 2015

ChrisJBrady

Featured Posts

Since Liz and Mike appeared under their own christian names, and have no further credits, I wonder if they weren't regular actors, but perhaps children with boating experience.

It struck me that 'Mike' in particular seemed quite at home jumping on and off the boat so perhaps they did have boating experience. I wonder where they are now and what they remember of the filming?

I know the other two were young adult actors, both being 27, but I'm wondering how old they were supposed to be for the plot?

It struck me that 'Mike' in particular seemed quite at home jumping on and off the boat so perhaps they did have boating experience. I wonder where they are now and what they remember of the filming?

I know the other two were young adult actors, both being 27, but I'm wondering how old they were supposed to be for the plot?

I don't think Mike & liz did any more acting after Flower of Gloster. Richard O'Callaghan ( born Richard Rooke) is still going strong though.. His parents were actors Patricia Hayes & Valentine Brooke. Richard took over from Jim Dale in the Carry On films.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=patricia+hayes+son

Edited post for error noted by Derek R

Edited by Flyboy

I think you mean Richard O'Callaghan (born Richard Brooke): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_O'Callaghan And yes, he did take the place of Jim Dale in a couple of Carry On productions.

Mike was the young blond boy - there's no biography for him so he and Liz may well have been children of the film crew or boat orientated folk.

Anyways, Flyboy mentions Yesterday's Witness in another thread, and many boat people (and more) appearing in FoG are in that too.

PS Mike and Liz appear as being 10 & 12yrs respectively in the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flower_of_Gloster

Scroll down for the TV series. Originally broadcast in black & white.

PPS Worth checking out some early posts on this thread. I noticed the Water can had the name Michael S*** on the centre band. That must have been Michael Sampson.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75710&page=1#entry1559773

Edited by Derek R.

I think you mean Richard O'Callaghan (born Richard Brooke): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_O'Callaghan And yes, he did take the place of Jim Dale in a couple of Carry On productions.

Mike was the young blond boy - there's no biography for him so he and Liz may well have been children of the film crew or boat orientated folk.

Anyways, Flyboy mentions Yesterday's Witness in another thread, and many boat people (and more) appearing in FoG are in that too.

PS Mike and Liz appear as being 10 & 12yrs respectively in the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flower_of_Gloster

Scroll down for the TV series. Originally broadcast in black & white.

PPS Worth checking out some early posts on this thread. I noticed the Water can had the name Michael S*** on the centre band. That must have been Michael Sampson.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75710&page=1#entry1559773

Thanks for noticing my errors, I have edited my post. The Yesterday's Witness programme 'The Narrowboat Men' does not come up on BBC iplayer unfortunately so I wondered if anyone had a video copy of the programme.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/afeb4f65186e43318bfa1f354d194576

Edited by Flyboy

And, up to pres, no ideas on the location of 'Spon Lane'.

It's Oldbury locks. It fits in the with the storyline of taking a wrong turn to a dead end. I was wondering where the shots of them moored up "on the outskirts of Wolverhampton" were taken but I am guessing it may be the site of Thomas Clayton at Oldbury.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

The Capn's right. They've been tied up by some of Clayton's boats and turned left at Oldbury Junction onto the Titford canal with its locks in line with the towpath, there's a couple of shots looking into the Springfield Chemical Works with arches carrying the sidings. The boy is chucking stones in the water from the bridge carrying Tat Bank Rd. They get through three of the locks, and are pelted by the boys who stand on the bridge over the Crow arm (stanked off).

Edited by Derek R.

The Capn's right. They've been tied up by some of Clayton's boats and turned left at Oldbury Junction onto the Titford canal with its locks in line with the towpath, there's a couple of shots looking into the Springfield Chemical Works with arches carrying the sidings. The boy is chucking stones in the water from the bridge carrying Tat Bank Rd. They get through three of the locks, and are pelted by the boys who stand on the bridge over the Crow arm (stanked off).

So was Clayton's situated between Spon Lane and Oldbury Junctions? I had assumed it was between Oldbury and Bradeshall. Logically heading south they should have turned right on to the Titford Canal so presumably they had actually ascended Spon Lane locks to get there. Even more logically they would have been on the Birmingham level from Tipton.

JP

As has been said before the continuity is all over the place.

When they are tied up at Clayton's they are facing towards Brum, ie South. When they turn left at 'Spon Lane', or more correctly Oldbury Jn, they are heading North, ie towards Wolverhampton.

There is a picture of Clayton's boatyard taken in 1955 in Philip Weaver's 'The Birmingham Canal Navigations 1950 to 1977', page 41. The yard is just North of Oldbury Jn on the Old Main Line and the junction bridge over the OLM can be seen on the edge of the photo.

I've only known Oldbury Jn with the M5 on top. I took me the best part of an afternoon to work out where 'Spon Lane' was.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Claytons yard was situated between Stone Street bridge and Oldbury Junction, that's it on P41 in Philip Weaver's book looking North East from beneath Stone Street Bridge. Just beyond the footbridge in the distance is Oldbury Junction. The Gloster has come from Spon Lane Junction - beyond that footbridge. The picture of the same location is in the lower image on P41 looking the same way (believe it or not!). Empty and sterile.

Sorry Victor - when they incorrectly turn left into the Titford Canal, they are turning South towards Titford Pools - dead end. When they back-track and turn left at Oldbury Junction they are heading West Nor West towards Tipton Junction and Wolverhampton - the WRONG way!

But that's the film makers continuity for you - non existent. All they want are 'scenes' at 'locations', it's all about the story and not the geography. Birmingham is in effect BEHIND them, and off to the East S. East as the crow flies.

Where Claytons yard used to be is now beneath the M5, which at the time of filming had not been built. Claytons boats ceased transporting goods in 1966, around the time of the filming, hence the derelict state of boats thereabouts.

post-5975-0-45766000-1486384196_thumb.jpg

Not as clear as I'd like I'm afraid. Click on the image to enlarge.

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 1

Claytons yard was situated between Stone Street bridge and Oldbury Junction, that's it on P41 in Philip Weaver's book looking North East from beneath Stone Street Bridge. Just beyond the footbridge in the distance is Oldbury Junction. The Gloster has come from Spon Lane Junction - beyond that footbridge. The picture of the same location is in the lower image on P41 looking the same way (believe it or not!). Empty and sterile.

Sorry Victor - when they incorrectly turn left into the Titford Canal, they are turning South towards Titford Pools - dead end. When they back-track and turn left at Oldbury Junction they are heading West Nor West towards Tipton Junction and Wolverhampton - the WRONG way!

But that's the film makers continuity for you - non existent. All they want are 'scenes' at 'locations', it's all about the story and not the geography. Birmingham is in effect BEHIND them, and off to the East S. East as the crow flies.

Where Claytons yard used to be is now beneath the M5, which at the time of filming had not been built. Claytons boats ceased transporting goods in 1966, around the time of the filming, hence the derelict state of boats thereabouts.

attachicon.gifOldbury J.jpg

Does this help ? http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=15&lat=52.5065&lon=-2.0134&layers=171&right=BingHyb

attachicon.gifOldbury J.jpg

That's great. Thanks. I haven't yet watched the episode where they exit the branch. It was the bridge over the Crow arm that sealed the location in my mind. I bow hauled a butty up and down the locks last summer and that bridge - or more accurately the associated pipe bridge - was a pain.

Not sure why VV couldn't find Spon Lane Junction - unless he was looking at the M5 on a plan! Presumably it's one of the very first canal junctions on the network. Shame about how the location has been altered.

JP

Canal geography can be confusing but it isn't helped by the lack of continuity in the filming.

When they are tied up by Clayton's wharf FoG is facing towards Birmingham. After 'Mike' has returned they set off and 'Dick' asks "Where are we now?", 'Anne' replies "We've just been through Coseley Tunnel and we're coming up to Spon Lane Locks" But judging by the building in the background FoG has been winded and is now facing Wolverhampton. In the next scene FoG is turning left at Oldbury Jn, so must have been facing Wolverhampton. The action then cuts back to the 'where are we' conversation, with 'Dick' saying "Look there's the locks up ahead. That must be Spon Lane Locks"

I realised the location couldn't be Spon Lane but I couldn't work out where. Wikipedia gave the building (opening?) date for that bit of the M5 as 1969 and FoG was filmed in 1967. So I'm guessing that area was derelict waiting for the bulldozers to arrive.

As I said earlier I've only known that bit of the BCN with the motorway on top. It looks far more interesting in the pre M5 days.

Canal geography can be confusing but it isn't helped by the lack of continuity in the filming.

When they are tied up by Clayton's wharf FoG is facing towards Birmingham. After 'Mike' has returned they set off and 'Dick' asks "Where are we now?", 'Anne' replies "We've just been through Coseley Tunnel and we're coming up to Spon Lane Locks" But judging by the building in the background FoG has been winded and is now facing Wolverhampton. In the next scene FoG is turning left at Oldbury Jn, so must have been facing Wolverhampton. The action then cuts back to the 'where are we' conversation, with 'Dick' saying "Look there's the locks up ahead. That must be Spon Lane Locks"

I realised the location couldn't be Spon Lane but I couldn't work out where. Wikipedia gave the building (opening?) date for that bit of the M5 as 1969 and FoG was filmed in 1967. So I'm guessing that area was derelict waiting for the bulldozers to arrive.

As I said earlier I've only known that bit of the BCN with the motorway on top. It looks far more interesting in the pre M5 days.

Confusion on my part, sorry. I thought you meant you weren't sure about the distinction between Spon Lane and Oldbury junctions in real life which I must admit surprised me as I know you are avid BCN Challenger and knowledgeable about Midlands canals.

I can understand the continuity issues as it's really about finding suitable locations for filming and the audience was kids in the 60s not us boring old nostalgic farts fifty years later. I was amused by the stills of Foxton masquerading as Audlem and was Mike filmed on the wides of the northern T&M when looking for Baskerville supposedly somewhere near Brewood? The still of the kids lying in wait at the Crow was a bit weird, I thought my DVD had stuck for a moment when it cut to that for the third time.

Now I know where the locations are I shall have another watch.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Thanks for that Capt P.

captain.gif

The next episode, 'The City' starts with them faffing about back at the junction but they end up still pointing towards Wolverhampton. The Bill Grundy voice of doom intones:

"The morning of July 9th, the fifth day. Wolverhampton. Flower of Gloster still lost. Birmingham and the Gas Street Basin seemed as far away as ever."

They run into a friendly industrial archaeologist who accepts a lift on the boat and shows them the way to Brum. But before this he says in reply to 'Dick' saying they're trying to get to Gas Street, "Oh you have taken the wrong way, it's down there", pointing towards Wolverhampton!

There then follows a number BCN scenes, some of which I think I can identify, but some I can't. Any offers BCN fans?

03:35 FoG leaving Smethwick Bottom Lock, with the parallel lock on the far side of the bridge.

03:44 Smethwick Junction. Apart for the present day graffiti this doesn't seem to have changed much.

03:53 A shot along the New Main Line.

04:00 Between Smethwick Top Lock and the Engine Arm Junction? But with FoG on the OLM facing Wolverhampton? The NML below?

04:24 Ladywood Junction. I much prefer this look to the present day high rise development.

04:42 Can't place this location. Is it Winson Green Junction?

04:47 Again, not sure. Is it Rotton Park Junction?

04:50 Monument Lane Basin?

04:57 Back to the 04:00 location with 'Cypress' passing.

05:31 No idea where this is.

05:38 Same with this bridge 'ole.

Any offers as to these locations would be most welcome.

Edited by Victor Vectis

I still can't work out what is supposed to be happening as they approach Braunston, (some of which is actually the Heyhurst repsair yard on the Weaver)

Unlikely, but...

At Heyhurst yard, is there a blue boat with a crane in the hold in the background of any shots? A very long shot!

Just finished watching the series. Very enjoyable, pity about the bad camera work.

Actually I thought that added to the feeling - running about, chaotic time chase etc. Shows my ignorance as I thought it was a clever director/arty director.

I watched an old Morse last night and the Director technique on that episode was very characteristic (very unusual camera positions). He was called Hammond.

Edited by mark99

As a record of the canals in the late 60s it's very interesting but as a TV programme I thought it was at times a bit weird. Kids TV made by an adult who seemed to know bugger all about kids. It certainly didn't make we wish I had been alive to see the 60s.

JP

Did anyone else notice the steam train?