Swimming - first dip of the year

Featured Posts

Swimming I think should be added to this sub-forum btw

Anyway my post is about my first swim of the year. Flucking freezing is all I can say lol. Every bit of me wanted to run back out but I knew once I stayed in a bit I should acclimatise. I did stay in for 20 mins or so but the hands never stopped screaming at me (they were the ones suffering the most) so I got out and lay looking out into the water to dry off.

So note to all, April is still too cold for river swimming unless nuts. But I must get a ladder attached to my stern ASAP so I can get in and out from my side of the shore rather than the 10 min walk all the way round.

Who else swims and when do you start?

Is it wise to swim in rivers?

"Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection carried in rat’s urine which may contaminate water, for example in lakes and rivers. The bacteria does not survive long in dry conditions or salt water. The risk of infection is greater in stagnant or slow-moving water but cases have occurred in swift moving streams and lowland rivers. There is an enhanced risk where flash floods have washed out rat runs."

http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/leptospirosis_and_weil_s_disease.pdf

Edited by Ray T

I like swimming in rivers and have swam in the Thames since I was a boy...and there is nothing wrong with me. Go on...

Joking aside there are dangers but it is very enjoyable...just keep your mouth shut!

I have yet to be in this year so well done - I think - Pennie

Hell yes - numereous gravel pits, Grand Union** virtually every weekend in summer and the Thames (you ain't really a Londoner unless you've swam in the Thames)........... that was a few years back mind!

**I was that pain in the 'rse teenager jumping in locks around the boats.

Edited by mark99

It depends on which rivers you swim in. The Soar is a surprisingly clean river and cases of Weils disease haven't been reported from it in 10 years or something close to that.

Are you the Rose of York moored between Sileby and Cossington? if so we pass you regularly. And yes I do swim in water adjacent to the Wreake quite often when I capsize dinghy sailing. Never had a problem from doing it.

I've swum in the Nene, Thames and Severn (not always intentionally!)

I "swam" in the Grand Union in January.

Probably about 5 degrees, so even not allowing for the serious shoulder injury I still have, I really really would not recommend it!

I used to be a keen outdoor swimmer, was part of a relay team etc., but since I moved inland onto the boat (ironically) I have not been. I love the sea (from April to November tops) and rivers, but I'm not so sold on reservoirs and would never get into the canal out of choice!

There is an Outdoor Swimming Society, do you know of it?

Edited by Starcoaster

Its a bit early for swimming in the rivers just yet. Even Liam hasn't been in yet this year laugh.png

I used to be a keen outdoor swimmer, was part of a relay team etc., but since I moved inland onto the boat (ironically) I have not been. I love the sea (from April to November tops) and rivers, but I'm not so sold on reservoirs and would never get into the canal out of choice!

We tend to do much more (intentional) swimming on the coast then on the rivers from the boat.

The harbour at Well next the Sea is a great swimming spot at low water. The relatively shallow water heats up quicker so is a nice temperature for swimming. You do have to take note of the tide times though as the tide rips in and out.

I've had my first dip in the Thames this week. Admittedly it was part of a British Canoe Union course, so there was a lot of role play and rope throwing involved, but I would have been in for a dip within a few weeks anyway. When moored on the Thames we would swim regularly from the boat, the Oxford is far less tempting now!

I've had my first dip in the Thames this week. Admittedly it was part of a British Canoe Union course, so there was a lot of role play and rope throwing involved, but I would have been in for a dip within a few weeks anyway. When moored on the Thames we would swim regularly from the boat, the Oxford is far less tempting now!

Are you the Rose of York moored between Sileby and Cossington? if so we pass you regularly. And yes I do swim in water adjacent to the Wreake quite often when I capsize dinghy sailing. Never had a problem from doing it.

not me, but didn't realise my name twin was so close :-)

April and November swims in the sea?! you're brave lol. May to September for me but then again I tend to go to the Welsh coast and it warms up so slowly.

Reservoirs and lakes aren't bad for swimming and can get quite warm if not too deep but you have to pick which ones are safe enough and don't have too much rain run off into them as that can cause weeds to bloom and bacteria levels to rise (one lake I used to swim in smelt awful after particularly heavy rains and put me off swimming in it for a while)

I'm sure there are societies out there. There are facebook group page I'm a member of and then you can find ones locally to yourself (the midlands one is very friendly)

Apart from swimming on the Thames in summer, my other swims have been of necessity (or boredom in this case!) smile.png

DSC06899.JPG

"Exploring" Normanton Sunken Island (Tidal Trent, I forgot mate steering had not done tidal Trent before)