Flower of Gloster - to be released on DVD in Sept. 2015

ChrisJBrady

Featured Posts

Oh dear.

I have just watched final few episodes.

If anybody is unhappy with the continuity in the first ones, and hasn't yet seen the last, trust me, it doesn't get any better!

Highlights for me just had to be the short glimpses of the mainly Willow Wren, but also Blue Line (and other) boats and crews.

I am sure the boatman filling the kettle on Snipe was also a "real" boatman, but I didn't recognise him.

I'd need to back and check, but boatman Ken Nixon appears as himself in several episodes. I think it is probably he on Snipe, (which is of course Kildare, now the butty to President).

As for the boat being beamed from one end of the country to the other by the Starship Enterprise, just wait till you get to where they damage the rudder and a GU double lock becomes a lock towards the top of the Audlum Flight.

ohmy.png

Yes, seen it now - this is one of the best bits of time travel, isn't it. It certainly gets progressively more fanciful the further South they get.

They could have also saved some more of their precious time by only travelling South on the Grand Union in the area of Cassiobury, rather than turning North again at some stage.

Also a plot opportunity was missed, I felt. Elizabeth spends £3 10s 0d of their precious money on yards and yards of heavy curtain material in Birmingham. As they are trying to get through London, pursued by the rival boat, a perfect use for this would have been to chuck it off the back as they passed through Islington tunnel. I'm fairly sure the resulting prop foul would have meant they never got troubled again, having once tried to remove something similar from Sickle's prop in Birmingham!

I wondered how long it would be before anyone else mentioned him, after working for him on Jupiter and Saturn in 1962 and the crane, i am having nightmares about how much has changed, when you could buy a Josher with blonder for £30:00.

Yes, all good fun!! Just finished the lot. Dropping the pound when they were supposed to be on the Southern GU was clearly a narrow beam flight, the Northampton arm maybe? Wasn't that market trader with the ice cream van in the background at Market Drayton AND Brum.? Certainly the same van behind.

One howler early on - bottom gate paddles lifted with tops still open; Runs out of fuel in Betton Woods, but there's wash from the prop while bow hauling. Works for paying for the outboard repair - no money - (should have left it on the bottom!) so where's the money for refueling? And petrol for a diesel engine?

And "There's a bend in Blisworth tunnel . . ." Wrong tunnel. Southbound, but at Cosgrove they're locking up. But Woburn Abbey? That's a bit of a trek!! The adjacent park looked a lot like Cassiobury from the canalside.

Onto the Thames, and upstream through Tower - then downstream through Tower - then upstream through Canon & Southwark.

Loved the interaction with canal people, and what a pretty Mum on BELFAST! Pity they didn't get mentioned in the credits.

A bit cringeworthy in places, but Liked it. Will watch again.

Oh - and Dad was using the stick on the wrong leg - that made me laugh!!

PS: Did that three pot Lister ever get put in?? Didn't sound like it!

PPS: "Talfryn Thomas plays old man Evans, the 'baddie'. He was a professional character actor but doesn't get a credit." It's a shame. I met him in the eighties around Cook's Wharf where I think he may have had a boat. Enormous fun in a pub to the point of serious embarrassment for those not used to his sense of humour!

Edited by Derek R.

Richard O'Callaghan

Dick Doherty (13 episodes, 1967)

Elizabeth Doherty

Liz Doherty (13 episodes, 1967)

Michael Doherty

Mike Doherty (13 episodes, 1967)

Bill Grundy

Himself - Narrator (11 episodes, 1967)

Annette Robertson

Ann Robertson (10 episodes, 1967)

Dog

Baskerville (4 episodes, 1967)

Glenn Slowther

Dai Evans / ... (4 episodes, 1967)

Chocolate Charlie Atkins

Himself (3 episodes, 1967)

Ken Nixon

Jack Roberts

Talfryn Thomas

Old Man Evans (3 episodes, 1967)

Gwen Evans

Gwen Evans (3 episodes, 1967)

Jim Doherty

Jim Doherty (2 episodes, 1967)

Pete

Pete (2 episodes, 1967)

Mr. Newell

Mr. Newell (2 episodes, 1967)

Anderton Boat Lift Keeper

Himself (1 episode, 1967)

The Industrial Archaeologist

Mr. Baker

Museum Curator

Bearded Lock Keeper

X. Baker

Market Stall Holder

Horse

Itself (1 episode, 1967)

Sadsey Owner

Scottish Lock Keeper

Tony Lewery

Boat Yard Owner

Policewoman

Herself (1 episode, 1967)

Ginny

Ginny (1 episode, 1967)

Lock Keeper

Hostel Matron

Woburn Abbey Curator

Jim

Jim (1 episode, 1967)

London Lock Keeper

Baby

Baby (1 episode, 1967)

Thames Pilot

Midwife

Create a character page for: BaskervilleDai EvansOld Man EvansGwen EvansPeteMr. NewellItselfGinnyJimBabyCreate »?

Series Produced by

Bill Grundy

producer (13 episodes, 1967)

Series Music by

John Snow

(13 episodes, 1967)

Series Film Editing by

John Colville

(13 episodes, 1967)

Series Production Management

Keith Evans

production manager (13 episodes, 1967)

Series Art Department

Tony Lewery

livery painter (13 episodes, 1967)

Series Sound Department

Tony Jackson

boom operator (13 episodes, 1967)

Bill Kurban

sound (13 episodes, 1967)

Peter Walker

dubbing mixer (13 episodes, 1967)

Tim Ritson

dubbing editor (10 episodes, 1967)

Series Camera and Electrical Department

Michael J. Davis

camera operator (13 episodes, 1967)

John Martin

electrician (13 episodes, 1967)

Series Editorial Department

John Ralph

assistant editor (13 episodes, 1967)

Guy Taylor-Smith

assistant editor (13 episodes, 1967)

John Goldschmidt

assistant editor (6 episodes, 1967)

Series Other crew

Diana Bramwell

researcher (13 episodes, 1967)

Louise Williams

production assistant (13 episodes, 1967)

Series Thanks

Jack James

Loved the interaction with canal people, and what a pretty Mum on BELFAST! Pity they didn't get mentioned in the credits.

Yeahbut who was she?

I doubt ( durrr! ) she was genuinely 'with child' but was she an 'actor', a 'canal person' or just a random female who just happened to be on the towpath at the time?

Don't get me wrong. I loved this series then and now. I doubt I would be posting this or be a boat owner now if I hadn't watched it 50 odd years ago such was it's infulence on me.

I just find it's production values really odd.

And, up to pres, no ideas on the location of 'Spon Lane'.

One of the most interesting continuity challenges so far is in episoede three, where they decscend the flight of cheshire Locks. Dick opens the first paddle using a rather odd looking multiple eyed flat plate windlass, but is carrying a single eyed welded windlass as he crosses the gate., but when he reaches the opposite side he opens the other paddle with a single eyed forged windlass.

I don't know the area they are purportedly travelling though very well so far, so I am not really aware of any location errors, but when they get south of Birmingham I am sure every one will scream out at me, but I really only purchased the set so that I could, hopefully, spot old working boats and crews that I might recognise from my days on the GU in the 1960's.

Edited by David Schweizer

I don't know the area they are purportedly travelling though very well so far, so I am not really aware of any location errors, but when they get south of Birmingham I am sure every one will scream out at me, but I really only purchased the set so that I could, hopefully, spot old working boats and crews that I might recognise from my days on the GU in the 1960's.

Some cracking footage at 'Kingswood Junction' according to Mr Grundy's voice over of the pair being long lined through the top two sets of locks at Lapworth.

Have just skimmed through the first disk.

EDITED TO ADD:

Presumably the same Bill Grundy who's career subsequently never recovered from his errors of judgment when taunting the Sex Pistols in "interview"?

Or not?

Never mind the boll***** here's a Hudson.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

I still can't work out what is supposed to be happening as they approach Braunston, (some of which is actually the Heyhurst repsair yard on the Weaver!), allegedly with butty Barbara still in tow.

Whatever the "Grand Union" is immediately behind them, it is certainly no longer Barbara, and despite an immediate impression it may be on cross straps, I couldn't see any evidence it was being towed at all. I think it is probably a motor boat being independently driven, so that it gives an appearance of towing, but perhaps there is/are a rope/ropes there somewhere I'm missing.

Presumably they were avoiding the costs of dragging Barbara all the way to Braunston, simply to have to take it back again?

As an aside, I wonder if a second "cabin" boat actually travelled much of the route for filming purposes. If you actually study the Alan Herd "Narrowboat Afloat" series with Dover, you can occasionally spot an accompanying boat in the footage.

Yes,

Although I wasn't active early enough to know these folk, I would love to see as many as possible of the crews identified.

There are some obvious ones, such as the Brays with Ernie Kendal on Roger and Raymond, (and every time I see footage of Rose Bray she seems to look even wider than the last time - how did poor old Arthur fit in that cabin as well?

Other than that, clearly Charlie Atkins (senior) and Ken NIxon are identified, and actively take part, but who are the others?

Badsey and Bideford it is suggested are Sidney McDonald and family.

Then there are Widgeon (with Curlew's bow!) and Beverley in the tunnel - possibly the older Ted Ward ("Uncle" Ted Ward), but I'm far from convinced.

And a face looking out of a back cabin at Braunston, I'm sure is someone well known.

Others would include the chap taking the "coffin boat" Nuneaton into "Blisworth" (actually Braunston) tunnel at great speed and with an impressive breaking wash.

A crewing list for Willow Wren CTS in 1967 might help with some identities?

So who are they all?

Yes,

Although I wasn't active early enough to know these folk, I would love to see as many as possible of the crews identified.

There are some obvious ones, such as the Brays with Ernie Kendal on Roger and Raymond, (and every time I see footage of Rose Bray she seems to look even wider than the last time - how did poor old Arthur fit in that cabin as well?

According to Mike when she passed on part of the cabin had to be dismantled to get her body out.

Edited by Ray T

Yes, I'm sure Jeanette will be able to identify many people.

Thanks for the IMDB links - interesting that Dick and Ann were both 27, actors already and Dick is still acting. Liz and Mike were 13 and 10 and FOG is their only credit.

I also think its an great period piece - I do wonder if this is typical of Childrens TV in the 60s (I can't remeber !). Much of the speech seems quite natural (tho I guess you'd expect actors to make it sound like that).

2 more episodes to go but Wagon wheels all gone.

post-8273-0-71924400-1486203376_thumb.jpgpost-8273-0-71924400-1486203376_thumb.jpg

Come on Jeannette - you need to watch this!!

i watched this on a video years ago & ordered it on dvd but my dvd appears to have got lost

within our wonder of a postal system & the seller accepts no resposability

so awaiting a copy ordered from another provider .

here are a few pictures to help in the meantime.

1st is Sidney MCdonnald around 1973

2nd same person

3rd is Charlie Mcdonnald

4th = mixture of people I remember from the video sorry Alf if you are reading this not a good picture of you .

Dean Wallington & Lyndsey Jackson of this forum will no doubt have better pictures of the mcdonnalds as they are closer related

post-8273-0-47170900-1486203475_thumb.jpg

post-8273-0-33150900-1486203528_thumb.jpg

post-8273-0-17378200-1486203726_thumb.jpg

Yes, I'm sure Jeanette will be able to identify many people.

Thanks for the IMDB links - interesting that Dick and Ann were both 27, actors already and Dick is still acting. Liz and Mike were 13 and 10 and FOG is their only credit.

I also think its an great period piece - I do wonder if this is typical of Childrens TV in the 60s (I can't remeber !). Much of the speech seems quite natural (tho I guess you'd expect actors to make it sound like that).

2 more episodes to go but Wagon wheels all gone.

I'm staggered that Annette Robertson was 27 when this series was made in 1967. If Wikipedia is an accurate source she had been married to and divorced from the recently deceased John Hurt several years earlier (married 1962 to 1964, it says)

attachicon.gif100_3680.JPGattachicon.gif100_3680.JPG

i watched this on a video years ago & ordered it on dvd but my dvd appears to have got lost

within our wonder of a postal system & the seller accepts no resposability

so awaiting a copy ordered from another provider .

here are a few pictures to help in the meantime.

1st is Sidney MCdonnald around 1973

2nd same person

3rd is Charlie Mcdonnald

4th = mixture of people I remember from the video sorry Alf if you are reading this not a good picture of you .

Dean Wallington & Lyndsey Jackson of this forum will no doubt have better pictures of the mcdonnalds as they are closer related

Thanks Jeanette.

I had completely forgotten "Braunston Boats" as a source.

That's confirmed "Archie's" identification of Mr & Mrs Sid McDonald on Badsey & Bideford, (though I suspect "Archie" was already confident with that answer).

Although both claimed as 1967, that cover photo must be later than the TV series, as Badsey has received a repaint from scruffy BW "all over" blue to a much smarter blue and yellow to match Bideford.

It didn't last well though, because by the time the boat was dumped at Wendover at the start of the 1970s, the paintwork (and cabin-work) look very rough.

Yes,

Other than that, clearly Charlie Atkins (senior) and Ken NIxon are identified, and actively take part, but who are the others?

Badsey and Bideford it is suggested are Sidney McDonald and family.

Then there are Widgeon (with Curlew's bow!) and Beverley in the tunnel - possibly the older Ted Ward ("Uncle" Ted Ward), but I'm far from convinced.

And a face looking out of a back cabin at Braunston, I'm sure is someone well known.

Others would include the chap taking the "coffin boat" Nuneaton into "Blisworth" (actually Braunston) tunnel at great speed and with an impressive breaking wash.

A crewing list for Willow Wren CTS in 1967 might help with some identities?

So who are they all?

is this the list

Alton & Satalite = (Ted Ward) Badsey & Greenshank = ( Percy Hambridge) Belfast & Toucan = (John Boswell senior ) Buxton & Ara = (Ronnie Dell) Colshill & Baildon = ( Johnny Anderson) Curlew & Cygnus = ( Mark Harrison) Dipper & Hawksbury = (John Henry Meese ) Edgware & Capella = ( Les Ward ) Flamingo & Bideford = ( Ronnie Green ) Halsall & Bingley = (Ken Barrett ) Nuneaton & Bedworth = (Ken Ward ) Rail & Alperton = ( George Wain ) Redshank & Barnes = (Ted Barrett senior ) Slough & Aboyne = ( Billy Hunt ) Sudbury & Virginis = ( John Bellingham ) Tarporley & Banbury = (George Radford ) Whitby & Bordesley = ((Ted Barrett ) Widgeon & Beverley = (Ted Ward Known as uncle Ted to most )

Thanks Jeanette.

I had completely forgotten "Braunston Boats" as a source.

That's confirmed "Archie's" identification of Mr & Mrs Sid McDonald on Badsey & Bideford, (though I suspect "Archie" was already confident with that answer).

Although both claimed as 1967, that cover photo must be later than the TV series, as Badsey has received a repaint from scruffy BW "all over" blue to a much smarter blue and yellow to match Bideford.

It didn't last well though, because by the time the boat was dumped at Wendover at the start of the 1970s, the paintwork (and cabin-work) look very rough.

There's not much Archie does not know of or know the boating familys around the Coventry area he knows almost all my lot from there & a lot more. If he makes a statement you can guarantee its fact BRAUNSTON boat book states picture is from Summer 1967 boats still in British Waterways livery despite having been on hire to Willow Wren CTS for a number of years & the book was published in 1983 if that helps

Edited by jeannette smith harrison

is this the list

Alton & Satalite = (Ted Ward) Badsey & Greenshank = ( Percy Hambridge) Belfast & Toucan = (John Boswell senior ) Buxton & Ara = (Ronnie Dell) Colshill & Baildon = ( Johnny Anderson) Curlew & Cygnus = ( Mark Harrison) Dipper & Hawksbury = (John Henry Meese ) Edgware & Capella = ( Les Ward ) Flamingo & Bideford = ( Ronnie Green ) Halsall & Bingley = (Ken Barrett ) Nuneaton & Bedworth = (Ken Ward ) Rail & Alperton = ( George Wain ) Redshank & Barnes = (Ted Barrett senior ) Slough & Aboyne = ( Billy Hunt ) Sudbury & Virginis = ( John Bellingham ) Tarporley & Banbury = (George Radford ) Whitby & Bordesley = ((Ted Barrett ) Widgeon & Beverley = (Ted Ward Known as uncle Ted to most )

There's not much Archie does not know of or know the boating familys around the Coventry area he knows almost all my lot from there & a lot more. If he makes a statement you can guarantee its fact BRAUNSTON boat book states picture is from Summer 1967 boats still in British Waterways livery despite having been on hire to Willow Wren CTS for a number of years & the book was published in 1983 if that helps

I think that crewing list is from 1968 rather than 1967. They did seem to swap around boats a huge amount by this stage, and although I suspect the entry for "Uncle" Ted Ward may have been the same in 1967, then clearly a lot of the others had changed. Witness the fact that we have Sid McDonald on Bideford in 1967, but by 1968 it is Ron Green's, paired with Flamingo.

The interesting point about the repaints is that they were by then choosing to repaint some of the BW boats leased by Willow Wren CTS in what is effectively a copy of BW livery, (without the lettering), rather that switching them over to Willow Wren green and red colours, (I guess it may have needed less paint, if you were not greatly changing the colours!).

About half the last batch of repossessed boats dumped at Wendover were in shades of blue, and about half also in some form of Willow Wren colours.

Since Liz and Mike appeared under their own christian names, and have no further credits, I wonder if they weren't regular actors, but perhaps children with boating experience.

I still can't work out what is supposed to be happening as they approach Braunston, (some of which is actually the Heyhurst repsair yard on the Weaver!), allegedly with butty Barbara still in tow.

Whatever the "Grand Union" is immediately behind them, it is certainly no longer Barbara, and despite an immediate impression it may be on cross straps, I couldn't see any evidence it was being towed at all. I think it is probably a motor boat being independently driven, so that it gives an appearance of towing, but perhaps there is/are a rope/ropes there somewhere I'm missing.

Presumably they were avoiding the costs of dragging Barbara all the way to Braunston, simply to have to take it back again?

As an aside, I wonder if a second "cabin" boat actually travelled much of the route for filming purposes. If you actually study the Alan Herd "Narrowboat Afloat" series with Dover, you can occasionally spot an accompanying boat in the footage.

If that was the case, one has to ask, why the film crew sought to use Pisces for fiming if they already had a second boat? there was certainly no evidence of it at Stoke Bruerne whilst we were there.

Having experienced the approach of the fiming crew, and the evidence suggested in the film, i suspect that they just borrowed other boats and people whenever they could, and probably didn't pay them either!!

Edited by David Schweizer

I'm staggered that Annette Robertson was 27 when this series was made in 1967. If Wikipedia is an accurate source she had been married to and divorced from the recently deceased John Hurt several years earlier (married 1962 to 1964, it says)

Sir John Hurt had revealed not long before his death recently that he married Annette Robertson in the (mistaken) belief that she was pregnant. The marriage collapsed almost as soon as he discovered she wasn't, and things were not helped when she had an affair with the married Ken Russell, who directed her in two of his television films (casting her as a man in the second of them).