I find myself in the unusual position

kris88

Featured Posts

Kris, firstly, I don't wish this to sound like I want CRT to take action against you, I don't, it's your home and you have a right to a roof. But, and I say this because I have genuine solidarity to those that travel, cruise or whatever, you need to also consider the other cc'ers in this. Right now CRT are looking for examples just like yours and the bloke who recorded his phone call too bolster any claims they have to change legislation. Whilst I understand you are in a sticky spot, from an outside perspective I can only see it fair on others and safer for you and your boat to get yourself on some hard standing or on a mooring for a bit.

Then - of course - aside from the 1995 Act there are other laws, one example :-

1965 Bye-Laws

Fitness of Vessels

3. No person shall bring use or leave in any canal any vessel which is not in every respect fit for navigation on the canal or part thereof where it is intended to be used.

Indeed but I think your point will be ignored like all the others answering his own question about what rules folk think he is breaking. Kris88 seems more interested in a bit of mud slinging with Naughty Cal.

My boat has a current liscence, safety certificate and insurance. As I understand it this is what is needed for a boat to be on the water.

Regards kris

I will always defend myself against Rachel's attacks.

Edited by kris88

Kris, firstly, I don't wish this to sound like I want CRT to take action against you, I don't, it's your home and you have a right to a roof. But, and I say this because I have genuine solidarity to those that travel, cruise or whatever, you need to also consider the other cc'ers in this. Right now CRT are looking for examples just like yours and the bloke who recorded his phone call too bolster any claims they have to change legislation. Whilst I understand you are in a sticky spot, from an outside perspective I can only see it fair on others and safer for you and your boat to get yourself on some hard standing or on a mooring for a bit.

I agree it should not be about losing ones home and I would not like that to be an outcome at all. But an increasingly polarised stand between CRT and Kris88 is not going to end well and as you say gives CRT reasons to do what they seem to want to to change the cruising rules.

There are solutions to this problem. Some will involve money but some may not particularly with a willingness of some local fellow boaters to help.

My boat has a current liscence, safety certificate and insurance. As I understand it this is what is needed for a boat to be on the water.

Regards kris

Yes but that licence comes with terms and conditions backed up with an act of parliament and bye laws as has been pointed out to you that you seem to be ignoring. Your understanding is very incomplete if you think you can just buy a licence and then do what ever you wish no matter what without any consequences to you or your property.

Regards kris

That is what is needed for a licence to be issued - NOT what is needed to remain on the water.

Compliance with Laws and Byelaws is not optional.

You have an MOT and insurance on your car - you can get a licence.

Having a licence does not mean you can break speed limits, go the wrong way along the motorway, or park where you want for as long as you want.

I'm touched by every bodies concern over my financial situation. I can assure you I have enough money to put my boat back together and get moving again. I'll say again for anybody who hasn't read the thread. The new metal and old bearings have gone to the machine shop, when the new bearings are made I will be going into the local dry dock to fit them and the new propshaft and prop.

Regards kris

Sometimes you really do have to just tell someone how it is rather then just pussy footing around pretending all is fine and dandy.

In this case the OP has taken the piss, he knows he is taking the piss yet is still claiming CRT are in the wrong! None of this is CRT's problem, the OP needs to sort it out, not the other way around.

I'm not the one facing enforcement action and losing my home.

Well put, Rachael, saved me the trouble.

I'm touched by every bodies concern over my financial situation. I can assure you I have enough money to put my boat back together and get moving again. I'll say again for anybody who hasn't read the thread. The new metal and old bearings have gone to the machine shop, when the new bearings are made I will be going into the local dry dock to fit them and the new propshaft and prop.

Regards kris

But you haven't enough money to meet your legal and financial obligations. You can't blame others for not sharing what seem to be your twisted priorities.

Thanks I didn't realise you are my bank manager.

Regards kris

You are yet again avoiding the point which has been made before. I am not claiming any right to tell you how to spend your money, however, much of it or little of it there may be. If you want to make it personal, that's up to you, but you cannot expect every poster to agree with you -- and it appears that most of us do not.

You have said before that it was a question of either fixing the boat, or paying your dues, but not both. Many have suggested that your legal obligations should come first. That's why they are legal obligations. More to the point, most of us can understand very clearly why CRT has adopted its current standpoint, and why it cannot bend the rules any further. It isn't as if you've had no leeway at all.

I sorry, but I cannot think of any more ways to explain it.

And if you don't have a place to keep the boat when you are not using it you need to move every 14 days.......

Is there something in that you don't understand?

Kris, YOU have stated you don't have the funds or capabilities to conform with the CRT requirements, no one else. When others bring it up you shout them down.

Do you have a home mooring?

Is the boat on that home mooring?

If the answer to either is no then you have contravened the t&c of your licence which is why CRT are getting in touch. If you can or will not comply, they may follow process to remove your boat.

I can't see where confusion lies here. Many posters have pointed out the regs, still more have offered advice, some even assistance. The only conclusion I can reach is that there is one unreasonable party in this situation and it is not CRT.

I genuinely hope you can restore the boat but you are mistaken if I have any truck with a situation that appears to be entirely of your own making.

Edited by davey b

Perhaps everyone should leave the lad alone and stop prying into his private affairs, it's not like he put them into the public domain himself is it....

oops

Hope you're back cruising soon. Good luck.

Rog

Nobody has pried into his affairs - he has volunteered the information.

So yes, he DID put them into the public domain.

Only a five page thread - why not read it?

Thanks for the sentiment catweasel, it's happening, itll get done. I can't put the bearings in till they are made, it's an impossibility.

What annoys me is, CRT ringing me threating with taking my home, my livelihood and everything I own. Without ever coming and having a look at the situation. Surely you would send someone to visit to check the reality of the situation.

Regards kris

That costs CRT money, money which is then not available for maintenance etc. It is not up to CRT to nanny you, why should they be concerned with the minutiae of your life? It is up to you to make the running since it is you that is not compliant with the rules and seeking an alleviation from CRT. You do rather sound as though you expect the world to revolve around you.

Nobody has pried into his affairs - he has volunteered the information.So yes, he DID put them into the public domain.

Only a five page thread - why not read it?

You missed the "oops"

Thank you for your kind offer Martin it is appreciated

Regards kris

For all the people who have mentioned long term moorings. This stretch of canal has lost about 12 online moorings in the last 2 years. My boat is 14" wide none of the CRT moorings offered locally are that wide.

Regards kris

Were any of those lost 14ft wide? If so, you have a valid point and you could say to CRT you are waiting for the new marina moorings they were abolished for to become available. Otherwise you'd have rented one of the abolished 14ft wide moorings.

MtB

Kris,

There's an expression "When you're in a hole stop digging".

At the start of this thread you got some very positive responses from a variety of forum members sympathising with your predicament, and suggesting to you what you need to do to keep on the right side of CRT, including the offer of a month's free mooring. We have responded because we want to see you get your boat sorted and mobile again, so that you can go boating and get the enforcement officer off your back. The comments about your circumstances are all based on information that you yourself have put on this thread - I'm sure most of us know little if anything more about you than the information you have volunteered.

The forum responses have been almost unanimous - staying in one spot for months on end is not reasonable in the circumstances (whether you are licenced as a CCer in which case you are in breach of the '95 Act, or if you have a home mooring elsewhere and are in breach of the licence Ts & Cs). We have strongly recommended to you that because of the time you have been in one place you do need to take a mooring of some sort as a matter of urgency, or it will all end in tears.

Some have sought to argue elsewhere on the forum and in other places that CRT don't legally have the powers to require you to move on. Personally I think they are on pretty strong ground, but my opinion in this doesn't really matter. CRT believe they have the powers, and unless you are willing to risk everything on a legal battle to prove the point, you now have little option but to go along with their wishes.

As the thread has progressed, it is clear that you don't like the message you are being given. But throwing your toys out of the pram with certain members who you may have previously crossed swords with isn't really going to help matters. You started this thread asking for advice. Over the last 5 pages you have got that advice is spades, with a very clear message from the assembled minds of the forum as to what you need to do next. It is CRT you now need to satisfy, not us. So can I suggest you that you go back and reread the whole thread and carefully consider what you do next.

If you are waiting for a space to be booked in the dry dock in the near future, why not get someone to tow it further down for a couple of weeks or bowhaul it, then do the same back to the dry dock when a "date" is actually booked????

And before anyone says anything about me not knowing how difficult this can be, I bowed hauled both a widebeam and my own narrowboat for over 6 months!

This is one of those threads which could run and run and run, with a million folk all "making their point". I'm not sure it's really that healthy for Kris to have to answer every Tom Dick and Harry....whether he's right or wrong....it's now between him and CRT...

I reckon it might be wise to lock the thread at some point...I've been watching the Walking Dead for a while, and this thread reminds me of a horde of walkers/biters (zombies with gnashing teeth for those who haven't watched it)......with Kris beginning to swing an axe in multiple directions.

Perhaps we should now give Kris time to digest all the comments....get his boat to the drydock (if his prep work gets done in time) and hopefully there will be a peaceful resolution to the restoration of an old boat....

Thanks for the sentiment catweasel, it's happening, itll get done. I can't put the bearings in till they are made, it's an impossibility.

What annoys me is, CRT ringing me threating with taking my home, my livelihood and everything I own. Without ever coming and having a look at the situation. Surely you would send someone to visit to check the reality of the situation.

Regards kris

Kris you are quite correct, in thinking that C&RT once they discovered a situation, should have visited, to check the situation. Before going any further with enforcement.

Bod