Knife or Crumb drawer?

dave moore

Featured Posts

I've heard some Notts lads call food "nosebag" - which is a great saying.

During my time in the forces i heard it referred to by those lesser mortals in the Army as all of the above, scran, scoff and nosebag. In the RAF we just used to call it "food".

When i worked with Americans they always called it "Chow".

My better half, Kim has a wealth of incomprehensible sayings. She's from Sunderland.

Bait = food

Gad'ge = anyone in minor authority

Bairne = small child

Haddaway (sod off?)

Why aye = yes I agree

How-way (I know I'm wrong when I hear that one).

smile.png

ETA oops I thought this was the V. Pub. Wandered OT.

Bate was the term used for food in South & Mid-Wales also (quite a log way from Sunderland!). Generally used by miners and farm workers to refer to the lunchtime sandwich or whatever that you took with you to work.

Ah ok, I just found this on Wikipedia

The word "butty" (a reference to the fact that butter is often used in British sandwiches) is common in some northern parts of England as a slang synonym for "sandwich", particularly to refer to certain kinds of sandwiches including the chip butty, bacon butty, or sausage butty, though some people[who?] make the distinction that a butty is made using a single buttered slice, folded over rather than cut.

So now I know!

When I was a young apprentice in the 6o's the old boy I was put with called knife & forks " Fighting Irons" and a bacon sarnie was a bacon banjo. He was ex navy.

I say old boy but he was younger than I am now... and I don't class myself as an old boy.wink.png

Edited by 1agos

Chicken on a raft was a Naval dish.

Our Bus depot canteen installed a microwave with coin in the slot food dispenser (a move to save staff wages). Two rashers of bacon with scrambled egg came out like fragmentation bombs and doormat.

• 2 months later...

Knife drawer since the 60s, but I could be wrong....dunno. Suspect both terms were interchangeable, depending on who was spoken to. Can't see a drawer being put in to a cabin just to catch crumbs...space, in such a constricted environment, would have been at a premium...think about it.,

Cheers

Dave

My Dad, Derbyshire-born, used to use it, to the chagrin of my Mum, also Derbyshire-born but who thought that she was a cut above him (and above most other people come to think of it).

Im also a Derbyshire lad; but didn't come across the term until having to do my conscripted military service