four counties & Llangollen in 2 weeks?

Woodsy

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We (husband & wife) have booked 2 weeks out of Gailey in late May, Canalplan & hire company websites suggest that the Four Counties Ring & Llangollen can each be done in a week. My query is it feasible to go from Gailey anti-clockwise on the FCR, divert down the Llangollen and back at Hurleston Jcn to continue down to Autherley and finish in the 2 weeks, or should we go clockwise from Gailey to Hurleston Jcn, Llangollen and return (forget about the Trent & Mersey this year)?

Long boating days don't bother me (relish them to be honest). The main reason for going to Llangollen is we really want to cross over the Pontcysllte aqueduct.

Concerns that I cannot answer from Canalplan or boating guides are if delays at Harecastle and locks are likely in late May, and if so will they seriously impact my first plan?

Obviously when we get to Hurleston Jcn I will know if we have enough time to divert, but if we don't have enough time it will be too late to change to a new cunning plan.

We appreciate any advise given & hope I have given enough information in this my 1st post.

Rgds Woodsy

Yeah there will be enough time. Its fairly long days (what did canalplan say? 7 hours a day?) so you'd need to be sure you are up and away in time, and keep track of your progress as you go so if you're falling behind, put in slightly longer days and go until about 6-7pm.

I worked it out as 9 hrs a day for 12 days, You will get delayed on the Llangollen and at Colwich lock and these could easily add up to 6 hrs with no problem. 1 1/2 hours at Colwich is not uncommon and over an hour at Grindley Brook if you have to wait for 3 boats to come down before the queue you are in can go up and you do that one twice

Is there a reason you want to go anti clockwise...? If you went clockwise then when you get back to Hurlstone Junction you will know how many days you have left and whether there is enough time to continue round the FCR or retrace your route back down the Shroppie and as you would already have done that bit you will know how long that would take.

Hi thanks, based on ditchcrawlers experience it would appear to be best to either forget the Trent & Mersey, or diverting down the Llangollen. Have just been reading "stuck on the Pontywotsic aqueduct" in general boating, which appears to only reinforce ditchcrawlers comments.

Hi Rob, my thinking was if going clockwise and I was seriously delayed on the Trent & Mersey leg I might not be able to get the boat back on time.

Hi thanks, based on ditchcrawlers experience it would appear to be best to either forget the Trent & Mersey, or diverting down the Llangollen. Have just been reading "stuck on the Pontywotsic aqueduct" in general boating, which appears to only reinforce ditchcrawlers comments.

Hi Rob, my thinking was if going clockwise and I was seriously delayed on the Trent & Mersey leg I might not be able to get the boat back on time.

Its not a major problem but something you should be aware off, you only need to put a 10 hour day in now and again to catch up if there is a problem and if you do the Llangollen first as was pointed out you would know how much time you have in hand. If you dont do the ring, I dont like them much, things look different on the way back.

So general consensus would be to go clockwise, and if there are unexpected delays on the Trent & Mersey 1 or 2 hr days should put me back on track again.

That wont be a problem (did bottom of foxton to Weedon Bec in 1 day - only problem was the missus stopped talking to me after we cleared Buckby until we stopped for dinner at the Heart of England)

So general consensus would be to go clockwise, and if there are unexpected delays on the Trent & Mersey 1 or 2 hr days should put me back on track again.

That wont be a problem (did bottom of foxton to Weedon Bec in 1 day - only problem was the missus stopped talking to me after we cleared Buckby until we stopped for dinner at the Heart of England)

That should have been 1 or 2 10hr days

I'd recommend anti-clockwise for the reason Stephen gives. Also you'll get to Hurleston nearer the end of the ring so you'll have a better idea of whether Llangollen is do-able by then. If you go clockwise and all is well when you're coming back off the Llangollen, you may decide to continue clockwise but get seriously held up on all the T&M locks, the S&W locks not to mention the big tunnel.

Anti-clockwise, your biggest risk is not making the aqueduct (so book a day boat another time), clockwise, you have a bigger risk of not getting back to the hire base. I know which I'd sooner avoid.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your opinion, after reviewing all of the above, I am fairly certain we will go anti-clockwise and see how we go.

Thank you all who have responded with your thoughts / ideas they are all appreciated.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your opinion, after reviewing all of the above, I am fairly certain we will go anti-clockwise and see how we go.

Thank you all who have responded with your thoughts / ideas they are all appreciated.

Whatever you do, you'll have a great time!

I did this ring last year and loved it!

I agree, go anti-clockwise first, which is what we did. That way by the time you get to Hurleston you will have a better idea of how much time you have left. Once you get past the Audlem and Tyrely flights it's largely lock free to Autherley where you can catch up time

If it's any help to you I have done the FCR in a hire boat quite comfortably in a week doing 8 hour days with a crew of 3 starting at Nantwich, we never really had any hold ups but on the last day we cruised for 10 hours to allow us to get back comfortably on the last afternoon.

I have also done the Llangollen comfortably in a week from Nantwich again with a crew of 3, one thing to note as other people have said is that Grindley Brook staircase can get a bit congested with sometimes a bit of canal rage thrown in.

You should turn at Trevor basin at the other side of the "Pontywotsic aqueduct" as it gets very narrow towards Llangollen, hope that helps.

If it's any help to you I have done the FCR in a hire boat quite comfortably in a week doing 8 hour days with a crew of 3 starting at Nantwich, we never really had any hold ups but on the last day we cruised for 10 hours to allow us to get back comfortably on the last afternoon.

I have also done the Llangollen comfortably in a week from Nantwich again with a crew of 3, one thing to note as other people have said is that Grindley Brook staircase can get a bit congested with sometimes a bit of canal rage thrown in.

You should turn at Trevor basin at the other side of the "Pontywotsic aqueduct" as it gets very narrow towards Llangollen, hope that helps.

For me it would seem a real shame to do that, the last section up to Llangollen is impressive, and if you can time to spend a night in the basin at Llangollen so much the better.

For me it would seem a real shame to do that, the last section up to Llangollen is impressive, and if you can time to spend a night in the basin at Llangollen so much the better.

Yes if you are pushed you can easily get up and back in less than a day.

Toatally agree as I have done that stretch many times, it was only if they didn't have the time.

We have always found a space,but could be difficult during school holidays. Am I correct in thinking that the CaRT man no longer comes round to collect money? .Dont know how they en force the 48 hours without daily checks

Is there usually plenty of room to moor in the terminus basin. We will be over that way during the summer holidays.

The night that you arrive will make a big difference to how full it basin will be. The hire boats in the main are there Tuesday/Wednesday nights. If you arrive on a Sunday like we did in August when it was perhaps only a third full, and Monday was not much fuller, you will have no problem.

Am I correct that you now buy the mooring permit from the wharf where the trip boats run from?

• 5 weeks later...