Which pressure washer to buy?

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

Not really a boat equipment question, our 1980s Karcher K570 is in the process of giving up the ghost, so we are looking around for a replacement, that will clean both concrete surfaces, and the outside of our motorhome (GRP).

Anyone got any recommendations?

Oh, and I am informed that if it would steam clean the kitchen floor tiles, the management would be very happy.

Looking at all the options available both online and in local shops, my mind has boggled, hence this call to the forum!

Not really a boat equipment question, our 1980s Karcher K570 is in the process of giving up the ghost, so we are looking around for a replacement, that will clean both concrete surfaces, and the outside of our motorhome (GRP).

Anyone got any recommendations?

Oh, and I am informed that if it would steam clean the kitchen floor tiles, the management would be very happy.

Looking at all the options available both online and in local shops, my mind has boggled, hence this call to the forum!

We have a Karcher Compact.

Great little machine.

This is the current version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%A4rcher-Compact-Air-Cooled-Pressure-Washer/dp/B009QX8ANQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1428850838&sr=1-4&keywords=karcher+pressure+washer

Doesn't do steam though, and I don't believe any do. Bought it to replace a bigger older Karcher but this is equally powerful. I had to replace the older one after not draining it properly over winter and the frozen water inside damaged it beyond economical repair. I didn't hesitate replacing it with the same make.

PS be careful using a pressure washer on a motor-home, never use full blast near the doors/windows or any seals.

Edited by MJG

We have a Karcher Compact.

Great little machine.

This is the current version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%A4rcher-Compact-Air-Cooled-Pressure-Washer/dp/B009QX8ANQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1428850838&sr=1-4&keywords=karcher+pressure+washer

Doesn't do steam though, and I don't believe any do. Bought it to replace a bigger older Karcher but this is equally powerful. I had to replace the older one after not draining it properly over winter and the frozen water inside damaged it beyond economical repair. I didn't hesitate replacing it with the same make.

That's what happened with our Karcher last winter Water leaking out behind the plastic hose connector, took the casing apart and found a crack in the hose connector moulding, few quid for a new one off eBay and it's good as new. Quite pleased as I nearly ditched it for a new one.

That's what happened with our Karcher last winter Water leaking out behind the plastic hose connector, took the casing apart and found a crack in the hose connector moulding, few quid for a new one off eBay and it's good as new. Quite pleased as I nearly ditched it for a new one.

At the time I couldn't get the cheap replacement parts for mine, it was nearly as cheap to buy a new one so I did. The handle on the 'wand' was split as well as the internals. It was a lesson learned though and it now gets properly drained for the winter and gets brought into the integral garage for the winter rather than remaining in the garden shed.

To be fair to Karcher there are clear warnings about it in the manual.

Edited by MJG

I bought this Nilfisk a few weeks ago

Nilfisk seem to have a good rep on the internet, karcher have come in for a bashing recently for premature failure.

It's made a good job of the patio, and the car. Seems robustly built, the pressure is strong. One of the nozzles allows you to increase/decrease the pressure, in case you are worried about blasting your car tyres with a high pressure jet for instance.

I bought this Nilfisk a few weeks ago

Nilfisk seem to have a good rep on the internet, karcher have come in for a bashing recently for premature failure.

It's made a good job of the patio, and the car. Seems robustly built, the pressure is strong. One of the nozzles allows you to increase/decrease the pressure, in case you are worried about blasting your car tyres with a high pressure jet for instance.

Thanks, unfortunately the link sends me to screwfix's log on page. what model is it?

Edited by Stilllearning

Depends on frequency of use.

Modern units tend to be lower flowrate, so have a spinning head jet for stubbon dirt (slow) and wider jet for faster us (low power).

I bought a £70 Nilfisk C110.4 18 months ago after reading online that they where better value than the equiv Karcher and it lasted less than 6months before it packed up with failure of the pressure switch, I had used it about four times, doing the drive once with the patiohead, mountain bikes twice, and the kitcar once.

Still under warranty it was repaired by one of the only two dealers in the country (Barlows, Manchester) free of charge, which was actually a replacement unit, but it was a pain to have to take it to the shop and eventually ended up having to arrange a courier to collect it as I didnt have any free Saturdays left. I have not had it long enough to say if it will last any longer but the bloke at the shop said 'the domestic range is only really designed to be used once or twice a year.

Apparently the C125 is the smallest that you can get proper spares for and the slightly larger E140 is the most common and the one used for their hire washers, etc

I also have a Karcher 2## series which has lasted atleast at long as the above, including running all night without water in it....

And a Karcher semi-pro unit which was a dream to use but bigger than I expect you need or want to spend out on!

Daniel

When I was thinking of replacing our frost damaged Karcher I was quite keen on a Parkside from Lidl, not the smaller one, the bigger 130 bar one with integral house, seemed good value (when in stock!) Luckily they were out of stock which prompted me to repair the Karcher.

Take the specs of washers with a pinch of salt, look for working pressure not the normally stated static pressure, Lidl quote working pressure.

Hi,

Karcher K4 Compact, water cooled motor, fits a good range of accessories, good performance.

Don't bother with the cheaper units, especially the WOLF ones - rubbish!.

K2 for use on the boat - Accessories interchangeable.

Extending brush really good for conservatory roof and UPVC soffits on house.

Drain clearing kit excellent.

Make sure you drain it in winter (or bring into house).

L.