Has anyone walked the Thames Path?

Featured Posts

Last weekend I walked from Henley to Marlow along the Thames Path and it was glorious. So much so, that I want to walk more of it. As I am moored on the Thames Path my intention is this weekend to hop on the train to Maidenhead and then walk the 13 miles or so to Runnymeade.

Weather and time permitted I'd like to get as much of it walked this year as possible.

We used to do the wine challenge, cycle from Brentford to Hampton Court Palace stopping for a glass of wine at every pub you pass. Once we had made it to Cigarette Island opposite the palace where I fell over. Trying to recover I got on one knee and a passing boater thought I was proposing to Charlotte! He reversed up and gave us a bottle of wine!

A year later we returned and I did actually pop the question in the same spot!

• Greenie 1

I live by the side of the Thames Path at Rotherhithe so one of my favourite walks is to Westminster or, going in the opposite direction to Greenwich.

I've never walked as far as the Thames Barrier where the path ends, but I've often cycled that stretch.

One of the joys of this part of the path is the excellent historic pubs along the way - The Angel in Bermondesy, The Mayflower in Rotherhithe and the Cutty Sark and the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich.

There are good public transport links to take you back to central London.

If you were feeling energetic you could cross the Thames via the foot tunnel at Greenwich and then walk back along the north bank of the Thames via the Regents and St.Katharine's docks. Historic pubs on this stretch are the Grapes in Limehouse and the Captain Kidd in Wapping.

Wanted - I like the idea of a wine challenge! and thats such a lovely story!

Koukouvagia - Thanks for all that info. I'm looking forward to getting out and exploring more.

I will keep you all updated with my progress. I might add it to my new blog.

A small group of us from work walked 50km of the path from Putney to Runnymede in 2013 as part of an Action Challenge charity walk. It was a long day but an excellent walk and it inspired me to try and walk more of it in the future.

I used to be a trustee of a charity called "The Very Moving Festival Company" whose objective was to spread the word about music, especially choral singing. They did this by undertaking cross country walks each summer performing specially commisioned musical works at schools along the way, many of the children had never seen a live performance before !

During millennium year they walked from Letchlade to the Thames barrage.

It took 4 weeks, with school performances and musical interludes at many of the locks ( at one, the lockie produced his own saxophone and joined in.)

Final performance was at the smaller of the 2 Millennium domes.

I was able to join them on the walk at weekends. I especially remember a private visit to Hampton Court where were able to sing in the chapel, and performing on one of the stages at the Henley regatta.

The guys who managed to do the whole walk said it was the best one they ever did.

Edited by Bullfrog