'Historic' boats still in the CRT fleet?

junior

Featured Posts

I appreciate this subject might have been covered before, but using a basic search reference wasn't able to find anything.

On my travels recently I've seen both HERCULES and GAILEY out and about still in use as work/maintenance boats with CRT. I also saw one of SICKLE'S relations moored near Cosgrove last year but can't find the photo or recall which boat.

So it got me interested about what other 'historic' boats are still worked by CRT other than these 3, and wondered if anyone has pictures?

Do CRT have any long term plans to maintain some historic boats within the fleet or are they on paper 'just another boat'? I say on paper because GAILEY especially looked well looked after and turned out by the guys responsible. Do the fleet managers appreciate these boats for what they are or will they just get run into the ground and then sold of/scrapped when they are not financially worth running or maintain?

20150407_141635_zpssotf8t0l.jpg

20141207_150048_zpsw30eyfcv.jpg

I know BARNET has been well covered on the forum recently and will probably get a mention, but although it carries a workboat licence i discounted it as it is in private ownership.

Depends if you want boats that are actually working for CRT or boats that are within CRT ownership and still out and about. If the latter then Sculptor at Stoke Bruerne, Leo, Scorpio, Nansen II, Swift are at Icknield Port Loop and Ilkeston at Ellesmere Port are still in use but not really working. There's Northwich, Oak and Wye I think at Gloucester but they don't seem to go out now. I am sure there are more at Ellesmere but these boats are very much non-working former working boats but are owned by CRT.

ETA: Heritage Working Boats cross posted with Rob-M

Edited by Leo No2

I appreciate this subject might have been covered before, but using a basic search reference wasn't able to find anything.

On my travels recently I've seen both HERCULES and GAILEY out and about still in use as work/maintenance boats with CRT. I also saw one of SICKLE'S relations moored near Cosgrove last year but can't find the photo or recall which boat.

So it got me interested about what other 'historic' boats are still worked by CRT other than these 3, and wondered if anyone has pictures?

Do CRT have any long term plans to maintain some historic boats within the fleet or are they on paper 'just another boat'? I say on paper because GAILEY especially looked well looked after and turned out by the guys responsible. Do the fleet managers appreciate these boats for what they are or will they just get run into the ground and then sold of/scrapped when they are not financially worth running or maintain?

Unless things have changed very recently, in the area where you encountered "Hercules" and "Gailey", I believe "Malvern" is also still in active use.

(Warning: If you look up "Malvern" there were more than one FMC Malverns - this is not the one that was a former horse boat, converted to a motor, and was for a long while for sale with a fairly elderly steel full cabin conversion.....)

I know BARNET has been well covered on the forum recently and will probably get a mention, but although it carries a workboat licence i discounted it as it is in private ownership.

I am not quite sure why you have mentioned "Barnet". This is my boat and owned by me. It has a maintenance workboat licence which costs 1/10th of a normal licence but carries conditions. There a dozens of other private boats licenced as workboats. The "Barnet" is NOT part of the CRT fleet but enjoys a free mooring whilst available to them for volunteer work, substantial repairs have been made to the boat recently (December/January) to bring it up to spec and we have a offer of a long term CRT workplan, However our crew have become (not unreasonably) disillusioned with CRT not using us for some three years and we now have not enough able crew to carry out the tasks offered. The boat is now for sale on Apollo Duck (http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=407043) with that playing a major part in the reason to dispose of it.

As for the boats "up North" you can thank Jim Taylor in the main for the way they were looked after and used, sad to say he is no longer with CRT.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I am not quite sure why you have mentioned "Barnet". This is my boat and owned by me. It has a maintenance workboat licence which costs 1/10th of a normal licence but carries conditions. The boat is NOT part of the CRT fleet but enjoys a free mooring whilst available to them for volunteer work,

I'm not quite sure why I shouldn't have mentioned Barnet, especially since I said exactly what you have just said, but in less detail.

I know that you know that I know exactly what the score is with Barnet regarding licencing and who owns it. I mentioned it to preemp anyone else giving it as an example of a boat still in the CRT fleet, an inaccuracy that someone could possibly have made due to the recent threads on here where you have been discussing your previous partnerships with CRT and the mentioning of it having a workboat licence, a mooring in a maintenance yard and being covered by CRT insurance whilst working for them.

Are you not going to be able to take up the offer of work from CRT now Laurence? That is a real shame if so.

Sad to hear Jim Taylor is no longer with CRT I fervently hope it was his choice to leave and not because of some actions undertaken by the trust.

Are you not going to be able to take up the offer of work from CRT now Laurence? That is a real shame if so.

Sad to hear Jim Taylor is no longer with CRT I fervently hope it was his choice to leave and not because of some actions undertaken by the trust.

In reality Andy our two able crew are quite a distance away and cannot do regular work, I don't really think training up new crew is something I want to undertake at the moment for medical reasons.

CRT came in far too late and it was only the intervention of Richard Parry CEO which caused the idea to be put forward, the scheme was a remake of the old 1970 "Keep the channel clear campaign" BW ran with "Gardenia" with much enhanced functions. But it needs weekday regular crew.

I had quietly offered Barnet up for sale before xmas but had only tyre kickers around so we decided to try and refurbish to a high standard and get CRT off their arses and demand they did something, sfter a meeting with Richard Parry it worked. The downside was I made the GUCCCo mistake of spending money and not checking there was crew!

People wont stand around for ever and find other things to do.

As for Jim he is working for Land & Water so keep an eye out, he's still in the game.