Boat crime & vandalism

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I think Mrbear is a little too black and white. Rules are not always that clear. Take this dogs one. Yes, if a guy takes his dog out without a lead lol the time, but what about the escapee as I referred to in a recent post. The rules in our marina say " dog......must be on leads at all times" so an escape will be breaking the rules. Twice and you're out according to Mrbear. The rules arep not always clear.

No hanging washing. No TVs aerials. What's a tv aerial? It's not always black and white.

I agree with the sentiment of Mrbear but the implementation is not easy.

Perhaps that is it but something in the tone leaves me thinking of a marina run by a martinet, populated only by "those with  high standards". While not objectionable in theory, the whole thing makes me uneasy.

1 hour ago, MRBear said:

I did not say twice, I said very very frequently.  it is not unreasonable to expect the owners of any pet to be responsible for that pets care and behaviour. 

No you didnt.

You said in post 37

"whether residential or leisure should be warned once then evicted to allow decent people to live in peace "

......er that is twice then.

That is why I said "too black and white"

• Greenie 1

that was not referencing an escaping pet, ref the escaping pet I said I wasn't sure if that situation contravened a breach of the rules but that if it was a regular occurrence then  measures to prevent the pet escaping continuously would be a reasonable request by the marina operators   the 1 warning refers to  general breach of rules, eg, refuelling on berth, you are taking things out of context I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, MRBear said:

that was not referencing an escaping pet, ref the escaping pet I said I wasn't sure if that situation contravened a breach of the rules but that if it was a regular occurrence then  measures to prevent the pet escaping continuously would be a reasonable request by the marina operators   the 1 warning refers to  general breach of rules, eg, refuelling on berth, you are taking things out of context I'm afraid.

No you were referencing rules. You said you wanted peeps evicted after breaking them a second time.

I mentioned the rule in a lot of marinas about dogs on leads.

Your two strikes and you are out is too black and white as I keep saying.

End of.

Give up.

I wont bother replying again.

On 02/06/2020 at 10:11, frahkn said:

Perhaps that is it but something in the tone leaves me thinking of a marina run by a martinet, populated only by "those with  high standards". While not objectionable in theory, the whole thing makes me uneasy.

Well, then you don't have to moor there! ?

There are lots of different moorings run by people with different standards, different prices and different and expectations of customer behaviour. There are people who want to live within a set of strict standards and those who would rather have a free-for-all where the operators turn a blind eye to everything and nobody bothers with the rules. They can all decide where they want to moor their boats. Plus there are a whole range of marinas and moorings somewhere between those two extremes.  

Nobody needs to feel uneasy about someone else's choices.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Well, then you don't have to moor there! ?

Nobody needs to feel uneasy about someone else's choices.

Not often that such profound thoughts are found on the site. You have lifted a weight from my shoulders!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2005 at 17:23, Jo and Paul said:

I live very close to there. There is an official travellers camp just next to the southern end of the Harecastle tunnel, dont know if that had anything to do with it :D

I remember when travellers took to the canals in badly maintained boats, what looked like dozens of kids and dogs running all over the towpaths, odd collections of "things" piled up on the roof and on the towpath. Initially they were waterborn hippies and as such were not a menace. Then the "travellers" took over and became a real problem. 

Gypsies have a belief that no-one owns land or property, so they don't steal, they just use whatever, then leave it for someone else to use. Travellers steal, damage and generally ruin things for genuine travelling people. They will camp somewhere until they have stolen everything they can, then they move on in their unlicensed, uninsured vehicles leaving a wasteland behind.

If you think I'm anti traveller then you're right. A certain Mr Darling (well known to the Police) broke into my car in Yorkshire some years ago, was seen doing it, but the entire traveller camp swore blind he was somewhere else at the time.