vactan

Jacky Russell

Featured Posts

Hi

I painted my quite rusty weed hatch floor with vactan. This was after wire brushing and removing all loose and semi loose rust and drying off the floor as much as possible. Unfortunately, the result is not entirely successful because the area turned mostly black as it was supposed to it is dotted with white flecks. This suggests the area is not entirely rust proofed. Does anyone know what should be done to correct the sitation.

Hi

I painted my quite rusty weed hatch floor with vactan. This was after wire brushing and removing all loose and semi loose rust and drying off the floor as much as possible. Unfortunately, the result is not entirely successful because the area turned mostly black as it was supposed to it is dotted with white flecks. This suggests the area is not entirely rust proofed. Does anyone know what should be done to correct the sitation.

Are the white flecks still tacky? That would be where the Vactan hasn't reacted and dried because there's no rust in those areas as Odana said. Edited by swift1894

Thanks for input on vactan.

I did know it was supposed to go black and the white flecks aren't an idea; they are just there Mike

If I were to do it again do i need to wire brush the vactan whereThe white bits are (if I just paint vactan on it will not penetrate through the white flecks) Oh yes, the flecks are not tacky Odana. Perhaps there was some water droplets stopping the vactan at these points.

Thanks to everyone

The vactan has white flecks, this is not an idea. The flecks are not tacky. If I re-do it should I wire brush the area first. If I just put more vactan on top it will not penetrate to the metal. Perhaps the white flecks were caused by water droplets caused by condensation which stopped the vactan getting throughat these points.

thanks

Jacky,

Run over the white bits in the Vactan with a hot air gun, you'll find they will vanish. I had the same problem when I did my water tank, it is just the cold baseplate not allowing the Vactan to cure fully.

Ken

What he said.

Have used Vactan for several years on our water tank. Got the same 'white flecks' last year. Contacted the company and got the same answer re: probably not curing properly due to temperature difference. Instead of hot air gun, placed a small fan heater in the tank for a short while till the spots disappeared. As we were (obviously) going to fill the tank with water again, we left it empty as long as we could until we needed to fill it. It's been fine. Hang in there.