Stratford on Avon trip ..any tips?

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Hi,

Where do you obtain a mooring permit from. I'm just thinking I may drop down onto the river for the night as I've had 48hrs in the basin in the past. Nothing wrong with the basin, other than you become a tourist attraction.icecream.gif

Thanks!

Hi,

Where do you obtain a mooring permit from. I'm just thinking I may drop down onto the river for the night as I've had 48hrs in the basin in the past. Nothing wrong with the basin, other than you become a tourist attraction.icecream.gif

Thanks!

Moored in the basin by the lock you will see the Stratford Waterways Information boat, that will sell you whatever ANT licence you want.

Moored in the basin by the lock you will see the Stratford Waterways Information boat, that will sell you whatever ANT licence you want.

I think the boat is seasonal, so if it's not there it's probably reasonable to just go down to moor anyway. Although you would think it would be manned post-Easter.

I think the boat is seasonal, so if it's not there it's probably reasonable to just go down to moor anyway. Although you would think it would be manned post-Easter.

1st April to 31st October according to the ANT web site, so it should be there now. If the boat id shut by the time you get there I would jsut do down onto the river, you can always walk up in the morning when its open and sort it out. The marina in Stratford also sells the licences if its out of the season when the boat is there.

Unless you're a CCer.

Are you saying that ANT will not let you have a visitor licence if you don't have a home mooring? I don't remember them asking for that sort of information either in Stratford or Tewkesbury. I was talking about visitor licences, I don't think the OP is after a long term ANT licence and I don't think the boat deals in those anyway.

Its open now, but oddly enough when I was there at Easter they were happily selling ANT licences to boaters wanting to go on the River, but their boat in the canal basin was not licenced with CRT !

Edited by Geoff

Tried it last November and CRT sent us back in disgrace as Badsey was apparently too wide to get through the Stratford lock gates which did not open fully.

Years ago you would see a lengthsman with a long aluminium pole clearing silt from behind lock gates on the southern Stratford to enable them to open fully. However, in recent years this appears not to happen as a matter of routine.

I usually find plenty of room in the locks themselves but sometimes have to resort to opening and closing the lower gates of a couple of locks to exit and if that does not work then using the long shaft to clear out behind the gate.

This Easter seemed slightly worse than usual.

For what it's worth (and I accept that it might be an old wives tale) I was told that silt build up is due to a combination of single bottom gates and moved position on the gate.

Are you saying that ANT will not let you have a visitor licence if you don't have a home mooring? I don't remember them asking for that sort of information either in Stratford or Tewkesbury. I was talking about visitor licences, I don't think the OP is after a long term ANT licence and I don't think the boat deals in those anyway.

Its the other way round, I think. They will offer short term licences to any kind of boat(er) with a CRT licence, but the longer term licences under a reciprocal agreement are not available to CRT licence holders who have declared no home mooring. The details are on the Avon Navigation Trust website, its worth having a look at. I just tried to look and find the link but their website appears to be down at the moment.

Found it:

CRT CONTINUOUS CRUISING CRAFT: can only apply for a short
term licence.

CRT RECIPROCAL LICENCES. The Trust has reciprocal licensing arrangements
with Canal & River Trust. Boaters with an annual ANT licence
and a permanent mooring on the Avon can purchase a discounted reciprocal,
3,6,9,or 12 month CRT long term licence at 20% discount for canals & rivers
or rivers only. Boaters with an annual CRT licence and a permanent mooring
on CRT waters can purchase a discounted reciprocal annual ANT licence at
20% discount as shown in the table of charges. Proof of permanent mooring
and CRT licence will be required.

from...

http://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/Licence%20Info%202015.pdf

I don't know how long your boat is, but at 70ft we can't go down the Avon locks with another 70 ft boat. The locks are a bit over 2 narrow boats wide, but only just long enough, and with 2 long boats you can't get the bottom gates open.

However it's fine on your own or with a shorter boat.

Sue

Its the other way round, I think. They will offer short term licences to any kind of boat(er) with a CRT licence, but the longer term licences under a reciprocal agreement are not available to CRT licence holders who have declared no home mooring. The details are on the Avon Navigation Trust website, its worth having a look at. I just tried to look and find the link but their website appears to be down at the moment.

Yes that is what I meant.

Fox's tips for the Stratford:

We drove the whole length & back again (from the W&B) June 2013.

1. It's Warwick Road Bridge No.68 that is the really low one - even we squished the witch's hat down into our short chimney! Mind your heads also there!

2. We were told we'd need to lift our fenders up south of Lapworth as the locks are narrow - indeed they are - and we did.

3. Lowsonford Fleur de Lys pub - miserable landlord refused to let us charge our digital cameras whilst we were having a meal and drinks there. We had asked politely. Left us with bitter taste in mouth (not because we wuz drinking Bitter, heh!)

4. Bottom of Lapworth 2 pubs - Boot Inn we found to be full of Hooray Henrys & Henriettas with their fancy Merc SLKs and BMWs moored up, so we went to The Navigation Inn on the GU and found the staff there friendly, it was a nice pub and they had our custom 2 evenings running (recommended).

5. Electric drawbridge at Shirley - you have to keep pressing the button in to make the barrier go up/down - let go and it will stop. Get the boat ready beforehand so when bridge is up you don't waste any more seconds and annoy the car drivers.

6. Elsan (contents!) disposal Stratford Basin - on eastern side, corner of River Avon, there's a boat shop and they'll give you a key for opening manhole cover which is surrounded by a low wall. We paid 2 Pounds for this as I remember. You'll have to wait at a lights-controlled pedestrian crossing to cross the road but just look serious and pretend you're on important business and that the country's economy will collapse unless you are unhindered in your mission! (and that it doesn't really contain 20kg of poo).

We had no problems with any of the locks and the canal is a gem. Lyons boatyard between Yardley & Brandwood Tunnel = nice people and shop (if you pop in tell them Tempus Fugit's new owners sent you to them ;) )

3. Lowsonford Fleur de Lys pub - miserable landlord refused to let us charge our digital cameras whilst we were having a meal and drinks there. We had asked politely. Left us with bitter taste in mouth (not because we wuz drinking Bitter, heh!)

Indeed. It was the prominent notice at the entrance setting out in stark detail where you were NOT allowed to eat that first suggested we might not expect the warmest welcome .

Not a fan of the FDL either, nuf said.

As someone who uses this pub at least a couple of times per year (last visit - last week), I have always found the staff very welcoming and efficient. An example of this was the unsolicited provision of a tray and staff holding two doors open so that I could takes drinks out to the beer garden.

However, I do feel that the FDL could do much more to encourage boaters and capitalise on its canal-side location.

I stopped at the FDL last year, arriving about two minutes before they stopped doing food. As we were mooring against their garden the landlord came out to see if we wanted food and said they wouldn't close the kitchen until we had ordered. Certainly what I would call good service and the food was very good. The garden mooring could do with some work but then it probably wouldn't have been empty and given the rest of the pound had no available moorings we would have been stuck.

I mentioned the F-de-L in passing, and it was a while back - I thought the more relevant points being the low bridge (or high water level under it!) & lifting fenders at locks below Lapworth.

In a positive light I could mention the pub I stumbled across in Rugby town centre called The Squirrel - pleasant typical cosy pub and nice landlady - I would happily go back again (and we may well do soon!).

I moor my boat on the Stratford canal, and my wife and I often cruise to Stratford. We love this canal with a passion. I found the comments about the Fleur De Lys very interesting. How long ago did members have problems with the miserable landlord? as the pub changed hands last year and I have found that the new people who now run it are more boater friendly. Admittedly the moorings on the pub side could do with some updating but at this point in the canal banking that side is shaped like a dogs hind leg. I have noticed over the years that the locks are getting harder and I put this down to a combination of the wife and I getting older and lack of maintenance. The design of the bottom gates leads to rubbish collecting behind them and hence they do not go back in their seating. hence if you leave fenders down watch out as you may well get wedged between the gate. I also agree with the comment about the Anglo Welsh hire base. I have sort advice/ help several times over the years and was let down every time, they appear "not bothered"

Also if your a single handed boater you will find several of the gates will open on their own, especially a couple on the Wilmcote flight. I have seen regular single boaters using mop handles or a piece of 3x2 to wedge open the gates. All that said it is still a beautiful canal.

I found the comments about the Fleur De Lys very interesting. How long ago did members have problems with the miserable landlord? as the pub changed hands last year and I have found that the new people who now run it are more boater friendly.

March last year in our case. I'm pleased to hear there are new owners, we'll give them a try next time presuming they came in after March.

"Consider yourself lucky that you haven't received a ribbing for even contemplating having fenders down in ANY narrow locks!" (n-n)

We were behind a narowboat on the south Oxford in October - they had got wedged in a deepish lock, fenders down. As I'm small (not small enough to be considered as a gas-locker-painting-rent-a-dwarf though) I slithered down and could tug on the fender that was the main culprit and then went round lifting all their fenders up and they were through.

Then it was our turn in the lock and I lifted all ours up just in case - although we had been in that lock before and had had no problems. Well... there was ample room, so we've always left our fenders down (apart from those below Lapworth of course). I wonder if our boat is a couple of inches thinner than other types... (Delph Marine built).

I often pull the boat in & out of locks by hand so any rubbing would be noticed.

A list of the narrowest / most awkward locks on the whole system would be appreciated :)

(above comments - have made a note. Fleur-de-Lys has a new slate with me from today :) )