A BCN tug for £1200 anybody? Ex Ernest Thomas one

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

This was noticed in another thread elsewhere. This is "Eagle" on of the ex Ernest Thomas hire boats.

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=409799

"Eagle" was converted from one of the older wooden tugs, either "Dot" or the first "Birchills", for the life of me I cannot remember which it was but probability would fall towards "Dot".

Although its a bit of a mess there is certainly the possibility of resurrecting a ET tug there!

Here is "Eagle" as a ET hire boat at Calf Heath:

gallery_5000_522_266367.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Eagle is indeed liz's old boat moored at Lower gu early 80s and mainly at Cowley. Saw boat years later on gu North and on shroppie slowly getting older... Saw Liz at middlewich in early 2000s when she I believed had town class motor. Eagle and hazel ( converted butty) used to boat together sometimes. In those days there were more composite and wooden boats lived on than modern boats, as canal cruisers as the modern stuff ( ours included) were relatively expensive compared to an old boat. Now of course to restore the hull of a woody you need upwards of 5 figures but ebay will sell you a livaboard for four!

I think I remember Eagle joining the fleet at Gailey during my all-too-brief association with ET. At the time I assumed that they were all new builds -- were some of them?

Giles

The wooden boats were all conversions of either tug, joey or ex Severners. Later on they had new build boats in steel.